News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLRoads

A corridor study for US 301 in and around the city of Starke is still in a preliminary stage, with a PD&E study under way.  There are three alternatives for this project: a no project alternative, an urban alternative, and a rural alternative.  The urban alternative would leave the route on its current alignment but upgraded to a six-lane arterial (control access).  The rural alternative would bypass the city to the west and be a full on limited access highway, complete with grade separated interchanges.

Of the three, I would like to see the state build the limited access alternative, as that area is in need of bypasses around all the cities and towns it traverses.  Having lived in that area for 7 years, I've sat in traffic on that particular stretch more than I can count.  Plus it would be the first real limited access bypass for a US Highway constructed in Florida.

For more information on this project click here.

agentsteel53

what would Starke Police do if they couldn't put up a speed limit 25 sign anymore??
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Shubuta, MS lost out when U.S. 45 was realigned to a bypass. Hopefully the same would happen with Starke.

FLRoads

Quote from: aaroads on January 21, 2009, 01:00:56 AM
Shubuta, MS lost out when U.S. 45 was realigned to a bypass. Hopefully the same would happen with Starke.

Oh, I am sure they would find a way out to the bypass if and when it got built, knowing the police up in that neck of the woods.  There would probably be a new Hardee's or Waffle House built at the interchange with Florida 16 and those could be their staging areas...

andy3175

is us 301 currently a two-lane or four-lane highway? how much development is along the current alignment through Starke?
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Alex

I have a few photos of it in marinating in the queue.

agentsteel53

divided four-laner.  hardly anything once you get out of town, and then in town is the usual assortment of gas stations, wal-marts, etc. 

jake@aaroads.com

FLRoads

Quote from: andy3175 on January 21, 2009, 01:17:27 AM
is us 301 currently a two-lane or four-lane highway? how much development is along the current alignment through Starke?

Actually US 301 is an undivided multi-lane facility through Starke (4 thru lanes with a continuous center turn lane).  The last time I was through the area the growth was pretty much along the US 301 corridor from about 2 miles south of Florida 16 to about 2 miles north.  Not much development for the city but the traffic there is horrible.

agentsteel53

oh it's got no median through the town?

I just remember taking a bunch of the rural side streets looking for yellow 301s.  I remember there were a few in that general area; dunno if any where in Starke.

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

We just were told where two yellow U.S 301's are recently.

FLRoads

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 21, 2009, 01:28:06 AM
oh it's got no median through the town?

I just remember taking a bunch of the rural side streets looking for yellow 301s.  I remember there were a few in that general area; dunno if any where in Starke.

Yeah, through town it loses the median.  And the right-of-way is not wide enough there to facilitate the six-laning alternative.  Additional ROW would have to be acquired and businesses would have to be bought out.

And as far as any colored US 301 shields, there are none in Starke but there is one set north of town near Lawtey.

agentsteel53

I had forgotten where that one was.  Lawtey sounds about right.

jake@aaroads.com

FLRoads

Yes, it's located about a mile or so south of Lawtey.

FLRoads

Switching highways but in the same general area, I have received word from FDOT that the new signage to convert the eastern half of the Jacksonville Beltway from Florida 9A to I-295.  The bids are suppose to go out this September and the signage will be in place by sometime in 2010.  Also, once completely signed as I-295, the beltway will be split into the I-295 West Beltway and I-295 East Beltway with I-95 being the divider.  Exit numbers are already painted onto the off ramps on the eastern side but according to FDOT these may not be the final numbers (but I think they would be since they went ahead and marked them).  The only interchange that has exit tabs on the eastern half is at I-95 (heading westbound on 9A) and its exit number is 61.

FLRoads

In keeping in the Jacksonville vicinity, I would really love to see a short extension of I-10 from its current end at I-95 pushed south and east to Florida A1A via the JT Butler Boulevard expressway (Florida 202).  All that would need to be done is to reconfigure the interchange at I-95 and Florida 202 to facilitate high speed movements between north/southbound I-95 and east/westbound Florida 202.  And JTB is currently undergoing a project going from four lanes to six lanes (Kernan Boulevard east to San Pablo Road).  If the interchange at I-95 can be upgraded, then I-10 could be extended and thus, be a true coast to coast interstate, almost literally touching both oceans.

Alex

Just got the latest FDOT District Three newsletter, which includes the latest news on the five-year project to widen Interstate 110 in Pensacola.

The whole project will finally be completed by spring of this year. For those familiar with the project, its been since 2002 since Interstate 110 was barrier-free. The new split-diamond interchange between Airport Boulevard and Brent Lane is in its final phase and its completion will wrap up the project.

FLRoads

Here's some hope for one of our local busy intersections near Eglin Air Force Base:

Stimulus project: SR-123 flyover?

Local officials lobby for flyover at the road's intersection with SR-85
January 23, 2009 - 6:08 PM
Dusty Ricketts
Daily News

After years of delays, there finally is some hope that the proposed overpass at the southern intersection of State Roads 85 and 123 could become a reality.

