AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: Today at 12:04:37 AM 
Started by jecht - Last post by amroad17
Those mileages have been there since the 1980's.  Besides, Ohio DOT cannot really figure out how far Erie, PA is either.  At one time (1996), Erie was listed at 122 in Weymouth.  Four years later, Erie is now 118 miles away--even though at mm 11, ten miles away, Erie is listed at 114 miles away (the same one that lists I-90 at 32 when it should be 29). Then, at mm 20, Erie is listed at 109 miles away.  :no:

on: May 23, 2017, 11:54:21 PM 
Started by BigMattFromTexas - Last post by ET21
I'm hoping for Nashville/Ottawa. But then Ottawa wins, because screw Nashville  :spin:

on: May 23, 2017, 11:42:44 PM 
Started by webny99 - Last post by webny99
Inspired by my earlier "theories" thread:
www.16personalities.com

I took it and found it very interesting... but won't reveal my results because that might be stereotyping   :spin:

on: May 23, 2017, 11:39:52 PM 
Started by webny99 - Last post by amroad17
Because North Carolina!

on: May 23, 2017, 11:24:57 PM 
Started by Quillz - Last post by jbrad1974
Oh, I finally found the specs I was looking for... the actual dimensions, anyway:

Old sign specs in general are fun to look at. If you can't see it, the old bear shields were 15'' by 16'' (although I don't seem to have the actual G27/G28R sheet with more dimensions). That translates to roughly 23.5'' by 25'', the height of the modern shields.

Where did you find these?  I've been looking everywhere for sign specs from the 1940's & 1950's.  I found the Federal specs, but was looking for California specific specs.  Your help is much appreciated!

--James Bradley

on: May 23, 2017, 11:20:12 PM 
Started by bing101 - Last post by BakoCondors
On 5/7 I drove around the portion of Bakersfield where the new 58 will be built. It's really happening, folks. They've completely demolished and cleared all the buildings between the existing 58 stub at 99, and California Ave, except for maybe a half dozen houses near the stub that already look unoccupied. The ground is covered with what looks sort of like bark mulch, to keep the dust down, but on closer inspection, it looks like they ground up some of the lumber the houses were made out of. Kind of creepy, if you think about it. They haven't yet torn down any of the businesses in the short gap between California Ave and the Westside Pkwy.

The most recent Google Earth imagery from last October just shows a few cleared lots.

Next up, I guess they'll be rerouting some of the streets and putting in cul-de-sacs. Or is it culs-de-sac?

This was published in the Bakersfield Californian on May 15th. The caption read:

The city released an aerial picture of the homes and commercial buildings that have been cleared to build the Centennial Corridor, which will link Highway 58 to the Westside Parkway.
The most recent Thomas Roads Improvement Program project update said the corridor design is 65 percent complete and all except one residence and two commercial buildings have been acquired.

on: May 23, 2017, 10:59:38 PM 
Started by Beltway - Last post by Beltway
I would tend to agree with most of your assessments, although I’m inclined to nudge some ratings slightly downward. For example, I’d agree that the I-83 interchange is quite squarely in the “Fair” column (direct connection—but tight ramp geometry and very short “decision distances” on either end of the toll plaza). For similar reasons, I’d probably nudge several examples you rated “Good” down to “Fair+” if there was such an option. I think US 1, for example, is slightly less than “Good”.

I also agree that Mid County is the only one that would earn a “Good+” or “Excellent” rating, although one shortcoming is the lack of direct connection from the south to the west (and a slightly complicated connection for the reverse). Sometimes the circuitous I-476 North -> I-276 West is faster than taking I-76 through the seemingly perpetual congestion around King of Prussia.

I'm sure that the designers 30 years ago didn't plan on using I-476 north to bypass King of Prussia to get to the Turnpike west of Valley Forge.  That thought that Ridge Pike is the only I-476 interchange that would be capturing traffic that might want to take I-476 to access I-276 to the west.  Any local traffic in the I-476/Ridge Pike area can use local roads to get to the local access Turnpike interchange at Plymouth Meeting.

And because of this hopeless congestion, I’d probably downgrade the connections to US 202 and US 422 as “Fair-” at best.

The recent upgrades on US-202 have helped, but indeed is a congested area.

on: May 23, 2017, 10:53:36 PM 
Started by Mergingtraffic - Last post by kurumi
GSV link to the CT 72 sign KEVIN_224 mentioned: https://goo.gl/maps/oVwUqU4V3qu

Put a "TO" tab above the 72 marker and the sign is correct again.

on: May 23, 2017, 10:23:44 PM 
Started by Scott5114 - Last post by Jim
Imperial -> Lynchburg (VA).  Taken in Danville.  January 2, 2010.

on: May 23, 2017, 10:23:08 PM 
Started by jbnv - Last post by 7/8
I found this photo on my phone from the summer of 2014. This was taken on hwy 21 south of Forest, ON. I was taking a photo of the cool storm, but there also happens to be a highway 21 shield on the right :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.