News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzakharin

Quote from: ixnay on July 14, 2017, 06:12:15 AM
Quote from: bzakharin on July 10, 2017, 09:41:32 AM
Quote from: ixnay on July 07, 2017, 09:29:20 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on June 25, 2017, 09:38:47 AM
That trapezoid has helped me not have to count lights when I first started using this interchange. The shape was visible from a lot further away than the text (and shield) on it. It hasn't been necessary for over 3 years, but it's still too bad that it's gone.

I hope heaven's highways are signed with squiggly arrows and trapezoidal signs and button copy text.  And populated with free flowing, non polluting traffic...

ixnay
I'm not sure what you mean here. Is that some sort of veiled threat on my life?

No.  Why would you believe that?  I miss those kind of GSP entrance signs (not to mention button copy) too.   I believe in an afterlife.

ixnay
I guess I took your post to potentially mean that you're mocking my perceived affection for the trapezoid and insinuating that soon I'll dead, so you hope I'll get my squiggly arrows and trapezoids in heaven.

roadman65

I heard from a friend of mine that a new development is going at the interchange real soon.  Is this interchange for the GP to have better access to the surrounding area or is it primarily inspired by commercial development to have access to one's business venture to supposedly stir up the economy to bring much needed or not needed growth to a specific area?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ixnay

Quote from: bzakharin on July 14, 2017, 07:36:22 AM
Quote from: ixnay on July 14, 2017, 06:12:15 AM
Quote from: bzakharin on July 10, 2017, 09:41:32 AM
Quote from: ixnay on July 07, 2017, 09:29:20 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on June 25, 2017, 09:38:47 AM
That trapezoid has helped me not have to count lights when I first started using this interchange. The shape was visible from a lot further away than the text (and shield) on it. It hasn't been necessary for over 3 years, but it's still too bad that it's gone.

I hope heaven's highways are signed with squiggly arrows and trapezoidal signs and button copy text.  And populated with free flowing, non polluting traffic...

ixnay
I'm not sure what you mean here. Is that some sort of veiled threat on my life?

No.  Why would you believe that?  I miss those kind of GSP entrance signs (not to mention button copy) too.   I believe in an afterlife.

ixnay
I guess I took your post to potentially mean that you're mocking my perceived affection for the trapezoid and insinuating that soon I'll dead, so you hope I'll get my squiggly arrows and trapezoids in heaven.

No malice was intended at all.  I like those sign images too.  They say "New Jersey".  Guess I was being tongue in cheek.  Please forgive me.

ixnay

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on July 14, 2017, 11:12:05 AM
I heard from a friend of mine that a new development is going at the interchange real soon.  Is this interchange for the GP to have better access to the surrounding area or is it primarily inspired by commercial development to have access to one's business venture to supposedly stir up the economy to bring much needed or not needed growth to a specific area?

I believe it was part of an overall redevelopment strategy for that area to make it easier to get in and out of that area, which also has a bunch of industrial development.

NJRoadfan

Yes, its a big development.

This was the original grand plan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcKCxDam-N0

This is the revised plan, note the change in the mall design: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG1m81dWfuY

Article: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/09/realestate/commercial/a-project-reclaims-an-abandoned-stretch-of-new-jersey-coast.html

Its questionable if any of this is actually going to be built given the general malaise of retail lately. Gotta love all those buzzwords. Still waiting for that American Dream mall to get finished too.

7/8

Quote from: storm2k on July 12, 2017, 01:48:53 AM
Here is the sign at the new exit 125:

I guess I'm in the minority by thinking this sign is okay. I agree the EZ-Pass logo could be a bit smaller, but at least it puts a strong emphasis on the fact that non-EZ Pass users will be in trouble if they exit here. I think this is important since people from certain areas (such as myself) aren't used to having exits where some cars aren't allowed to use certain exits. I'll also point out that I just tried using Google Maps to see if it would suggest for me to use this exit and it did. I think that makes it that much more important to put emphasis on "EZ Pass only" on the signs since Google will tell people to exit there.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 7/8 on July 15, 2017, 11:55:33 AM
I'll also point out that I just tried using Google Maps to see if it would suggest for me to use this exit and it did.