The Florida Department of Transportation has had plans for a flyover ramp to connect SR 85 to northbound SR 123 for years. The flyover would reconfigure the congested intersection and eliminate the need for a traffic signal there.

The estimated $30.6-million project has been delayed numerous times because of the cost.

"The intent is to free up the traffic at that intersection by providing a flyover and some at-grade improvements," said Tommie Speights, spokesman for the DOT's Northwest Florida district. "The design on that is not complete."

In 2001, construction was scheduled to begin in fiscal 2007. However, the DOT has delayed the project three times since then.

Most recently, Okaloosa County officials were notified in December that the project had been pushed back again from fiscal 2012 to fiscal 2013.

Rather than accepting another delay, the Okaloosa-Walton Transportation Planning Organization met with DOT officials and the overpass has been added to the list of projects proposed by the state to be funded by the federal economic stimulus program.

Okaloosa County commissioners will write letters to their state and federal legislators seeking help to get the overpass approved. Commissioners hope the project will start before 2013.

"The plans are being updated to current standards in anticipation of potential funding from the economic stimulus package," Speights said. "The plans will be ready for bid advertisement within a month should funding become available."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Florida 123's southern terminus at Florida 85.  Photo taken 12/01/08. 

The photo above shows a portion of the current configuration at the intersection between Florida 123 and Florida 85.  One can see in the background traffic waiting in queue to turn from northbound Florida 85 onto Florida 123.  This intersection is known for its daily backups from those coming from the base and also for commuter traffic from the Fort Walton Beach area to points north, such as Crestview.

lamsalfl

Quote from: ComputerGuy on January 18, 2009, 01:49:30 PM
More expressways galore!

At least with Sunrail, transit is starting to slowly take some roots in Orlando.

FLRoads

Quote from: lamsalfl on January 26, 2009, 05:23:08 PM
Quote from: ComputerGuy on January 18, 2009, 01:49:30 PM
More expressways galore!

At least with Sunrail, transit is starting to slowly take some roots in Orlando.

Yes, very, very slowly.  In my opinion, the Sunrail will only benefit those who live directly next to the I-4 corridor, which is not the majority of the population in the Orlando metro area.  Everyone else will still have to use their own transportation to drive to the rail stations, which means they will still be clogging the crowded roadways to get there.

lamsalfl

mediaguru

Quote from: flaroadgeek on January 21, 2009, 01:11:24 PM
In keeping in the Jacksonville vicinity, I would really love to see a short extension of I-10 from its current end at I-95 pushed south and east to Florida A1A via the JT Butler Boulevard expressway (Florida 202).  All that would need to be done is to reconfigure the interchange at I-95 and Florida 202 to facilitate high speed movements between north/southbound I-95 and east/westbound Florida 202.  And JTB is currently undergoing a project going from four lanes to six lanes (Kernan Boulevard east to San Pablo Road).  If the interchange at I-95 can be upgraded, then I-10 could be extended and thus, be a true coast to coast interstate, almost literally touching both oceans.

I've often thought that an upgraded JTB/SR-202 would be a good Interstate candidate because of the major role it plays in connecting I-95 to the coast.  As far as extending I-10 onto the SR-202 alignment, it seems that such an extension would so dramatically affect heavily developed areas that it would be prohibitive.  There are a number of new interchange designs under consideration for I-95/SR-202 (see: http://www.butler95.com/), so it is conceivable that the freeway could be extended beyond nearby US 1 and toward the St. Johns.  The question would be how to route it across the river from there.  I guess I-10 could always be multiplexed with I-95 through the downtown/southside areas....

FLRoads

Thanks for the site link.  I didn't know that they are actually going to do a PD&E study for improvements.  The Interstate 95/Florida 202 does need upgrading.  And in my scenario, I would have Interstate 10 multiplex with Interstate 95 across the St. Johns.  Who knows, maybe once they get the six-laning done and the interchange upgraded they will file for a interstate designation, whether it be for Interstate 10 or perhaps for an Interstate 995...that would be cool as well.     

FLRoads

The first portion of the Toll Florida 414 is set to open this Saturday in the afternoon, after having morning festivities including a 5k run and some family type entertainment.  The initial opening is set for Sunpass and Epass only, but work will continue to accommodate cash customers on the Coral Hills Main Toll Plaza and ramp plazas. Also note that the Keene Road ramps will not be accessible initially. Click here for a detailed map of the partial opening.

DAL764

They are already opening a part of F414? Wow, news like these always make me envious at just how fast freeways can get build in the US, when a project of similar dimensions takes at least 2-3 times as many years in Germany  :rolleyes:.

mightyace

Quote from: DAL764 on February 10, 2009, 10:18:05 AM
They are already opening a part of F414? Wow, news like these always make me envious at just how fast freeways can get build in the US, when a project of similar dimensions takes at least 2-3 times as many years in Germany  :rolleyes:.

I don't think that we build them as sturdy as you do.  I was watching a History Channel show about the autobahns in Germany and I think they said that the pavement depth is around twice what it is here on a U.S. freeway.

Therefore, we need to repair/rebuild them more often.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.