News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

It's 2014 and I still can't believe that.....

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 29, 2014, 04:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfwmapper

50. Removing the left exiting/entering ramps at the I-35E/I-635 interchange wasn't part of the LBJ Express project

ctsignguy

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Alex

52. That states haven't yet eliminated all remaining rest areas or converted them over to truck only areas...

dgolub

53. There's still temporary orange signage for exit 14 on the FDR Drive southbound, and the exit itself is still a mess.  It's been like that for four years now, and they haven't been doing any construction in that time.

dgolub

Quote from: doofy103 on September 29, 2014, 04:13:57 PM
1) I-95 in the Bronx is still only 6-lanes east of the Major Deegan (I-87).

Given how dense and urbanized the area is, I'm not convinced that that one is ever going to change.  It would probably alleviate a lot of the traffic through there, though.

NE2

Quote from: dgolub on September 30, 2014, 08:49:57 AM

Given how dense and urbanized the area is, I'm not convinced that that one is ever going to change.  It would probably alleviate a lot of the traffic through there, though.

Example 1 of why using traffic as a synonym for traffic jams is problematic.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

english si

Quote from: NE2 on September 29, 2014, 08:01:15 PMIn before we don't have flying cars.
They'll come next year and they'll run on trash. I saw a documentary.

54. The M25 between the M4 and M40 is still only 8-lanes, when it had too much traffic for that 25 years ago, with no plans (even as part of Heathrow expansion) to widen it and relieve the perma-jam! (and unlike the Bronx, isn't running through a dense urban area)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Alex on September 30, 2014, 08:12:49 AM
52. That states haven't yet eliminated all remaining rest areas or converted them over to truck only areas...

They're cash cows.  Why eliminate them?

1995hoo

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 30, 2014, 09:59:38 AM

Quote from: Alex on September 30, 2014, 08:12:49 AM

They're cash cows.  Why eliminate them?

Virginia's former governor, Tim Kaine, ordered a bunch of them (but not all of them) closed to save money, but it was mainly political grandstanding because the amount saved was minuscule in the context of the whole budget. His successor, Bob McDonnell, had them re-opened. The Kaine Administration told people to stop at McDonald's if they needed to use the toilet.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: mgk920 on September 29, 2014, 08:22:05 PM
18 - . . . the USA is still stuck 'popularly' using a mish-mash of measures that don't relate to each other and don't progress in powers of 10 (don't go from scale to scale by moving the decimal point).

Check!
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

2Co5_14

55.  ...there still is no permanent funding mechanism for the Federal Highway Trust Fund (that would pay for a lot of the unfinished items listed above.)

vdeane

56. That A-25 and A-30 in Quebec have transponders that aren't even inter-operable with each other, let alone anything else.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

riiga

57. The US still relies on writing out everything instead of using symbols and pictograms.

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 30, 2014, 10:07:12 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on September 29, 2014, 08:22:05 PM
18 - . . . the USA is still stuck 'popularly' using a mish-mash of measures that don't relate to each other and don't progress in powers of 10 (don't go from scale to scale by moving the decimal point).

Check!
Another check!

formulanone

Quote from: OracleUsr on September 30, 2014, 12:14:55 AM
47.  It's cheaper to fly out of RDU than PTI
49.  That signs in Greensboro now say PTI-GSO airport.

Oddly, I find that flying into GSO is rather cheap (and quite hassle-free), presumably to woo passengers from going to Charlotte. It did bug me that the signs used to solely have "PTI", which is an acronym, but not the airport code.

56. That there's still a lot of dirt and gravel roads left to be improved. I used to think every gravel road that wasn't a driveway would get paved someday.

cl94

Quote from: formulanone on September 30, 2014, 12:54:03 PM
Quote from: OracleUsr on September 30, 2014, 12:14:55 AM
47.  It's cheaper to fly out of RDU than PTI
49.  That signs in Greensboro now say PTI-GSO airport.

Oddly, I find that flying into GSO is rather cheap (and quite hassle-free), presumably to woo passengers from going to Charlotte. It did bug me that the signs used to solely have "PTI", which is an acronym, but not the airport code.

56. That there's still a lot of dirt and gravel roads left to be improved. I used to think every gravel road that wasn't a driveway would get paved someday.