Electronic mapping and GPS directions tend to be horrendous when it comes to areas where traffic is segregated.  I believe every one of them, when it gets to toll plazas where one could use EZ Pass bypass lanes or a toll plaza, will tell you to use just the EZ Pass lanes or just the cash lanes.  They need to somehow relay that if you have an EZ Pass to use certain lanes, and if you're using cash to use other lanes.  In cases like this ramp, it would be nice if there was a programmable option that would alert the GPS/Electronic Map to know if you have an EZ Pass.  No to an EZ Pass?  The directions won't bother with this interchange then.  The clueless driver needing the GPS to begin with won't even realize it.

ekt8750

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 15, 2017, 02:41:16 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on July 15, 2017, 11:55:33 AM
I'll also point out that I just tried using Google Maps to see if it would suggest for me to use this exit and it did.

Electronic mapping and GPS directions tend to be horrendous when it comes to areas where traffic is segregated.  I believe every one of them, when it gets to toll plazas where one could use EZ Pass bypass lanes or a toll plaza, will tell you to use just the EZ Pass lanes or just the cash lanes.  They need to somehow relay that if you have an EZ Pass to use certain lanes, and if you're using cash to use other lanes.  In cases like this ramp, it would be nice if there was a programmable option that would alert the GPS/Electronic Map to know if you have an EZ Pass.  No to an EZ Pass?  The directions won't bother with this interchange then.  The clueless driver needing the GPS to begin with won't even realize it.

Yep. God forbid anyone ever reads a sign these days.

roadman

Quote from: plain on July 13, 2017, 12:20:46 AM
Quote from: seicer on July 12, 2017, 11:53:19 PM
Even having the street name with "EZ-PASS" Only under it would be far better.

It reminds me of this: https://goo.gl/maps/55gcrVtuRRQ2

The signs make it not clear that the tolls apply only to trucks, buses and cars with trailers. The left sign should read "Cars, Trucks, Buses, Cars with Trailers with EZ-PASS" with a minimum toll amount listed. The right sign should be amended to read the same with CASH ONLY (or a symbol as is used elsewhere) instead of "WITHOUT EZ-PASS."

Wasn't the FHWA studying (and soliciting opinions) on these type of topics?

Agreed about having the street name over the EZ-PASS, along with a smaller logo like Alps said.
MUTCD standard is that the ETC banner is to be placed above, not beneath, the destination information.  Plus, APL signs are supposed to show ALL lanes - not just the exit lane and the option lane.  E-ZPass logo should be smaller, 'ONLY' should be to the right of the logo, and a 'NO CASH (or 'NO CASH OPTION' like Massachusetts uses) banner should be placed beneath.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman65

Florida has these partial APLs on FL 528 at the Orlando Airport. 

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Drove the Parkway all the way from 129 to 0 this week on vacation.

Some notes:
-1 mile advance for the new SB 125. Has an oversized EZ-Pass logo again but without the APL arrows, it's easier to understand. I wish they had not used them for the other sign.
-109 has not gotten any new MUTCD signage. Are they going to do it as part of the 109 reconstruction project? Everything else in that section (from the Monnmouth toll to the Raritan Toll) has new signage.
-Not a lot of new signage in the Toms River area. 82-82A hasn't been redesignated as 82A-B as of yet.
-The new Atlantic Service Area is actually kind of nice.
-The completed lane expansion through the ACE is NICE. Makes a big difference in slowdowns through a lot of areas, especially around LBI. They're stopping at 36. Did they determine that the AADT south of there wasn't worth the expansion even with summer vacationer traffic? The new GEH bridge is clearly wide enough for added lanes once they finish the other bridge (I mean, the new bridge could have been the only bridge for both sets of lanes, but they did not build it that way).
-The new Exit 0 improvements are nice. NJDOT put up a gorgeous APL on 109 for the new interchange.
-Question I've been curious about for years. Why are the tolls at Exit 4 to and from the South? I mean, they've been there since the inception of the roadway, I'm pretty sure. Those toll booths look original. Why not to and from the North, where you get a large number of vacation traffic coming from northern Jersey/NY/Quebec to the Wildwoods. Are they making enough tolls with traffic coming to and from Cape May to make it worth it?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: storm2k on August 06, 2017, 12:49:38 AM
-Question I've been curious about for years. Why are the tolls at Exit 4 to and from the South? I mean, they've been there since the inception of the roadway, I'm pretty sure. Those toll booths look original. Why not to and from the North, where you get a large number of vacation traffic coming from northern Jersey/NY/Quebec to the Wildwoods. Are they making enough tolls with traffic coming to and from Cape May to make it worth it?

