News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

A NEWARK, NJ Roadmeet?

Started by place-saint-henri, November 10, 2014, 12:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

place-saint-henri

Hello Roadgeeks.

I love the City of Newark. It is a beautiful and interesting city. I would like to organize a NEWARK ROAD MEET!!!

Here is the proposed interest points:

Meet at Hobby's Deli

we would see:

Broad Street
Ferry Street
McCarter Highway
Alan Street
Springfield Avenue
I-280 and I-78.
Frelinghuysen Avenue
Irvine Turner Blvd
Bloomfield Ave
North 6th St
Heller Parkway
The Newark City Subway System (optional ride after the meet)

After the meet we could have dinner at the Broad Street McDonalds, or the Adega Grill (a fancy resturaunt in the Ironbound)

Priority would be given to cars with Manual transmissions as they are harder to steal.

would anyone want to come?

Roadgeek Adam

We had a Newark meet in 2011 that I hosted. Nothing new to see.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Zeffy

Quote from: place-saint-henri on November 10, 2014, 12:13:11 AM
I love the City of Newark. It is a beautiful and interesting city. I would like to organize a NEWARK ROAD MEET!!!

You are definitely one of the first people I've seen to comment Newark in a way that isn't negative. I suppose that's fine though, since I'm probably the only person on here who loves Trenton. (Speaking of which, one of my top priorities is a Trenton meet, which I may consider hosting when (or if...) the PA Turnpike and I-276 interchange opens, since that's a big thing I would think plus there hasn't been a meet in Trenton before so why not?)
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Pete from Boston

Ten years ago, when Jersey City was blowing up, I told people Newark was the next logical big thing, and that in ten years people would be buying up in Newark.

Ten years later, I'm still saying the same thing–ten years from now, Newark's gonna be happening.  You heard it hear (ten years from now, I'll say it again).

Zeffy

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 10, 2014, 10:25:16 AM
Ten years ago, when Jersey City was blowing up, I told people Newark was the next logical big thing, and that in ten years people would be buying up in Newark.

Ten years later, I'm still saying the same thing–ten years from now, Newark's gonna be happening.  You heard it hear (ten years from now, I'll say it again).

I can see a very bright future for both Trenton and Newark if they can address the biggest problems of public safety and education. The new administration in Trenton definitely looks to be so much better than how Tony Mack basically left the city to rot. If Trenton can continue to appeal to the younger generation with some of the events such as the Trenton half-marathon, Trenton Punk Rock Festival, Trenton Art-All-Night, etc, then I think it is very possible to see a revitalization of the city. Trenton is an excellent venue for events such as these, and if the city and it's residents can keep enticing people, Trenton will move on from it's rough past. Trenton has beautiful scenery in almost every neighborhood, and if you can remove the blight, people will want to live there again.

Newark already has a very built-up downtown section, and the Ironbound district continues to operate as a premier hangout-spot. The proximity to New York City is a great thing that Newark has. One big problem Newark has besides public safety is that it's budget is very poor, which needs to be fixed if they want to improve the public safety.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

SSOWorld

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on November 10, 2014, 01:07:44 AM
We had a Newark meet in 2011 that I hosted. Nothing new to see.
Covered a bunch of this in June as part of the NYC meet as well.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

yanksfan6129

Quote from: Zeffy on November 10, 2014, 09:57:20 AM

You are definitely one of the first people I've seen to comment Newark in a way that isn't negative.

Didn't he say that we should drive manuals because they're harder to steal?

Laura

Even though there have been two meets that have covered Newark in the past three years, I'd come to your meet because roads.

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on November 10, 2014, 06:40:25 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on November 10, 2014, 09:57:20 AM

You are definitely one of the first people I've seen to comment Newark in a way that isn't negative.

Didn't he say that we should drive manuals because they're harder to steal?

Meh, Newark's got nothing on Baltimore. Then again, Baltimore wasn't even in the top ten most dangerous cities article that someone posted today...so maybe that isn't saying much anymore.

vdeane

After the meet we could have dinner at the Broad Street McDonalds
I've never hosted a roadmeet at such a world class eatery with a fine dining experience before.  I must host my next meet at McDonalds!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

Alan Street

Apparently there actually is an Alan Street, but it's in West Orange.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Laura on November 10, 2014, 09:11:33 PMMeh, Newark's got nothing on Baltimore. Then again, Baltimore wasn't even in the top ten most dangerous cities article that someone posted today...so maybe that isn't saying much anymore.

Another heartwarming game of "My gaping wound is more infected than yours."

Laura

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 11, 2014, 04:38:08 PM

Quote from: Laura on November 10, 2014, 09:11:33 PMMeh, Newark's got nothing on Baltimore. Then again, Baltimore wasn't even in the top ten most dangerous cities article that someone posted today...so maybe that isn't saying much anymore.

Another heartwarming game of "My gaping wound is more infected than yours."

There are very few areas of Baltimore City that I wouldn't drive through and briefly visit. It's not so much that my wound is bigger - actually the opposite. If I'll go almost anywhere in Baltimore City, then Newark doesn't scare me.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.