News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

CA-58 Hinkley Bypass Project

Started by myosh_tino, September 08, 2014, 03:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

Quote from: MarkF on September 24, 2014, 01:39:58 AM
Quote from: mrsman on September 22, 2014, 11:44:33 PM

With regard to Santa Ana on NB I-5, this is a fairly recent phenomenon.  When I was growing up, you'd only see Los Angeles on the northbound BGS, all the way from San Diego to the East LA Interchange. 

Apparently, Dist. 12 had the idea that this was a good way to promote Orange County.

I think the city of Santa Ana requested the I-5 northbound control city change.

But why listen to them?  If they really wanted to include Santa Ana, the better course would have been 2 control cities (Santa Ana and Los Angeles) throughout I-5 northbound in southern Orange county.

MarkF

Quote from: mrsman on October 03, 2014, 01:36:18 PM

With regard to Santa Ana on NB I-5, this is a fairly recent phenomenon.  When I was growing up, you'd only see Los Angeles on the northbound BGS, all the way from San Diego to the East LA Interchange. 

Apparently, Dist. 12 had the idea that this was a good way to promote Orange County.

But why listen to them?  If they really wanted to include Santa Ana, the better course would have been 2 control cities (Santa Ana and Los Angeles) throughout I-5 northbound in southern Orange county.

I agree. I wasn't happy with the removal of Los Angeles from the signs.  Here's an article about how the city of Santa Ana got the signs changed:
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/santa-188399-city-freeway.html

mrsman

Quote from: MarkF on October 04, 2014, 02:33:46 AM

I agree. I wasn't happy with the removal of Los Angeles from the signs.  Here's an article about how the city of Santa Ana got the signs changed:
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/santa-188399-city-freeway.html

I read the article and I can see why Santa Ana would want some extra promotion, but I still feel that they would have adequate promotion by having both SA and LA signed on the BGSes.

And Dist. 12 is not allergic to having two control cities on the BGS.  From the article, you can see a picture of the CA-55/I-5 interchange where they show CA-55 as being a control city of Anaheim/Riverside.  Leaving aside the question of whether Anaheim is appropriate (Yorba Linda would be a better choice), they do acknowledge that two control cities would be helpful to motorists heading to northern Orange County (and then many continuing further east on the 91 toward Riverside).

A control of Santa Ana / Los Angeles would be a win-win.  Alas, they don't listen to me.

admtrap

Ugh, let's not even get into the utter mess that is SR 55 and SR 91's control city of "Anaheim/Riverside" [sic]. 

pderocco

The Hinkley Bypass is now under construction. I wasn't even aware of it until I went up there to see if the Lenwood Road bridge over the railroad was complete. It is, but Lenwood is now closed just before you get to CA-58, with a big pile of dirt that will be part of a new interchange on the freeway alignment. Hinkley Road is similarly closed, and you can see the new roadbed cleared pretty much along its entire length. I was unable to find any projected completion date online, however.

It seems odd that they'd do Hinkley before the Kramer Junction Bypass. That's where the real backups occur. In the long run, the two-lane stretch through Hinkley would have been a problem, but not immediately. There's no sign of work further west.

nexus73

Quote from: pderocco on October 08, 2015, 01:30:54 AM
The Hinkley Bypass is now under construction. I wasn't even aware of it until I went up there to see if the Lenwood Road bridge over the railroad was complete. It is, but Lenwood is now closed just before you get to CA-58, with a big pile of dirt that will be part of a new interchange on the freeway alignment. Hinkley Road is similarly closed, and you can see the new roadbed cleared pretty much along its entire length. I was unable to find any projected completion date online, however.

It seems odd that they'd do Hinkley before the Kramer Junction Bypass. That's where the real backups occur. In the long run, the two-lane stretch through Hinkley would have been a problem, but not immediately. There's no sign of work further west.

Here's your completion date:

The $201 million project was awarded to Skanska USA Civil and is expected to be finished by December 2016. Crews have already started work. The project will widen and realign Highway 58 from a two-lane conventional highway to a four-lane expressway. Two interchanges will be built at Hinkley Road and Lenwood Road.

http://www.vvdailypress.com/article/20150801/NEWS/150809981

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

myosh_tino

Quote from: pderocco on October 08, 2015, 01:30:54 AM

The Kramer Junction Bypass project has not gone out to bid yet which is why there's no work going on there.  If I had to guess, I would say the Kramer Junction project will be advertised sometime late this year or early next year with construction starting about a year after that.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

The Ghostbuster

I think CA-58 should be completely freeway from Barstow to Interstate 5, even if it never becomes an extension of Interstate 40.

myosh_tino

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 08, 2015, 04:43:37 PM
I think CA-58 should be completely freeway from Barstow to Interstate 5, even if it never becomes an extension of Interstate 40.

Like I said earlier, plans are moving forward on the Kramer Junction bypass project.  Once these two projects are completed, CA-58 will be a freeway or expressway from Bakersfield to Barstow.  There's probably not enough cross traffic east of Mojave to warrant the removal of the at-grade intersections so conversion to a full freeway seems unlikely.

