News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PColumbus73

AFAIK, Charlotte is not mentioned at ALL on I-95 in Virginia and the Carolinas. Not even at the I-85 interchange in Petersburg, VA. Going northbound on I-95 through South Carolina it kind-of makes sense because at I-26, Columbia takes precedence, and no driver going north to Charlotte would take I-20.

I think Charlotte deserves at least a supplemental sign mention at I/US 74.

However, Charlotte is mentioned at far north at Beckley, WV on I-77.

sparker

Quote from: lordsutch on March 18, 2017, 05:02:04 PM
Taking US 74 would be well out of the way for southbound I-95 traffic coming from anywhere south of Fayetteville, though. Taking US 64, US 264, US 70, or US 401 would all be shorter, quicker options. There's really nowhere of significance on I-95 except Lumberton where taking I-95 directly to US 74 on a trip to Charlotte would make sense.

Yeah, US 74's approach to Charlotte from I-95 does involve a little bit of "backtracking" vis-à-vis a bit of WNW or NW trajectory.  However, all the other options, particularly US 64 and/or 264 involve traversing other urban areas (Raleigh and the rest of the "triangle"); I can't see NCDOT putting Charlotte on I-95 approach signage for either one of those intersecting routes.  Perhaps if US 64 was improved along its full length (not just the Asheboro bypass) supplemental/secondary signage could be placed at the US 64 interchange -- but sticking to limited-access or even divided highways puts one in the midst of several interim urban regions -- hardly direct access to Charlotte.  US 74 (I-74) is the shortest high-capacity route from the I-95 alignment to Charlotte -- and it doesn't pass through any interim major urban areas (and will be even more efficient when the Monroe toll bypass is opened); IMO, supplemental Charlotte reference at the 74/95 interchange is warranted. 

LM117

Quote from: NJRoadfan on March 18, 2017, 06:04:39 PM
Speaking of US-64 and control cities, NC seemed to view Raleigh as a destination as an afterthought. Completely inexcusable given that US-64 directly serves it and its the state capital.

https://goo.gl/maps/5wQJWQwxsRU2
https://goo.gl/maps/93GpW7G2ki42
https://goo.gl/maps/SV2XvWX8AwN2

Once you get off the exit, its finally signed as it should be:
https://goo.gl/maps/SDWy6GrAMdQ2

Northbound signing is worse, but irreverent given that traffic should have taken I-40 or US-264 already.

I agree. Raleigh should be the only control city for US-64 West at that interchange.

Another thing I never understood is Kenly being used as a control city on the BGS for I-795 South where it splits from US-264 in Wilson. Sure, the US-301 exit is right around the corner from there, but anybody going to Kenly would've stayed on I-95 South. Wilmington should replace Kenly on the BGS, since I-795's purpose is to act as a shortcut to Wilmington (via US-117 & I-40) from Wilson & points north and vice-versa.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

OracleUsr

Or at least use Goldsboro.  At least they have Seymour Johnson AFB.

As for the Exit 138, those BGS' are much older.  Yes, they still should have Raleigh on the sign as not so much an afterthought (and why Tarboro anyway????  Isn't Williamston or Manteo more a major point) but the signs showing Raleigh are far newer (the raised caps alone are evidence; NC didn't start using that until 2009)
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

LM117

Quote from: OracleUsr on March 19, 2017, 07:34:46 AM

Goldsboro is already on the BGS. Kenly is just one of the two control cities.

Mapmikey

Quote from: OracleUsr on March 19, 2017, 07:34:46 AM

As for the Exit 138, those BGS' are much older.  Yes, they still should have Raleigh on the sign as not so much an afterthought (and why Tarboro anyway????  Isn't Williamston or Manteo more a major point) but the signs showing Raleigh are far newer (the raised caps alone are evidence; NC didn't start using that until 2009)

Tarboro's population is twice Williamston's and Manteo is 150 miles away with a population of 1500.  There is supplemental signage for Cape Hatteras Seashore and IIRC the NC Aquarium in Manteo.

LM117

Update on the future extension of NC-43 in New Bern.

http://wnct.com/2017/03/21/craven-co-road-project-about-to-head-in-the-right-direction/

QuoteA long-awaited road project in Craven County is closer to becoming a reality.

Where the current-day NC 43 connector ends at the intersection of US 70 and 17, it partially continues for about a mile south where it dead ends.

