News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Passed a "PIPELINE CONSTRUCTION AHEAD" work zone sign today.  Wish I had taken a picture.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cjk374

Quote from: Rothman on May 20, 2017, 11:58:27 PM
Passed a "PIPELINE CONSTRUCTION AHEAD" work zone sign today.  Wish I had taken a picture.

Been seeing tons of those around here. I'll get you one in a day or so.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

thefraze_1020

Quote from: jakeroot on May 18, 2017, 08:09:09 PM
WashDOT recently replaced some signage along the southbound I-5 C/D lanes south of Seattle (near the I-90 interchange). One of the replaced signs contained one of the few instances of the word "OK" being used on a BGS. Two other examples of this practice exist (Hwy 18 approaching I-5 (here) (itself a relatively new sign), and I-5 SB approaching the 101 (here)).

Interestingly, the new signage maintains the use of the word "OK". The new sign is below, and a link to the old sign is here.

The new sign does have a couple of issues. First, the down arrows aren't right. The stems are too narrow. The bigger issue, though, is the use of "TO" in the label. This sign is pointing drivers towards the on-ramp to I-90. It's not really a "TO" situation. It's more of a "IS" situation.

Note that "Spokane" was dropped as a control city.

I find myself asking this a lot in Washington, but what was wrong with the old signs? Was WSDOT bored, or did they have some budget money that would go bye-bye if not used?
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

D-Dey65

Try to zoom in on the street name sign on that frontage road along US 17 northeast of I-95 near Brunswick:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ashton_%26_Flash_Food_Drives_near_Brunswick,_GA-1.jpg

Am I right in assuming the "PE" marking on the sign means "Private Enterprise," or am I just wasting my time asking about this?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 22, 2017, 12:25:03 AM
Am I right in assuming the "PE" marking on the sign means "Private Enterprise," or am I just wasting my time asking about this?

I'd assume it means "private entrance."

7/8

Here are some from my drive today:

This highway 7/8 sign on New Dundee Road in North Dumfries, ON:

This strange "TO 401" sign on Cedar Creek Road in North Dumfries, ON:

Yellow "South" tab in Simcoe, ON:

The "ENDS" is written on the shield for Highway 24 in Simcoe, ON:

This Kitchener-Wilmot Hydro sign on Fairway Crescent in Kitchener, ON:

7/8

One more I forgot to post was this photo of the large street signs along Bell Mill Side Road in Tillsonburg, ON. The blue street signs are mounted through slits in the two wooden posts. They're certainly hard to miss :)

KEVIN_224

I saw this "beauty" in Pawtucket, RI on Sunday, May 28, 2017. It's a block or so away from McCoy Stadium.

PHLBOS

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 30, 2017, 11:29:29 AM
I saw this "beauty" in Pawtucket, RI on Sunday, May 28, 2017. It's a block or so away from McCoy Stadium.

Early 80s vintage w/an experimental font.  MA had these at nearly every road that interchanged w/the I-95 portion of 128 back then.  Some might still be around.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

intelati49

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 30, 2017, 12:20:12 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 30, 2017, 11:29:29 AM

Early 80s vintage w/an experimental font.  MA had these at nearly every road that interchanged w/the I-95 portion of 128 back then.  Some might still be around.

I'm kind of a fan of it.

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

MNHighwayMan

Not sure why I didn't post this sooner, but that's a very interesting way to sign the crossing of a detour. On IA-110 NB north of Schaller, as part of the four-laning of US-20. Picture is from March 28th.

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

D-Dey65

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 20, 2017, 08:12:15 PM
Has anyone else seen the yellow Speed Limit 40 sign on Sumter County Road 48 in Bushnell, Florida east of I-75 and west of the furthest east entrance to Wal-Mart. If I can't get a picture of it tonight (due to an approaching thunderstorm), I'll try to post my own pic of it on Wikimedia Commons and show the link to you people in another post either tomorrow or after the weekend.

Or, you could just look for it on the most recent Google Street View.
UPDATE: Never mind. I'll add the Google Street View link:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.6686189,-82.1386729,3a,37.5y,118.98h,90.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sc2kepJ4ImPA0cAj4jX7fTw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I'll just post the picture I have of it later on.

MNHighwayMan

Big John

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 02, 2017, 07:21:28 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 20, 2017, 08:12:15 PM
Has anyone else seen the yellow Speed Limit 40 sign on Sumter County Road 48 in Bushnell, Florida east of I-75 and west of the furthest east entrance to Wal-Mart. If I can't get a picture of it tonight (due to an approaching thunderstorm), I'll try to post my own pic of it on Wikimedia Commons and show the link to you people in another post either tomorrow or after the weekend.

Or, you could just look for it on the most recent Google Street View.
UPDATE: Never mind. I'll add the Google Street View link:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.6686189,-82.1386729,3a,37.5y,118.98h,90.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sc2kepJ4ImPA0cAj4jX7fTw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I'll just post the picture I have of it later on.

And the sign ahead of it saying begin right turn lane where there is no such dedicated lane.

MNHighwayMan

Not sure I've ever seen an advisory plaque mounted below a route marker assembly before. This is the junction of MN-99 and 112 immediately west of Le Center.

7/8

A few taken on Wednesday:

This sign is somewhere on Speedvale Road in Guelph, ON. The "when flashing stop ahead" is fairly standard, but usually it's just the yellow light, with no painted green or red lights on the sign.

An older-looking "no left" blank-out sign on the same road.

The sign text is pretty standard, but in my area, it's always a white rectangle instead. This is on CR 124 east of Guelph.

thenetwork

Quote from: 7/8 on June 09, 2017, 09:09:57 AM

The sign text is pretty standard, but in my area, it's always a white rectangle instead. This is on CR 124 east of Guelph.

I like how the text remains "self-balanced" while the sign itself is askew.  (yes i KNOW that cant happen....)

US 89

This sign is somewhere on Speedvale Road in Guelph, ON. The "when flashing stop ahead" is fairly standard, but usually it's just the yellow light, with no painted green or red lights on the sign.

That might be confusing in this scenario: the actual light at the intersection is red, but the sign's yellow light is flashing, making drivers think that the actual light is yellow.

7/8

Quote from: roadguy2 on June 09, 2017, 04:59:46 PM

image snipped

That might be confusing in this scenario: the actual light at the intersection is red, but the sign's yellow light is flashing, making drivers think that the actual light is yellow.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. They probably should have stuck with the yellow lights on the side (like this example in Waterloo). I still think it's a cool sign though.

JJBers

Quote from: 7/8 on June 11, 2017, 12:27:37 AM
Quote from: roadguy2 on June 09, 2017, 04:59:46 PM

image snipped

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. They probably should have stuck with the yellow lights on the side (like this example in Waterloo). I still think it's a cool sign though.
Well, that would be confusing driving by fast
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

D-Dey65

My own shot of the yellow speed limit sign in Bushnell:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Yellow_Speed_Limit_Sign_on_Sumter_CR_48;_Bushnell,_FL.jpg

Anytime I post images of signs like this, I always feel like I'm setting them up to be torn down. Then again, that's true for all the unusual and non-standard signs that are posted here.

intelati49

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 11, 2017, 03:58:10 PM
My own shot of the yellow speed limit sign in Bushnell:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Yellow_Speed_Limit_Sign_on_Sumter_CR_48;_Bushnell,_FL.jpg

Anytime I post images of signs like this, I always feel like I'm setting them up to be torn down. Then again, that's true for all the unusual and non-standard signs that are posted here.

Okay, that's fugly.... :-o

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.