News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Worst interstate ever

Started by hotdogPi, August 13, 2013, 06:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which interstate is the worst interstate ever?

Interstate 99
18 (14.4%)
Interstate 97
13 (10.4%)
Interstate 238
20 (16%)
Interstate 180
42 (33.6%)
Other
32 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 125

Molandfreak

Or, alternatively, if any Hawaiian interstates are built on other islands, you could put the island name where the state name is supposed to go.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

NE2

That actually makes a lot of sense. Put Oahu above the number.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: xonhulu on August 20, 2013, 02:46:32 PM
the shield generator didn't have that feature

try "layouts" -> "interstate shields" -> "1961 generic".

it's not quite correct... the real 1961 generic has a slightly smaller red crown, but it's close enough and I'm too lazy to change it.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

xonhulu

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 20, 2013, 03:20:40 PM
try "layouts" -> "interstate shields" -> "1961 generic".

it's not quite correct... the real 1961 generic has a slightly smaller red crown, but it's close enough and I'm too lazy to change it.

Thanks for the tip, but I'm also too lazy to try it.

DandyDan

When I saw Interstate 180 in the poll, I assumed what they meant was the I-180 in Illinois.  That's a pointless interstate, at least now.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

pianocello

That double meaning is exactly why I voted for I-180.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

The Premier

Quote from: thenetwork on August 16, 2013, 08:54:46 AM
I-277 in Akron:

1) Less than 5 miles in length.
2) Does not connect to I-77 on one end, yet can easily be routed & co-signed with the 2 mile stretch of I-76 to do so.
3) I-277 is simply an overlap route on US-224. Simply signing it as US-224 - TO I-77 (or I-76) would serve the same purpose.
4) If ODOT truly wanted to make I-277 a true Akron bypass, co-sign I-277 further west along I-76/US 224 and route it up along the current SR-21 freeway back to I-77.

Or even better: Route I-277 to SR 21. It would serve much better as a by-pass of Akron and Canton.
Alex P. Dent

roadman65

If you live in Orlando, FL you would be saying that I-4 is the worst interstate trafficwise!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: vdeane on August 16, 2013, 10:17:17 PM
Actually, all of the north-south 2dis in the east have been used up.  Even if Schuster hadn't wanted I-99 because he liked the number, AASHTO would have had no other choice in designating the road because it was the only number available (don't forget, it's supposed to extend to Corning, so a 3di wouldn't work here).
That could be open for debate.  The current I-99 plus the extension to Corning could be a combination of two or three 3-dis (example: 270/280/186) or another case to warrant a suffixed 2di (79W or 81E).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Molandfreak

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 26, 2013, 11:49:44 AM
The current I-99 plus the extension to Corning could be a combination of two or three 3-dis
I strongly favor one number in any case of a continuous route. If anything, 99 could be a 3di from Cumberland to Williamsport, and 83 could be extended up U.S. 15, take over I-180, the rest of planned 99, and I-390.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on August 26, 2013, 10:43:14 AM
If you live in Orlando, FL you would be saying that I-4 is the worst interstate trafficwise!
Not southwest of downtown, it's not...

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Pete from Boston

What, no love (hate) for I-878?  It runs in only one direction, it's .7 miles long, and it's not signed as an Interstate.  I think it might really be the worst.

texaskdog

Quote from: DandyDan on August 24, 2013, 07:22:59 AM
When I saw Interstate 180 in the poll, I assumed what they meant was the I-180 in Illinois.  That's a pointless interstate, at least now.

Me too.  I guess they are all bunched together.

empirestate

Quote from: Molandfreak on August 26, 2013, 01:08:27 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on August 26, 2013, 11:49:44 AM
The current I-99 plus the extension to Corning could be a combination of two or three 3-dis
I strongly favor one number in any case of a continuous route. If anything, 99 could be a 3di from Cumberland to Williamsport, and 83 could be extended up U.S. 15, take over I-180, the rest of planned 99, and I-390.

I don't actually think of "original" I-99 (the US 220 corridor) as being particularly related to its northward extension (the US 15/NY 15 corridor). I-83 makes better sense, as the US 15 route continues down along the Susquehanna, even though of course that's not all freeway right now. If there weren't already a precedent of unrelated pairs of 2dis, I wouldn't object to having a northern and a southern I-83, with non-freeway US 15 in between, showing the relationship between the 83s.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 26, 2013, 05:20:22 PM
What, no love (hate) for I-878?  It runs in only one direction, it's .7 miles long, and it's not signed as an Interstate.  I think it might really be the worst.

it's not signed, so I'm okay with it.  the various I-375s need to go the same way.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Mr_Northside

Quote from: empirestate on August 26, 2013, 05:36:35 PM
If there weren't already a precedent of unrelated pairs of 2dis, I wouldn't object to having a northern and a southern I-83, with non-freeway US 15 in between, showing the relationship between the 83s.