However, a project is in the works to extend the NC 43 connector another two and a half miles all the way to US 17 Business.

"It connects 70 into 17 Business,"  said Jeff Cabaniss, NCDOT engineer.  "We had built part of it from 70 over to 43 several years ago. This is the extension that would bring it all the way over to parallel Trent Creek Road."

The last leg was originally scheduled for 2020, but Cabaniss said that could be moved up by two years.

"We've had the preliminary plans and the environmental documents since 2005, so it's one that we can move up and get on very quickly,"  Cabaniss said. "It's scheduled right now for right-of-way in 2018. So it'll be one of the first projects that we start on."

But much has changed since the plans were drawn up more than a decade ago, and it's something the DOT may have to contend with as the project moves forward.

"That's almost completely filled out now,"  said Cabaniss while pointing to an older map of the project. "And there's another subdivision right here if you go on the aerial to see it."

Once that's worked out and construction gets underway, the completed project could provide a big boost to that part of Craven County. Besides cutting off time on commutes, it's in an area ripe for industrial development.

"It's supposed to help with access management and alleviate some traffic,"  said Cabaniss. "And also open up the area for some development in the future."

Currently, these plans are preliminary. A final decision on whether the project will get underway next year will come from the state Board of Transportation. It's expected to vote on the matter in June.

froggie

^ Is this the road leading down from Exit 411?

LM117

orulz

NCDOT has posted some alternatives for the freeway conversion of US 70 near Brier Creek. There are two alternatives.

Both have a SPUI at Brier Creek Parkway, which I believe has always been the plan there since day one.

Alternative 2 is clearly what they intend to build. The existing TW Alexander gets just a grade separation at US 70, while the connection between US 70 and TW Alexander is achieved by building the segment of the Aviation Parkway Extension between US 70 and TW Alexander.

Alternative 1 must be some sort of strawman plan that they have no intention whatsoever of actually building. Flyovers and braided ramps abound, to demonstrate what must be done in order to maintain a direct interchange between US70 and TW Alexander.

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/US70BrierCreek/

froggie

That's a REALLY TIGHT weave on eastbound 70 between Briar Creek and the exit ramp to 540.  Barely 1000ft.

wdcrft63

Google Maps now showing construction progress on I-140 and the Cape Fear River Bridge.

https://goo.gl/maps/dNi7u5Tnx652

PColumbus73

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 31, 2017, 06:31:36 PM
Google Maps now showing construction progress on I-140 and the Cape Fear River Bridge.

Will the new segment of NC/I 140 be opening soon?

Mapmikey

Quote from: PColumbus73 on March 31, 2017, 08:00:24 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 31, 2017, 06:31:36 PM

Will the new segment of NC/I 140 be opening soon?

Per NCDOT website the completion date is summer 2018

Fixed quote. - rmf67

LM117

Will the remainder of the US-17 freeway east of I-40 become part of I-140 once the last section opens?

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on April 01, 2017, 04:32:48 PM
Will the remainder of the US-17 freeway east of I-40 become part of I-140 once the last section opens?
Not sure. I think that is the intention, but I'm not sure the designation is approved east of I-40.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: wdcrft63 on April 01, 2017, 07:29:34 PM
Quote from: LM117 on April 01, 2017, 04:32:48 PM
Not sure. I think that is the intention, but I'm not sure the designation is approved east of I-40.

As of right now, NC 140 is designated the entire route and I-140 is only between US 421 and I-40.  US 17 will be rerouted back through Wilmington on a modified routing, which has already been approved by AASHTO.  I am sure when they are close to opening the last section that they will make a request to AASHTO to extend I-140.

LM117

A new interchange has opened on NC-540.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=13674

QuoteRALEIGH — Drivers on the Veridea Parkway in Holly Springs now have a direct link to the Triangle Expressway. The new Veridea Parkway interchange, located between U.S. 1 and N.C. 55 Bypass, opened to traffic this morning at 11. It is the first new interchange for the expressway since its final phase opened in 2013.

"The N.C. Turnpike Authority sees the new interchange as an advantage for residents in the area,"  said Executive Director Beau Memory.  "This addition will improve mobility for current traffic and larger volumes of traffic anticipated in the future, as a result of substantial growth and development in the area."

Previously, drivers wanting to get on the Triangle Expressway from Veridea Parkway, formerly Old Holly Springs-Apex Road, had to drive about five miles out of their way to get onto the expressway. The new interchange provides a direct north-south connection.

