News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

RIP-Rochester Inner Loop East

Started by ARMOURERERIC, November 23, 2014, 03:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quote from: froggie on December 13, 2014, 05:41:41 PM
QuoteOther than the West Side Highway, is this the first "through" (as opposed to stub) freeway in the U.S. to be removed? (I say through very loosely, since it didn't link I-490 to any other freeways, and was only available at an alternate route eastbound.)

Harbor Dr in Portland, OR (former US 99W).

Not a through freeway (the north end petered out after crossing the Steel Bridge), and it was essentially replaced by I-5 across the river (in other words, it's more like the relocations of I-30 in Fort Worth and I-40 in OKC, or the vertical relocation of I-93 in Boston). I'm also having trouble determining if it was truly a freeway all the way; the 1962 topo shows a median break at Pine Street. I wish there was a good-quality aerial showing it.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

Not a freeway and not really connected on the northeast end, but Ogden Avenue in Chicago gets an honorable mention.

NE2

IN 912 counts, but it was torn down because it was falling apart.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cpzilliacus

Quote from: NE2 on December 13, 2014, 05:55:36 PM
IN 912 counts, but it was torn down because it was falling apart.

Cline Avenue?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ixnay

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on December 12, 2014, 01:30:13 AM
I noticed that part of the inner loop was gone on Google Maps as long as a few days ago.

Also, thinks for giving us the links to those road videos, ixnay. I've never really known what the inner loop looked like.  :-P

You're welcome.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

empirestate

So, what do we think the remaining (north) segment of the Inner Loop will be called? Will it remain as reference route 940T (and will there be a tiny stub of that route also at I-490 exit 15)? Or could it get a new NY route number, and what would be an appropriate one? Could it, in fact, be I-490 BS?

Or maybe it will get a ceremonial new name: such-and-such Memorial Boulevard, or whatnot?

vdeane

Honestly, I'd keep it as Inner Loop, despite not being a loop any more.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

Ohio has at least two Innerbelts that were never complete loops.

Buffaboy

It almost looks like a freeway that was revolted against and was subsequently left as a stub.

Also, what is that animation snapshot of on page 2?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

ARMOURERERIC

NY 31 Bypass :)

Has any actual demo work commenced?

empirestate

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on February 28, 2015, 11:36:53 PM
NY 31 Bypass :)

Has any actual demo work commenced?

Doubtful, given the weather, and the fact that NYSDOT doesn't seem aware of any Inner Loop projects other than a future plan to upgrade the bridge over High Falls.

(Oh, and it wouldn't make a very good bypass of NY 31, seeing as how the entrance from NY 31 meets I-490 after the Inner Loop ramp branches off–and then the Inner Loop would dump you at East Main St., several blocks north of where NY 31 continues on the other side of downtown.) :-)

ixnay

Quote from: NE2 on February 28, 2015, 05:16:32 PM

Youngstown IIRC was one.  What's the other?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

NE2

Quote from: ixnay on March 01, 2015, 11:45:08 AM

Ixnay, Youngstown is a complete ooplay...? Akron and Cleveland have them.

jemacedo9

There is some work being done near the Main St end of things, but it doesn't look like demo work...it looks like some underground utility work (water/sewer line?) between the two parts of Charlotte St.  There was some work done on the East Ave bridge over the Inner Loop...but that's it so far.

vdeane

I just had a thought: how about making the remaining freeway into a re-route/extension of NY 96?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on March 01, 2015, 07:14:19 PM
I just had a thought: how about making the remaining freeway into a re-route/extension of NY 96?

Might as well; it's not signed west of Winton Road anyway. Would you re-route it off of East Ave. at the University split?

US 41

Just when I thought people and government couldn't get more stupid, they shut down a good freeway.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

froggie

It wasn't that good of a freeway, and had pitifully low traffic volumes to boot...

WNYroadgeek

Quote from: empirestate on March 01, 2015, 07:21:56 PM

Might as well; it's not signed west of Winton Road anyway. Would you re-route it off of East Ave. at the University split?

