News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Some want to name a Kentucky bridge after the Colonel who started KFC

Started by roadman65, April 10, 2014, 09:47:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

I hope they don't toll it and give the toll money to KFC.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Brandon

That's a clucker.  It's a Finger Lickin' Good Bridge.  Just hope the KYTC doesn't lay an egg with this one.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Henry

I could definitely see that happening! After all, there are all those freeways up in MI that are named after the American auto industry, so I'm not surprised that they want to name a bridge in KY after the maker of the state's trademark food.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

getemngo

In related news, KFC is no longer the #1 chicken restaurant in sales in the United States. It's now Chick-Fil-A. Doesn't help that KFC has closed almost 20% of its stores in the last 10 years.

Though I guess the decline in the American auto industry hasn't forced Detroit or Flint to rename any of its freeways...
~ Sam from Michigan

Pete from Boston

It's safe to say that bridge will only be expanded continually, which won't make much difference as its artery grows more and more clogged until it all collapses prematurely due to its own excessive weight. 

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

vdeane

The toll booths at each end will be fully functional KFC restaurants.  All patrons will be required to consume a double down sandwich before crossing the bridge.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

formulanone

There's a colonel of truth to this story, but I think the tolling agency is getting all the gravy.

texaskdog

Quote from: vdeane on April 11, 2014, 09:21:46 AM
The toll booths at each end will be fully functional KFC restaurants.  All patrons will be required to consume a double down sandwich before crossing the bridge.

Oh geez thanks for bringing up that supressed memory

kurumi

The Chick-fil-a bridge would be closed on Sundays

or if there are two dudes in the car
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

TheKnightoftheInterstate

Quote from: kurumi on April 12, 2014, 12:08:28 PM

That is good for the environment! Less emissions!
I-99= From Cumberland to Corning if life was fair

I-95 disappearance and reappearance in NJ is the greatest trick since Houdini

Irony: When a road geek doesn't know how to drive

Let's Go Bucs!

These boots had to see California
and an Arizona morning where God paints the sky
-Eric Church

Henry

Quote from: US71 on April 11, 2014, 12:18:13 AM
Here's the Toll Buckets ;)

Quote from: formulanone on April 11, 2014, 09:57:49 AM
There's a colonel of truth to this story, but I think the tolling agency is getting all the gravy.

Quote from: TheKnightoftheInterstate on April 12, 2014, 01:10:09 PM
Quote from: kurumi on April 12, 2014, 12:08:28 PM

That is good for the environment! Less emissions!
I couldn't help but :rofl: at all those crazy suggestions! My favorite would be the toll collection baskets made to look like the KFC bucket.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Brandon

Of course, when crossing the bridge, one must go at Ludicrous Speed.

What's the matter, Colonel Sanders, chicken?

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

tidecat

Quote from: getemngo on April 10, 2014, 05:00:57 PM
In related news, KFC is no longer the #1 chicken restaurant in sales in the United States. It's now Chick-Fil-A. Doesn't help that KFC has closed almost 20% of its stores in the last 10 years.

Though I guess the decline in the American auto industry hasn't forced Detroit or Flint to rename any of its freeways...

Some of the recent closures in the Louisville area include 1 of the 2 Shelbyville stores (located about a mile from Claudia Sanders Dinner House) and one on Shelbyville  Road in Middletown.  Those stores don't have a nearby Chick-Fil-A competing against them.  So much for supporting the home team . . .
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

triplemultiplex

Quote from: texaskdog on April 11, 2014, 12:59:17 PM

Oh geez thanks for bringing up that suppressed memory

They're back, you know...

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

roadman65

You guys stumbled on to something here.  If naming rights to sports stadiums and arenas can happen, one day we may see bridges get multi billion dollar corporations paying into road agencies to have their name on a bridge.

I can see it now, the KFC bridge!  The Chick Fil A Crossing (hey they got a sports bowl named for them).
How about the George Washington Bridge being renamed the McDonald's Bridge or the Lincoln Tunnel being called the Burger King Tunnel.

Funny as it may sound, it may become reality someday with the way this world operates.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

Don't give NYC ideas.  They already have a bridges named after politicians and the Koch brothers.

Thing 342

Quote from: roadman65 on May 17, 2014, 09:40:39 AM
The Chick Fil A Crossing (hey they got a sports bowl named for them).

I believe they changed it back to the Peach Bowl this year with the start of the playoff.

Pete from Boston

roadman65

Quote from: vdeane on May 17, 2014, 03:09:21 PM
Don't give NYC ideas.  They already have a bridges named after politicians and the Koch brothers.
Well it saved NJ from getting the name Brendan Byrne off of the State's arena when they gave the naming rights first to Continental Airlines (now part of United Airlines) and then to IZOD.  Byrne was not one of the best governors of New Jersey either, in fact he did not do anything near anything good for anyone in the Garden State his eight years of service.  Plus he was the one that picked his own name for the building as it happened during his second term of Governor which many of us New Jerseyans were mad about at the time.

I hear from a friend of mine who lived in New York, and still has strong ties there, that no one is happy about the Triborough Bridge being named after a Kennedy and I imagine that no one likes the Koch Bridge or the Carey Tunnel either as in folklore all of these crossings have had respected names for generations.

My personal feeling is that one of them should remember the victims of 9/11.  The Carey Tunnel (named after 9/11) should be the ideal choice to be called the 9/11 Memorial Tunnel being its Manhattan Portal lies just south of the World Trade Center Site.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

Quote from: roadman65 on May 17, 2014, 09:40:39 AM
You guys stumbled on to something here.  If naming rights to sports stadiums and arenas can happen, one day we may see bridges get multi billion dollar corporations paying into road agencies to have their name on a bridge.

I can see it now, the KFC bridge!  The Chick Fil A Crossing (hey they got a sports bowl named for them).

Wouldn't that one be a bit overpriced and closed (for some stupid reason) on Sundays?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.