News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Rams and Raiders to Los Angeles?

Started by bing101, November 11, 2014, 09:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Quote from: Henry on January 11, 2016, 11:37:21 AM
I think it's safe to say that the Rams are going back to L.A., and resume their rivalry with the 49ers. Sort of a football version of Dodgers-Giants: same cities, different sport.

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 10, 2016, 07:26:55 AM
Reminds me of Major League Baseball's transparent manipulation of the Expos situation to shape the outcome of that process.  This Goodell statement is right out of that particular book of blackmail.
The NBA also did this with the Sonics, IIRC. Which is part of the reason why they're the OKC Thunder now.

While I am not a fan of franchises relocating, if just one team goes to Los Angeles, I could live with that. I highly doubt St. Louis would get the Cleveland or Houston treatment and eventually be awarded an expansion franchise, especially when the only rumor for expansion involves adding a team to London, which many teams would oppose due to the time distance and travel required.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Alex on January 11, 2016, 11:48:34 AM
Quote from: Henry on January 11, 2016, 11:37:21 AM
I think it's safe to say that the Rams are going back to L.A., and resume their rivalry with the 49ers. Sort of a football version of Dodgers-Giants: same cities, different sport.

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 10, 2016, 07:26:55 AM
Reminds me of Major League Baseball's transparent manipulation of the Expos situation to shape the outcome of that process.  This Goodell statement is right out of that particular book of blackmail.
The NBA also did this with the Sonics, IIRC. Which is part of the reason why they're the OKC Thunder now.

While I am not a fan of franchises relocating, if just one team goes to Los Angeles, I could live with that. I highly doubt St. Louis would get the Cleveland or Houston treatment and eventually be awarded an expansion franchise, especially when the only rumor for expansion involves adding a team to London, which many teams would oppose due to the time distance and travel required.

Just give up on Jacksonville already and move the Jags to St. Louis.

Henry

Well, a decision could be reached tomorrow...and it looks like two teams will move to L.A. Be it the Rams and Chargers, or Raiders and Chargers, I think it'll be very interesting to see how this experiment plays out.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

swbrotha100

The Rams are going back to L.A. as of the 2016 season. Chargers have the option to move with the Rams to the Inglewood stadium. Raiders are staying in Oakland.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/30939182/nfl-vote-rams-move-to-los-angeles-chargers-have-option-to-join

Los Angeles Rams Fan Site (Facebook):

https://www.facebook.com/losangelesrams/

Alex

The Raiders can consider relocation again in one year. Maybe Sacramento can host them!

bing101

Quote from: Alex on January 12, 2016, 11:52:14 PM
The Raiders can consider relocation again in one year. Maybe Sacramento can host them!

Can't happen because Sacramento has to deal with being overshadowed by San Francisco.
2. Sacramento a few years back fought to keep the NBA Kings in the city.

Billy F 1988

The moving to L.A. to me probably is a result of how the St. Louis team continually sucked badly these eleven years after they've made their 2004 playoff appearance and gave the city their only Super Bowl in 1999. My guess is that St. Louis citizens who've followed the Rams when they moved out of L.A. the first time just about had enough of their mediocrity and because of that, those same Rams fans are now gonna have to head to L.A. if this deal goes through as planned.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Alex

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on January 13, 2016, 09:54:51 AM
The moving to L.A. to me probably is a result of how the St. Louis team continually sucked badly these eleven years after they've made their 2004 playoff appearance and gave the city their only Super Bowl in 1999. My guess is that St. Louis citizens who've followed the Rams when they moved out of L.A. the first time just about had enough of their mediocrity and because of that, those same Rams fans are now gonna have to head to L.A. if this deal goes through as planned.

From what I read, the owner put minimal interest in having the team be successful the last 5-10 years. Some speculated that it was an effort to railroad the team so they could eventually relocate. Difficult to keep a fan base when your team continuously plays poorly.

Alex

Raiders to San Antonio?

NFL vote means Raiders could be playing in Texas as soon as next season

QuoteThe bigger mystery is where the Raiders will play next season, and the possibilities are seemingly endless but may point to a choice between staying in Oakland or moving to San Antonio.

The Raiders' lease at the Coliseum in Oakland has expired, which means the team is free to move anywhere.

When Raiders owner Mark Davis addressed the media, it was clear that he was not happy with the outcome of Tuesday's meetings, saying, "This is not a win for the Raiders today."

QuoteIn 2014, the Raiders met with San Antonio officials about a potential move. While many shrugged that off at the time, there is now a feeling that such a move is possible. According to Jason Cole of Bleacher Report, the Raiders have already secured land in the Austin/San Antonio area for a potential stadium. With the Alamodome already in place, this strongly suggests that the Raiders could be playing in Texas as soon as next season.

Cole presents the land in Texas as "leverage" against the city of Oakland. But if a new stadium can't be built in the Bay Area, then Texas seems likely to be the next destination for Raider Nation.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alex on January 13, 2016, 12:30:02 PM
Raiders to San Antonio?

NFL vote means Raiders could be playing in Texas as soon as next season

QuoteThe bigger mystery is where the Raiders will play next season, and the possibilities are seemingly endless but may point to a choice between staying in Oakland or moving to San Antonio.

The Raiders' lease at the Coliseum in Oakland has expired, which means the team is free to move anywhere.