Seems like that would make the most sense to me: http://goo.gl/maps/M64Is

Alternatively, it could be a re-route/extension of NY 33 instead, either via Mt. Read Blvd and a duplex with I-490 between exits 10 and 13 or via a duplex with I-490 between exits 7 and 13, then route it along the Inner Loop and University Ave, terminating at NY 96. I'd additionally extend NY 33A along W./E. Main St to University Ave to allow it to continue terminating at its' parent.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: froggie on March 01, 2015, 08:48:46 PM
It wasn't that good of a freeway, and had pitifully low traffic volumes to boot...

When I traveled on it in January, the road was a ghost town. (Yes, it was a Sunday is involved, but still mid-afternoon.)
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

empirestate

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on March 02, 2015, 12:39:03 AM

When I traveled on it in January, the road was a ghost town. (Yes, it was a Sunday is involved, but still mid-afternoon.)

That would make sense, it having been closed at the time. ;-)

Seriously though, the east segment of the loop did come in handy occasionally, but mostly only as a bypass of Union St. through the signals at Broad St. and East Ave., as part of a route between I-490 WB and the northeast quadrant of downtown. This was necessitated because a connection between I-490 WB and the eastern loop was never built, either directly or via Clinton Ave. So the posted route was via exit 17, using Broadway and Union St. Coordinated signals along Broadway, combined with the Inner Loop bypass, made this a perfectly tolerable route, albeit one that didn't serve a large segment of commuters. I happened to be one of them, though, so I always appreciated the road's existence.

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on March 01, 2015, 11:43:53 PM

Seems like that would make the most sense to me: http://goo.gl/maps/M64Is

Alternatively, it could be a re-route/extension of NY 33 instead, either via Mt. Read Blvd and a duplex with I-490 between exits 10 and 13 or via a duplex with I-490 between exits 7 and 13, then route it along the Inner Loop and University Ave, terminating at NY 96. I'd additionally extend NY 33A along W./E. Main St to University Ave to allow it to continue terminating at its' parent.

I've always thought about how NY 33 might extend east of downtown, but I always liked it as the surface route along Main St. But in truth, what always made the most sense to me was to have it terminate in the center of downtown at a common junction with NY 15 and NY 96 (presumably at Four Corners).

I'm liking NY 96 much better for the ex-Inner Loop, however. It would form a logical route connecting Rochester's west side with the near-east side neighborhoods.

vdeane

I was actually thinking of turning right at Union St and then left onto the loop.  Last I checked, when work is complete, there will still be a freeway between the ramps to Main St/University Ave and Union St.

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on March 02, 2015, 03:27:52 PM

I was actually thinking of turning right at Union St and then left onto the loop.  Last I checked, when work is complete, there will still be a freeway between the ramps to Main St/University Ave and Union St.

You're right; I'd forgotten about that detail. But I'm still liking the direct, straight-thru connection of University Ave. better. (And actually, I wouldn't be surprised if that connection gets revised out of the ultimate plans...)

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: empirestate on March 02, 2015, 02:17:16 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on March 02, 2015, 12:39:03 AM

That would make sense, it having been closed at the time. ;-)

Seriously though, the east segment of the loop did come in handy occasionally, but mostly only as a bypass of Union St. through the signals at Broad St. and East Ave., as part of a route between I-490 WB and the northeast quadrant of downtown. This was necessitated because a connection between I-490 WB and the eastern loop was never built, either directly or via Clinton Ave. So the posted route was via exit 17, using Broadway and Union St. Coordinated signals along Broadway, combined with the Inner Loop bypass, made this a perfectly tolerable route, albeit one that didn't serve a large segment of commuters. I happened to be one of them, though, so I always appreciated the road's existence.

I meant the part that was open. I believe we only passed 1 or 2 cars the entire time.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

ixnay

Quote from: NE2 on March 01, 2015, 11:55:28 AM
Quote from: ixnay on March 01, 2015, 11:45:08 AM

Ixnay, Youngstown is a complete ooplay...?

Messrs. Rand and McNally show the U.S. 62 leg as a standard dual carriage way in their 2015 atlas which is the basis of my Youngstown assumption (though it looks like controlled access on Google satellite).  Better tell R-McN to make that stretch limited access blue.

QuoteAkron and Cleveland have them.

Is Akron's inner belt OH 8, I-76/77, and OH 59?

As for Cleveland, OH 2 and I-90 look more like a horseshoe than a belt.

ixnay

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.