News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Virginia Smart Road in Blacksburg

Started by cpzilliacus, January 11, 2015, 06:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Laura and I found out that the Smart Road has an open house every spring.

No date (yet), but I spoke with a staff person who said she will e-mail me when she knows the date.

I am not suggesting (at this time) that there be a road meet there, but just wanted to put  it out there.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

hbelkins

I have long felt that Blacksburg/Christiansburg would be a good place for a meet, if we could get a Smart Road tour. There are some pretty complex interchanges along the US 460 bypass, and the last time I was in downtown Christiansburg, lots of old signs (cutouts and unisigns). Plus, it would be another chance to visit with Michael Summa, since that's his home area nowadays. Bruce Harper from the MTR days of yore may also still be in the area; I had lunch with him and Rush Wickes when I attended a week-long training class on the campus of Virginia Tech 12 years ago and he was on the VPI staff.

That's a very easy (and scenic) drive for me, and I could probably work it out to attend.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

74/171FAN

To start, I am currently not living in the area at this point.

I would have to wait and see if I could make it out there.  Also the New River Bridge on VA 114 has been completed plus they are widening more of VA 114 by the New River Valley Mall (including a bridge for the expanded Huckleberry Trail).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jpi

I would be up for it since it is just over 6 hours from my house.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Takumi

I'd be interested, as long as I have the finances set aside.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Duke87

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

codyg1985

It would be a maybe for me, but I am definitely interested.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

There's plenty to see in the general area. I didn't have time to check out the US 52 construction in Bluefield, WV when I was through there last spring, but there's a huge bridge under construction over US 19. There's also all of that old and weird signage in Bluefield, VA.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

oscar

While I've been to southwest Virginia enough to snag its counties, there are many major roads there I haven't covered.  So a Smart Road meet would be a good jumping-off point for me to get out there some more. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.