When Raiders owner Mark Davis addressed the media, it was clear that he was not happy with the outcome of Tuesday's meetings, saying, "This is not a win for the Raiders today."

QuoteIn 2014, the Raiders met with San Antonio officials about a potential move. While many shrugged that off at the time, there is now a feeling that such a move is possible. According to Jason Cole of Bleacher Report, the Raiders have already secured land in the Austin/San Antonio area for a potential stadium. With the Alamodome already in place, this strongly suggests that the Raiders could be playing in Texas as soon as next season.

Cole presents the land in Texas as "leverage" against the city of Oakland. But if a new stadium can't be built in the Bay Area, then Texas seems likely to be the next destination for Raider Nation.

If that does happen, then we'd have 3 of the 4 regional division areas playing in one state (East, West, South).

Brandon

Quote from: Alex on January 13, 2016, 11:24:43 AM
Quote from: Billy F 1988 on January 13, 2016, 09:54:51 AM

From what I read, the owner put minimal interest in having the team be successful the last 5-10 years. Some speculated that it was an effort to railroad the team so they could eventually relocate. Difficult to keep a fan base when your team continuously plays poorly.

Tell that to the Ford family.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

bing101

http://abc7news.com/sports/oakland-mayor-working-on-new-stadium-deal-for-raiders/1157773/

Well the City of Oakland is negotiating a deal for the Raiders.  I'm shocked that San Jose is not at play here. I know San Jose was the rumored to get the Raiders at one point but that was shot down because of the 49ers and Levi's Stadium.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/02/23/oakland-raiders-levis-stadium-santa-clara-san-francisco-49ers-nfl-football-san-diego-chargers/

DTComposer

Quote from: bing101 on January 13, 2016, 08:07:40 PM
http://abc7news.com/sports/oakland-mayor-working-on-new-stadium-deal-for-raiders/1157773/

Well the City of Oakland is negotiating a deal for the Raiders.  I'm shocked that San Jose is not at play here. I know San Jose was the rumored to get the Raiders at one point but that was shot down because of the 49ers and Levi's Stadium.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/02/23/oakland-raiders-levis-stadium-santa-clara-san-francisco-49ers-nfl-football-san-diego-chargers/

While the Raiders sharing Levi's with the 49ers is still a possibility (although not ideal), San Jose would never be in play, since that would put two NFL-size stadiums within 10 miles of each other, which is silly.

Oakland should have have put all their efforts into a Raiders solution years ago and let the A's go (hopefully striking some deal with the Giants that would have let the A's go to San Jose). Instead, in all likelihood within five years all of Oakland's teams will have left town - I'm pretty sure that would make Oakland the first city to have hosted all four major sports (they had the NHL Seals in the '70s) and subsequently lost them all.

bing101

Politics got in the way as Usual. The Oakland A's had places within the San Jose Area including the area now known as Levi's stadium.  A Fremont location was mentioned at one point but those ideas got shot down for political reasons by MLB and the cities.

Henry

As I said, the Warriors' impending move back to San Francisco could open the door to redevelopment of the Coliseum area. Tear down both Oracle Arena and O.Co Coliseum, then build two new stadiums on the site: one football-only and the other baseball-only. The A's are still committed to trying to get a new stadium built in the area, so that's an encouraging sign. Another is the fact that the NFL will offer the Raiders (and Chargers) $100 million to fund new stadiums in their current cities. If anything, the Raiders belong in Oakland more than they ever did in L.A.

I suspect that the threat of the Chargers leaving San Diego will get voters to change their minds and approve a new stadium there. If not, off to L.A. they go.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

oscar

Quote from: Henry on January 14, 2016, 10:50:08 AM
I suspect that the threat of the Chargers leaving San Diego will get voters to change their minds and approve a new stadium there. If not, off to L.A. they go.

The Chargers have been threatening to leave for some time, including before the last time voters turned down a new stadium.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

ARMOURERERIC

FOX Sports has just reported that the Raider's have acquired the site for a new stadium in San Antonio

Alps

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on January 14, 2016, 10:46:27 PM
FOX Sports has just reported that the Raider's have acquired the site for a new stadium in San Antonio
That is a terrific metro area for football. San Antonio/Austin have grown like hotcakes for 20 years and deserve more than a basketball team total. Just sad that the Raiders have to be the ones - they have quite the following. That said, I hate Raiders fans, so I'm not crying.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mrose

Isn't San Antonio pretty much full-on Cowboys territory anyway? Jerry Jones seems to think so.

bing101

Big John

^^ I just saw that the Chargers will stay in San Diego for the 2016 season.

bing101

Quote from: Big John on January 29, 2016, 06:04:18 PM
^^ I just saw that the Chargers will stay in San Diego for the 2016 season.

True and the chargers had an agreement with the Rams until a stadium is made for the chargers or open the option for the Chargers to go to Inglewood somewhere down the line.

triplemultiplex

I hope Chargers fans are canceling their season tickets.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Desert Man

This is like one of 3 threads about the same issue: NFL relocation to L.A. My post made in June 2015 when this was uncertain is totally the opposite now. The Raider fan base in both Nor and So CA indicates they're the most popular major league sports team in CA, esp. street gangs in Oakland and South L.A. use their logo, colors and insignia. Oddly, the back-to-L.A. Rams and soon-L.A. Chargers have the same team colors: blue and yellow, but in different conferences.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.