News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Hazardous Cargo signs

Started by BigMattFromTexas, November 06, 2009, 10:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

Does your state have those "HC" signs on BGS's? Texas does...
In this picture in San Antonio, TX you can see that hazardous cargo is prohibited.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Y0zKH3FrMxYntiI3yh2RYg?feat=directlink

Alps

Standalone only in NJ to the best of my knowledge (mounted with shields).

BigMattFromTexas

Quote from: AlpsROADS on November 06, 2009, 10:52:15 PM
Standalone only in NJ to the best of my knowledge (mounted with shields).
Whats a standalone?
BigMatt

deathtopumpkins

Matt: One standing alone.

I've seen those signs used periodically throughout my mid-atlantic travels, most recently in Boston directing hazardous cargo away from the Big Dig. Most were mounted right on the BGS just like a standard shield.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Revive 755

Missouri only uses standalones on separate signs to the best of my knowledge, and uses "HM" instead of "HC":
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=38.746486,-90.39422&spn=0,359.972534&z=16&layer=c&cbll=38.746563,-90.394186&panoid=3Iiq77F8Hxod_2eSMvDqnA&cbp=12,40.72,,0,-3.23

Probably the only hazardous materials restriction in the state there.

BigMattFromTexas

Well in San Angelo on Business 67(Sherwood Way) theres a "HC" sign just kinda chillin there for Loop 306.
DTP: Like this?
BigMatt

roadfro

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 06, 2009, 11:27:21 PM
Missouri only uses standalones on separate signs to the best of my knowledge, and uses "HM" instead of "HC":

The MUTCD changed the hazardous cargo ("HC") symbol signs to hazardous materials ("HM")--I believe this occurred with the 2003 edition.  I'm not sure on the reasoning for the change, but I'd guess it has to do with the interpretation that "cargo" applies to large semis or similar commercial vehicles, when they probably are looking to prohibit transport of all hazardous materials regardless of the type of vehicle it is transported in.

I only know of two locations in Nevada where hazardous material restrictions are applied: US 95 through Hawthorne (HM vehicles must detour via US 95 Truck/unsigned SR 362) and the I-215/McCarran Airport Connector tunnels.  In each case, the HM/HC prohibited signs are ground mounted; with the airport tunnel, there is additional advance overhead BWS with text stating that vehicles with hazardous cargo must exit.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

PAHighways

No "HC," or as in the latest MUTCD, "HM," signs in use in Pennsylvania.  Hazardous cargo/materials are prohibited in the four Pittsburgh tunnels and some are allowed through the ones on the Turnpike.  Large signs, similar to the graphic I have on the Turnpike Exit Guide, are located before the last interchange prior to the tunnels.  They outline which are allowed to pass through and which are required to exit.

WillWeaverRVA

DC has these (mounted on overhead gantries) on I-395 for the tunnels on the Center Leg Freeway. They were HC signs until a couple years ago when they became HM signs. I don't know of any in Virginia.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

burgess87

I used Hazardous Cargo permissions / prohibitions on all the "freeway-grade" routes in my SimCity version of Orleans County:

andytom

In the past year, ODOT put up 'HM' signs on the sign gantries leading into the Vista Ridge Tunnel here in Portland.  I don't recall having seen any others in OR.

--Andy

jdb1234

Alabama put up 'HC' signs in Mobile on I-10 approaching the Wallace Tunnel.  I am not sure if they are still there.

SSOWorld

Wisconsin has a few tunnels - but mostly part of ramps.  1 in Eau Claire, 2 in Milwaukee.  No HM/HC restrictions placed on them.  A few more tunnels are going in with the Mitchell interchange being rebuilt over the next few years.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

corco

Hazardous Cargo is routed on SR 509 from downtown to the Port of Tacoma, and that's usually mounted on a free-standing shield mounted to the pole on the side of the sign assembly

If I recall correctly, HC is routed around downtown Phoenix via I-17, and those shields are right on the sign assembly.

Greybear

In Little Rock, HC is routed around downtown Little Rock on either I-430 or I-440.

In addition to the HC tabs on the overhead BGS's, the following are also in use:

I-430 North approaching I-630 East:

I-440 West approaching I-30 East:

Alex

Quote from: jdb1234 on November 07, 2009, 07:44:11 PM
Alabama put up 'HC' signs in Mobile on I-10 approaching the Wallace Tunnel.  I am not sure if they are still there.

Only white guide signs are in place along Interstate 10 relating to the hazmat restriction. Reassurance shields posted along the U.S. 90/U.S. 98 Truck route on Bay Bridge Road however do coincide with HC signs.

Chris

Is there a difference between HC's and Hazmats?

J N Winkler

No.  "HC" (hazardous cargo) is old terminology, while "HM" (hazardous materials, sometimes abbreviated "hazmat") is current.  The change was made in a recent MUTCD revision (I think the Millennium edition) and was originally requested, I think, by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.  A number of states continue to use "HC" signs.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jdb1234

Quote from: AARoads on November 11, 2009, 12:37:16 PM
Quote from: jdb1234 on November 07, 2009, 07:44:11 PM

Only white guide signs are in place along Interstate 10 relating to the hazmat restriction. Reassurance shields posted along the U.S. 90/U.S. 98 Truck route on Bay Bridge Road however do coincide with HC signs.

Ah!  That's right!  It has been awhile since I have been out there, as I am more familiar with western Mobile.

hm insulators

Quote from: corco on November 08, 2009, 09:31:02 PM
Hazardous Cargo is routed on SR 509 from downtown to the Port of Tacoma, and that's usually mounted on a free-standing shield mounted to the pole on the side of the sign assembly

If I recall correctly, HC is routed around downtown Phoenix via I-17, and those shields are right on the sign assembly.

You're correct; the reason is that I-10 goes through the Deck Park Tunnel under downtown Phoenix.
Also, HC is not allowed to use the Loop 202 bridge over the Salt River in Tempe, just outside of Phoenix.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.