56.5) Several states have unpaved state routes (and not just the Moki Dugway)
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jeffandnicole

7,392:  That speed limits have risen on highways to 80 & 85 mph.  Yet, speed limits on local roads continue to go lower, and towns and planners find more ways to slow traffic down even further.

Brandon

Quote from: riiga on September 30, 2014, 12:50:41 PM
57. The US still relies on writing out everything instead of using symbols and pictograms.

Not exactly true, and the European countries use their fair share of text as well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SidS1045

Quote from: dgolub on September 30, 2014, 08:49:57 AM

The biggest problems one would have in widening the Cross Bronx are:

--The fact that much of the road runs in an open cut with concrete walls and literally no extra room on either side.
--Blasting out the extra room for two more lanes would mean blasting through some of the hardest rock known in the US, Fordham gneiss.  It was a slow-go in the 1960's to blast out the initial six-lane ROW and would be no less problematical today.
--Atop the open cut on both sides are service roads connecting to local streets.
--Dozens of buildings immediately adjacent to the service roads would have to be condemned and torn down.  Given what buildings are worth today, the condemnation costs alone would be prohibitive.
--There are multiple overpasses carrying the Bronx's major local streets, and all those overpasses would need to be reconstructed.  Those streets cannot be closed for any length of time without major disruptions.  Atop the overpass at Jerome Avenue is the Woodlawn branch of the #4 subway line, which also must be held in place and kept operating during any construction.  It was no less than a miracle that Robert Moses managed to do so in the 1960's.
--And, of course, you must have the political will to even imagine such a project, never mind financing it and seeing it through.

If you never read another book about road construction, you should read the chapter "One Mile" in Robert Caro's The Power Broker.  What it takes to hack out the ROW for a major highway through a densely populated city is presented in graphic detail...both the construction details and the human cost.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

kkt

Cars still burn gasoline, and gasoline is still relatively cheap.

jakeroot

Quote from: english si on September 30, 2014, 09:31:13 AM
54. The M25 between the M4 and M40 is still only 8-lanes, when it had too much traffic for that 25 years ago, with no plans (even as part of Heathrow expansion) to widen it and relieve the perma-jam! (and unlike the Bronx, isn't running through a dense urban area)

Uhh, what about the M23 north of the M25? Certainly that should have been cleaned up long ago (though the Coulsdon Bypass was a step in the right direction).

When I first went to England, this was the first image I took (M23 north of J8):

kj3400

Quote from: jake on September 30, 2014, 05:16:46 PM

Uhh, what about the M23 north of the M25? Certainly that should have been cleaned up long ago.

When I first went to England, this was the first image I took (M23 north of J8):

*pic of cars in traffic*

Apparently the issue with the M23 is that there's no way to widen the A23, the road it empties out on, and even if they simply rerouted it around part of it, it would still end on that substandard A23, merely moving the problem a mile or so north.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

jakeroot

Quote from: kj3400 on September 30, 2014, 05:20:43 PM
Quote from: jake on September 30, 2014, 05:16:46 PM

Uhh, what about the M23 north of the M25? Certainly that should have been cleaned up long ago.

*pic of cars in traffic*

Apparently the issue with the M23 is that there's no way to widen the A23, the road it empties out on, and even if they simply rerouted it around part of it, it would still end on that substandard A23, merely moving the problem a mile or so north.

I could come up with a good routing. First thing would be to re-utilize the old bypass (rebuild it, obviously) and then route it east of the Hooley city center. North of that, it would squeeze over Hollymeoak Road and then plug into the Coulsdon Bypass.

Let's not forget that TFL is no stranger to massive infrastructure projects...this wouldn't be that crazy. From what I could tell on my last visit, traffic was pretty well dissipated by the time we hit the Croydon Costco. IF we could sort of fix it up to that point, I think things would at least moderately improve.

froggie

Quote55.  ...there still is no permanent funding mechanism for the Federal Highway Trust Fund (that would pay for a lot of the unfinished items listed above.)

Curious why you don't consider the Federal gas tax a "permanent" funding mechanism (even though it's currently inadequate)...

lepidopteran

58: There's no direct freeway between Columbus, OH and Toledo (and by extension, Detroit and SE Michigan)

59: Despite incredible technology leaps in areas like computers, the mainstay of our transportation system remains the good old-fashioned internal-combustion engine.

Pete from Boston

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.