Formerly, the last toll plaza going south was between Interchanges 20 & 17.  After that, I guess they determined that motorists 'paid' their way to the end.  Now, it's only a 1 way toll, going North.  Again, I guess they figure that there aren't many alternative options and that motorist on the southern 17 miles going North don't have many options, especially if they want to continue to go along the shoreline.

That said, Parkway users between 0 & 17 have multiple opportunities to use the Parkway free of charge.  If someone got on the Parkway at 0, they could pay a toll exiting at 4, but not at 9, 10, 11 or 13.  I'm sure they had their reasons for this strange setup way back when, but doubtful anyone today would know the exact reason.  Probably some sort of agreement with Cape May County when the Parkway was first built.

QuoteDid they determine that the AADT south of there wasn't worth the expansion even with summer vacationer traffic? The new GEH bridge is clearly wide enough for added lanes once they finish the other bridge (I mean, the new bridge could have been the only bridge for both sets of lanes, but they did not build it that way).

Yep.  The original plan was to widen the Parkway down to Interchange 30 (Somers Point/9th Street Ocean City) but I believe they've abandoned those plans for now. It'll narrow from 3 lanes to 2 just after Interchange 36.  A bridge over a river/marshland was widened several years ago around MP 32 to accommodate 3 lanes per direction, but won't be used as such for the time being.  Since they had to replace the tall bridge over Great Egg Harbor Bay anyway, they decided to make it wide enough for 3 lanes, but there's no plans in the future to widen the rest of the roadway to 3 lanes in the area.

NE2

The toll at 4 dates to when they added the south-facing ramps to what was a partial interchange. Presumably they figured they needed a toll to help pay for the construction.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

Its amazing how sprawl in Ocean and Atlantic Counties changed it all, but I remember when the road narrowed to 2 lanes each way starting at Exit 98.  I was driving to the shore in High School then and it was just about okay.  It was widened to three lanes each way in the mid 80's and then from 91 to 88 the shoulder removed to add a third lane there and then eventually to 80 the same thing.

Now its four lanes to 91 and three to Pleasantville.  If they widen it all the way to Cap May only Bergen County north of Paramus will be the original two lanes each way then.

Its a shame I live way down here to have not seen all of this transpire as well as get photos of the new signs that have gone up as a result of MUTCD and the construction projects.  NJ was my home for 25 years of my life and you can't rid yourself of the memories.  And always it will be home to me.   The Parkway was a major road I used as I lived in Clark at 135 and saw many changes to it while a resident, but these latest are the ultimate from what I hear and see from photos.

Sheryl Crowe

jwolfer

Quote from: roadman65 on August 13, 2017, 01:28:16 PM
Its amazing how sprawl in Ocean and Atlantic Counties changed it all, but I remember when the road narrowed to 2 lanes each way starting at Exit 98.  I was driving to the shore in High School then and it was just about okay.  It was widened to three lanes each way in the mid 80's and then from 91 to 88 the shoulder removed to add a third lane there and then eventually to 80 the same thing.

Now its four lanes to 91 and three to Pleasantville.  If they widen it all the way to Cap May only Bergen County north of Paramus will be the original two lanes each way then.

Its a shame I live way down here to have not seen all of this transpire as well as get photos of the new signs that have gone up as a result of MUTCD and the construction projects.  NJ was my home for 25 years of my life and you can't rid yourself of the memories.  And always it will be home to me.   The Parkway was a major road I used as I lived in Clark at 135 and saw many changes to it while a resident, but these latest are the ultimate from what I hear and see from photos.
Exit 91 is a full exit now.. Of course with a mess of jughandles...