"We are very excited that the new Holly Springs/Apex I-540 Interchange will offer our citizens and commuters a safer and faster option for their travels,"  said Holly Springs Mayor Dick Sears.

A new interchange at Morrisville Parkway in western Cary is also being designed, with construction scheduled to begin in 2018.

Drivers who use a Quick Pass transponder on the Triangle Expressway have the largest coverage area of toll program interoperability in the nation. The NC Quick Pass is interoperable with toll roads and bridges that accept Florida's Sun Pass and Georgia's Peach Pass. The NC Quick Pass E-ZPass transponder provides further interoperability with E-ZPass facilities in 15 states throughout the east, northeast and midwest sections of the country.

For NC Quick Pass information, including payment and purchase options, call 1-877-7MY-PASS (1-877-769-7277) or visit the NC Quick Pass website.

Strider

Headed down the Eastern Urban Loop (I-785/Future I-840) in Greensboro, I noticed that there are some signage changes along the route. The sign that used to say "I-40/I-85/Business 85" is now replaced with a signage that says "I-40/I-85 NORTH, GREENSBORO, DURHAM, RALEIGH.". The signs omitted I-85 BUSINESS. Also, there is also an "END I-785" shield posted along the road. I hope I will take some pictures tomorrow and figure how to post them here.

bob7374

Quote from: Strider on April 14, 2017, 06:53:38 PM
Headed down the Eastern Urban Loop (I-785/Future I-840) in Greensboro, I noticed that there are some signage changes along the route. The sign that used to say "I-40/I-85/Business 85" is now replaced with a signage that says "I-40/I-85 NORTH, GREENSBORO, DURHAM, RALEIGH.". The signs omitted I-85 BUSINESS. Also, there is also an "END I-785" shield posted along the road. I hope I will take some pictures tomorrow and figure how to post them here.
Those are new, within the last 2 weeks, the old signs were still up (and no I-785 signs) when I traveled through there on March 30. It appears NCDOT and I have a coordination problem.

slorydn1

With all of our focus on our new Future Interstates I have dropped the ball and lost track of the progress of the US-17 Jones County Bypass.

Construction has begun on the interchange between US-17 Business and US-17 at the Jones/Craven County line. It appears that the interchange will be centered on the SW to S curve of the New Bern Bypass judging by the grading work being done in the area.

The highway has been reduced to one lane in both directions from just North of the existing stoplight to about 0.5 miles east of the curve, and the guardrails have been removed  inside the curve itself. The 50 mph speed limit has been extended to about a mile Northeast of the bridge over Tuscarora-Rhems Rd.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

The Ghostbuster

Where and how many interchanges will this project have? What will be the bypass's northern terminus?

wdcrft63

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 01, 2017, 04:27:59 PM
Where and how many interchanges will this project have? What will be the bypass's northern terminus?
This article has some information about the project:
http://www.newbernsj.com/article/20150627/news/150629072

slorydn1

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 01, 2017, 04:27:59 PM

Here is the project overview map from NCDOT:

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/Project%20Breakdown%20Maps/R2514.pdf

Only NCDOT could completely flip a map the wrong way, but at least you can get the gist of what the route will look like.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

cpzilliacus

Wall Street Journal: As complaints pile up–even from Nascar stars–N.C. rethinks a public-private road project - Accidents are up, traffic worse as commuters endure a 26-mile work zone; a tweet blast from Danica Patrick

QuoteWhen North Carolina brought in a private operator to add toll lanes to a 26-mile stretch of highway north of Charlotte, its goal was to reduce congestion and build a road the state couldn't otherwise afford.

QuoteThe hope was that the state's first public-private partnership for roads would be a model of efficiency and the first of many such projects. But the expansion of Interstate 77 has hit speed bumps, with travel times lengthening and accidents increasing. Now the state is considering paying up to $300 million to get out of the deal and retake control of the roadway.

QuoteCommuters and political observers are saying the state ceded too much control to Cintra, the unit of Spanish infrastructure firm Ferrovial SA that signed the $650 million contract in 2014. They would have liked work to be done a mile or two at a time rather than nearly all at once, creating a 26-mile work zone. They also say the state highway department would have responded better to complaints, like those on Easter weekend, when drivers said they were dodging roadway debris.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.