With that said, I do think an upgrade of the CA-223 intersection east of Bakersfield by building an interchange is warranted.
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

mrsman

Quote from: myosh_tino on October 08, 2015, 05:11:20 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 08, 2015, 04:43:37 PM

Like I said earlier, plans are moving forward on the Kramer Junction bypass project.  Once these two projects are completed, CA-58 will be a freeway or expressway from Bakersfield to Barstow.  There's probably not enough cross traffic east of Mojave to warrant the removal of the at-grade intersections so conversion to a full freeway seems unlikely.

With that said, I do think an upgrade of the CA-223 intersection east of Bakersfield by building an interchange is warranted.

For most rural roads, including this stretch of CA 58, 4-lane divided expressway treatment is generally good enough.  Full interchanges with other major highways (like Kramer Jct), freeways through cities, and expressways that skip lights but have a few at-grade intersections would work on CA-58 just as well as it does on US 101 through central CA.

Rover_0

This is probably more fit for the Fictional Highways thread, but I have a solution for CA-58 if it never becomes I-40: Make the Barstow-Bakersfield section CA-40 as a continuation of sorts of I-40.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

kkt

Quote from: Rover_0 on October 09, 2015, 11:50:33 AM
This is probably more fit for the Fictional Highways thread, but I have a solution for CA-58 if it never becomes I-40: Make the Barstow-Bakersfield section CA-40 as a continuation of sorts of I-40.

Yes.  That was suggested on another thread recently:

Quote from: english si on September 30, 2015, 02:15:24 PM
Renumber CA58 as CA40. Renumber I-580 as I-58, just dropping the zero at the end.

CA 40 should be at least to I-5, using the Westside Parkway.  Or even west of I-5, taking over the CA 46 route to 101 at or near Paso Robles.

mrsman

Quote from: kkt on October 09, 2015, 12:44:38 PM

Renumber CA58 as CA40. Renumber I-580 as I-58, just dropping the zero at the end.

CA 40 should be at least to I-5, using the Westside Parkway.  Or even west of I-5, taking over the CA 46 route to 101 at or near Paso Robles.

It's a good idea, especially since CA-58's interchange with I-15 was moved to south of I-40, so that people can make a seemless connection from I-40 to CA-40 via I-15.

myosh_tino

Quote from: mrsman on October 09, 2015, 03:14:57 PM
Quote from: kkt on October 09, 2015, 12:44:38 PM

It's a good idea, especially since CA-58's interchange with I-15 was moved to south of I-40, so that people can make a seemless connection from I-40 to CA-40 via I-15.

I'm sorry but I don't see the point of renumbering CA-58, especially when you factor in the cost of having to change signs and route shields.  I am definitely not in favor of renumbering CA-46 between I-5 and US 101 due to the historical significance of the route's previous number, US 466.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: admtrap on October 08, 2014, 08:33:59 PM
Ugh, let's not even get into the utter mess that is SR 55 and SR 91's control city of "Anaheim/Riverside" [sic]. 

Oh please, let's.  I like envisioning some poor family who 20 minutes beforehand was pulling out of the rental car lot at John Wayne Airport and excited to arrive at Disneyland now stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic on the 91 unknowingly headed to Corona.

Occidental Tourist

District 12 listens to almost anyone, including, sometimes, the voices in their heads, when it comes to signage.  At least that's my theory to explain why they decided to spend money to rename the Newport Freeway to the Costa Mesa Freeway and why Artesia is a control city on the 91.

ACSCmapcollector

Connecting the California State Route 58 Kramer Jct. to the rest of the expwy.? (expressway)

I also go on the Caltrans District 8 for San Bernardino and Riverside Counties for the California state route 58, I am talking about the portion of east of the Kramer Jct. to the next section that is just to the west of Barstow, CA on that highway, to bring it up to expressway standards or freeway standards.

EA: 04351
EA   04351
County   SBD
Route   058
Construction Started   January 28, 2015
Construction to End   February 27, 2017
Project Total   157,835
Location   IN HINKLEY, FR 2.4 MI W/O HIDDEN RIVER RD TO 0.7 MI E/O LENWOOD RD
Description   REALIGN & WIDEN SR-58 TO 4-LANE EXPRESSWAY (SOUTHERLY ALT) PHASE 2

http://www.dot.ca.gov/d8/

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

myosh_tino

To answer your question, the Hinkley Bypass is being built to expressway standards, not freeway standards even though it includes 2 interchanges at Lenwood and Hinkley.