Lakewood has nearly 100k people. I am from Pt Pleasant Beach, which was fully built out in the 1950s but Brick and Toms River changed rural backwaters to suburbia without the urb

LGMS428

jeffandnicole

I don't see them widening it all the way to Cape May.  When the overpasses were built for interchanges 9, 10 & 11, no allowances were made for a 3rd lane in each direction.

The new bridge over Egg Harbor was built wide enough for a 3rd lane, although the width probably helps more for the current construction traffic pattern than for any short or long term plans to widen the GSP south of that area.

storm2k

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 14, 2017, 10:47:16 AM

I don't see them widening it all the way to Cape May.  When the overpasses were built for interchanges 9, 10 & 11, no allowances were made for a 3rd lane in each direction.

The new bridge over Egg Harbor was built wide enough for a 3rd lane, although the width probably helps more for the current construction traffic pattern than for any short or long term plans to widen the GSP south of that area.

I believe the original 3 laning was supposed to go to 30, so having the bridge have 3 lanes makes sense from a future proofing angle if the idea is to maybe take it to be 3 lanes down to 25 or so to cover the southern end of Ocean City. I don't see the AADT being high enough, even during summer season, to go any further south from there.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on August 15, 2017, 01:49:20 AM

I believe the original 3 laning was supposed to go to 30, so having the bridge have 3 lanes makes sense from a future proofing angle if the idea is to maybe take it to be 3 lanes down to 25 or so to cover the southern end of Ocean City. I don't see the AADT being high enough, even during summer season, to go any further south from there.
30 is correct. The volume goes down from 30-29 and then up a bit from 29-25, which you'd expect because that's the stretch multiplexed wtih 9.

roadman65

I read on the GSP website ( I think it was that one or a good sourced road enthusiast web page) that it was to be 80 to 30 with 80 to 63 being the first phase while 63 to 30 being the second half.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on August 17, 2017, 08:22:11 AM

I read on the GSP website ( I think it was that one or a good sourced road enthusiast web page) that it was to be 80 to 30 with 80 to 63 being the first phase while 63 to 30 being the second half.

that was the original plan.  They've cut that back though to around MP 35/Interchange 36.  MP 30-35 won't be widened for the time being.

roadman65

So that answers that.  It was to be original and my sources were accurate then.  It appears that way then as I have seen other projects get scaled back in some form.  I guess its not worth selling more bonds over and traffic to Cape May County is not that much of a demand.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

The Great Egg Harbor Bridge seems to back up from time to time. I don't remember that happening at all 15 years ago. Heck, I got stuck in a backup there in the middle of the winter!

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on August 17, 2017, 09:29:07 PM
The Great Egg Harbor Bridge seems to back up from time to time. I don't remember that happening at all 15 years ago. Heck, I got stuck in a backup there in the middle of the winter!
Construction does things.

bzakharin

Looks like the Exit 36 to 38 section construction has moved into a new phase. There are now three paved and striped thru lanes on this entire segment in both directions, though the left lane is blocked off by cones. The off-ramp from the Atlantic City Expressway Westbound to the Parkway Southbound is now fully open. It has two thru lanes, the right of which ends after entering the Parkway, but the left lane becomes the exit lane for Exit 36, which is convenient for me since that's exactly where I'm going. Oddly enough, the overhead for Exit 36 has a second arrow greened out. It doesn't look like a two-lane exit now, and there are no signs of additional work now that the new ramp is fully paved and the new lane on Tilton Rd is intermittently open when they are not doing work on the GSP overpass there, so not sure what the intention is there.

Northbound, the entrance from Fire Road now has a normal acceleration again.

jeffandnicole

http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2017/10/the_oddity_of_the_twin_parkway_service_areas_that_are_on_private_property.html#incart_river_home

On the Garden State Parkway, there's actually 2 privately owned gas stations that don't follow any of the NJ Turnpike Authority's normal rules about service areas, pricing and such.  This article mentions how that came to be.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.