Given that New York is pretty close to getting it's stretch of future I-99 done, it's possible we could see that split situation with I-99 for who knows how long, since a couple of stretches of US-220 north of I-80 (and the I-80 interchanges) seem to be in a permanent funding limbo.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

vdeane

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 26, 2013, 06:18:37 PM
Quote from: empirestate on August 26, 2013, 05:36:35 PM
If there weren't already a precedent of unrelated pairs of 2dis, I wouldn't object to having a northern and a southern I-83, with non-freeway US 15 in between, showing the relationship between the 83s.

Given that New York is pretty close to getting it's stretch of future I-99 done, it's possible we could see that split situation with I-99 for who knows how long, since a couple of stretches of US-220 north of I-80 (and the I-80 interchanges) seem to be in a permanent funding limbo.
Just one problem with that: PennDOT screwed up and US 15 north of Williamsport isn't actually up to interstate standards (or so I've heard from someone who works for NYSDOT).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

Quote from: vdeane on August 26, 2013, 09:36:38 PM
Just one problem with that: PennDOT screwed up and US 15 north of Williamsport isn't actually up to interstate standards (or so I've heard from someone who works for NYSDOT).
If you're talking about the recent rebuilding on the long grade, there'd probably be an exemption due to terrain.

Indyroads

You know i have honestly wondered why there hasn't been a aashto resolution or some sort of definition that would not allow an interstate designation for a 2di interstate to be shorter than lets say 50 miles or a 3di shorter than 2 miles. any interstates thatviolate these routes would have to be renumbered or decommissioned. It seems that any old connector can be assigned an interstate number and it doesnt even matter if its just a long offramp (ie I-190 in Butte MT and the unsigned I-115 in Great Falls MT. also some other examples are in St Pete FL (I-175 and I-375) and Miami (I-395) as well. this would also get rid of that nasty I-180 in Cheyenne as well.
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

Mr_Northside

Quote from: NE2 on August 26, 2013, 09:39:53 PM
Quote from: vdeane on August 26, 2013, 09:36:38 PM
If you're talking about the recent rebuilding on the long grade, there'd probably be an exemption due to terrain.

Really? I haven't heard about that.   Is it a more recent project done wrong, or one of the older ones. 
If it's one of the more recent stretches, I could also see getting an exemption.  I wonder who, and how, someone dropped the ball on that one.   
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

vdeane

I didn't think to ask which project at the time.  I believe it was for something that PennDOT wanted an exemption for but didn't actually wait for it to be approved only to run into a skeptical AASHTO.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Indyroads on August 27, 2013, 04:57:33 PM

You know i have honestly wondered why there hasn't been a aashto resolution or some sort of definition that would not allow an interstate designation for a 2di interstate to be shorter than lets say 50 miles or a 3di shorter than 2 miles. any interstates thatviolate these routes would have to be renumbered or decommissioned. It seems that any old connector can be assigned an interstate number and it doesnt even matter if its just a long offramp (ie I-190 in Butte MT and the unsigned I-115 in Great Falls MT. also some other examples are in St Pete FL (I-175 and I-375) and Miami (I-395) as well. this would also get rid of that nasty I-180 in Cheyenne as well.

This doesn't apply to extremes like 878, but I think there is so much politics involved that very few interested parties near the Interstate brand will let tht proximity go without a fight. 

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Indyroads on August 27, 2013, 04:57:33 PMYou know i have honestly wondered why there hasn't been a aashto resolution or some sort of definition that would not allow an interstate designation for a 2di interstate to be shorter than lets say 50 miles or a 3di shorter than 2 miles. any interstates thatviolate these routes would have to be renumbered or decommissioned. It seems that any old connector can be assigned an interstate number and it doesnt even matter if its just a long offramp (ie I-115 in Butte MT and the unsigned I-315 in Great Falls MT. also some other examples are in St Pete FL (I-175 and I-375) and Miami (I-395) as well. this would also get rid of that nasty I-180 in Cheyenne as well.

FTFY.

I think the worst interstate ever is that NC mess of 73 and 74.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Thing 342

I would say that 73 has a purpose. 74 is (with the plans to connect it to the Ohio - Iowa 74 basically dead) a needless parallel route that spends most of its time multiplexed with another route. The routing between 95 and Myrtle Beach is equally insane, and should really be rerouted to Wilmington via US 74/76.

31E

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on June 09, 1970, 03:36:39 AM
Yes I am aware that the western I-86 is a part of the big picture. I am looking to stir the pot!!

I've always thought I-86 should have been a 3di, considering its short length and the fact that it's a duplicate number. I go with I-238 for the worst number because it's not even a valid Interstate number (no I-38!), 480 has been an available number for the past 20 years, and it wasn't vital to get an Interstate shield slapped on it in the first place.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.