You can read more about this project in a discussion I started back in the 2014 when the project went out to bid... https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=13433.msg2005716#msg2005716

ACSCmapcollector

I am thinking about the section Caltrans is working on just west of Barstow, CA not the Kramer Jct. CA 58 expressway.  In Hinkley, CA not at U.S. 395 but further down the highway just outside of Barstow at the city of Hinkley, CA

This is what I have brought up as the project:

EA: 04351
EA   04351
County   SBD
Route   058
Construction Started   January 28, 2015
Construction to End   February 27, 2017
Project Total   157,835
Location   IN HINKLEY, FR 2.4 MI W/O HIDDEN RIVER RD TO 0.7 MI E/O LENWOOD RD
Description   REALIGN & WIDEN SR-58 TO 4-LANE EXPRESSWAY (SOUTHERLY ALT) PHASE 2

It was started on January 28, 2015 and will be finished by February 27, 2017 according to Caltrans District 8, for San Bernardino & Riverside Counties.

The Kramer Jct. Section of California State Route 58 from the same Caltrans District 8 is here:

Location ID: 39
Location ID   39
EA   34770
ProjectNumber   0800000616
County   SBD
Route   058
Begin Postmile   0.0
End Postmile   12.9
Description   CONSTRUCT 4-LANE DIVIDED EXPWY; SR58/US395 IC & RR OH BR
URL

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

myosh_tino

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on July 09, 2016, 03:59:02 PM
I am thinking about the section Caltrans is working on just west of Barstow, CA not the Kramer Jct. CA 58 expressway. 

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

Yes, that's the Hinkley Bypass.  I started a discussion on it back in 2014 which I linked to in my previous post.

Mods, its it possible to merge this with the topic with the one I started... https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=13433.msg2005716#msg2005716 or modify the title of this topic to refer to the Hinkley Bypass and not the Kramer Junction Bypass?  Thanks!

Note, just to clarify...
Hinkley Bypass Project (started Sept 2014) - https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=13433
Kramer Junction Bypass Project (started July 2016) - https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18308.0

New thread started July 2016 merged into existing thread. –Roadfro

myosh_tino

Just a quick note.  I'm headed to Las Vegas on Friday (10/21/16) and plan to get some photos of the Hinkley Bypass construction from Hwy 58.  I'm thinking they should be nearing completion of the bypass as it's supposed to open in a couple of months.  I will post the photos here once I get them uploaded to my server.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: myosh_tino on October 21, 2016, 04:31:26 AM
Just a quick note.  I'm headed to Las Vegas on Friday (10/21/16) and plan to get some photos of the Hinkley Bypass construction from Hwy 58.  I'm thinking they should be nearing completion of the bypass as it's supposed to open in a couple of months.  I will post the photos here once I get them uploaded to my server.

I'll be looking forward to seeing it....from the perspective of someone else.  I literally went all the way up to Trona-Wildrose Road and CA 190 to get Vegas.  I'll be taking whatever crazed series of mountain highways like CA 18, 138 and CA 2 over Angeles Crest to get back to Bakersfield.  I usually got out of my way just to avoid Kramer Junction...no matter what it takes.  :rolleyes:

nexus73

I'll be looking forward to those pix Myosh.  Some day we'll have real roads in the High Desert!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

coatimundi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 21, 2016, 10:00:50 AM
I literally went all the way up to Trona-Wildrose Road and CA 190 to get Vegas.  I'll be taking whatever crazed series of mountain highways like CA 18, 138 and CA 2 over Angeles Crest to get back to Bakersfield.  I usually got out of my way just to avoid Kramer Junction...no matter what it takes.  :rolleyes:

That's a bit over-dramatic, isn't it? I mean, I don't like driving through there, but going far out of the way and over isolated mountain passes seems a bit extreme to avoid a few miles of 2-lane road and a traffic signal.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: coatimundi on October 21, 2016, 05:50:44 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 21, 2016, 10:00:50 AM
I literally went all the way up to Trona-Wildrose Road and CA 190 to get Vegas.  I'll be taking whatever crazed series of mountain highways like CA 18, 138 and CA 2 over Angeles Crest to get back to Bakersfield.  I usually got out of my way just to avoid Kramer Junction...no matter what it takes.  :rolleyes:

That's a bit over-dramatic, isn't it? I mean, I don't like driving through there, but going far out of the way and over isolated mountain passes seems a bit extreme to avoid a few miles of 2-lane road and a traffic signal.

The thing I hate about writing is that it seldom conveys a tone properly.  I'll rephrase, generally I can think of some more scenic way that isn't going to take me to Phoenix or Las Vegas that isn't as grating as taking notes 58 to I-40 or I-15.  Generally when I'm heading east it's for some recreational purpose.  So that being the case I tend just avoid almost anything with a lot of traffic unless it's necessary.  This trip would be a good example, I think that I've taken barely more than 200 miles of I-15, I-70, I-40, and I-17.

But for what it's worth I've always had terrible luck eastbound on 58 at Kramer Junction due to the slow down with it down grading from an expressway to two-land road just past Boron as it crosses a series of rails.  Usually the back up is one to five miles if you try to get through in the middle of a weekday. 

Besides its a beautiful time of year right before winter.  Missing out on Dantes View Road and Angeles Crest just was something that wasn't going to happen. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.