News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Old Bear/Spade Specs

Started by Quillz, April 30, 2014, 08:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

Do any PDFs or scans exist of the specifications for the old California bear shields (pre-1957) or the white miner spades (1957-1964)? The latter is essentially the current green miner spades with a color change, although the old bear shields are a little different.

Quillz

Sorry... Wrong board, meant to post this in "Pacific Southwest."

agentsteel53

oldest spec I have is '56.  any previous designs I have were cobbled together by throwing a genuine article on the scanner.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

Could you post a PDF of the '56 spec, if you have one? Visually, they seem identical to the '64 spec, other than being in black and white.

Henry

I would like to see these bear spades myself!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Quillz

Quote from: Henry on May 02, 2014, 02:28:41 PM
The '56 spec was not the bear shield, it was this one:

Bear shields are older, from around 1934 or so. Those are the specs I would really like to find, but they may not exist.

Zeffy

Like these?

The AARoads' Shield Generator has them, and I'm sure with Jake's permission you could probably use them. This is the closest I could find though...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Quillz

Yes, those would be the bear shields I was referring to. I've already recreated them in Illustrator, but I was curious if any actual specs had ever been discovered, showing exact proportions, placement, etc.

Though according to the first reply, there are none.

Henry

Quote from: Quillz on May 02, 2014, 04:21:41 PM
Quote from: Henry on May 02, 2014, 02:28:41 PM
The '56 spec was not the bear shield, it was this one:

Bear shields are older, from around 1934 or so. Those are the specs I would really like to find, but they may not exist.
That looks like a green-on-white layout, which would be the complete opposite of what is there now. I may be wrong, but I think the white-on-green shields first apeared sometime around 1964.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Quillz

They did. The '56 spec (the one in the picture) is a standard black on white scheme. (There are other pics on the gallery to confirm this).

Main thing I really wanted to check on the old bear shields was the width of the borders. The '56 spec appear identical to the US route shields still used in CA today, which specify .75'' inner border and .5625'' outer border. (While 1971-era specs go with thinner borders).

Quillz

Oh, I finally found the specs I was looking for... the actual dimensions, anyway:

Old sign specs in general are fun to look at. If you can't see it, the old bear shields were 15'' by 16'' (although I don't seem to have the actual G27/G28R sheet with more dimensions). That translates to roughly 23.5'' by 25'', the height of the modern shields.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Quillz on July 16, 2016, 01:21:11 PM
Oh, I finally found the specs I was looking for... the actual dimensions, anyway:

Old sign specs in general are fun to look at. If you can't see it, the old bear shields were 15'' by 16'' (although I don't seem to have the actual G27/G28R sheet with more dimensions). That translates to roughly 23.5'' by 25'', the height of the modern shields.

Kind of neat to see US 60/70/99 on a guide sign even if it's just a spec sheet.

jbrad1974

Quote from: Quillz on July 16, 2016, 01:21:11 PM

Where did you find these?  I've been looking everywhere for sign specs from the 1940's & 1950's.  I found the Federal specs, but was looking for California specific specs.  Your help is much appreciated!

--James Bradley

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.