News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Sorry for not beginning here

Started by route17fan, April 12, 2015, 08:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

route17fan

Greetings to all (after only 100+ posts) - my sincere apologies for not introducing myself.

My name is John Krakoff and I am Ohio born and raised. I am in the airline industry and have been for 18 years. Signs and photography of signs began for me in 1980 when my parents gave me my first Kodak instamatic camera with the clunky film cartridges (only available in 12-24-36 exposures - certainly archaic to todays' standards); and based on the looks the lady at the Photomat shanty gave me which suggested I just arrived from Pluto, I thought for sure I was the only one doing this.

In 1974 my great uncle gave me a book of signs from NY State Traffic Commission - it was the 1956 MUTCD - but I didn't know that then (I was only 4) I just knew it was a book of signs and I LOVED it! So much that I cut it up! (AIEEEEEE!!!) 10 years later I felt really bad. That's when the photographic element came in - to replace what I had cut up.

Many many photos from Ohio, PA and NY had bit the dust (prior to me discovering road related websites) - thankfully not all of them are gone, but a good many of them had been discarded. As a child, my grandparents would take me on trips to see the family in western NY in Olean, NY and as such I watched roads like NY 17 from Westfield to Olean evolve and remember NYS Thruway signs and old stuff from I-90 (OH-PA-NY) and the I-71 corridor. Ah, the days when men were men and signs were button copy.  :-D

Then I had discovered AARoads and Gribblenation on the old web here around 1997 and the hobby exploded for me. The road meets are awesome and great opportunities for meeting all of you!

I have lived in Ohio, GA, and NY and have been back in Ohio a year.

I have clinched all of NY (took 4 years and 3 cars)
OH - all 88 counties; all interstates, US routes; now working on state and ODNR routes
PA - all 62 counties; all interstates, US routes and now working on state routes
working on IN, WV, KY, MI as well
D.C.
GA - all interstates - some US routes and sporadic state
FL, AL, SC, NC, VA, TN, MD various sporadic.

Again my apologies but I am having a great time here and am learning a lot from you all. Thank you :)
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

hotdogPi

I haven't introduced myself yet, even after 2000 posts and almost 2 years.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

route17fan

SignGeek101

I guess I can still say this: Welcome from Helvetica filled Winnipeg!

route17fan

Excellent!

shame on me  :pan:

Also shame on me for not mentioning Canada - I have been in Toronto and Montreal and various points in between. I do hope to make it to the western provinces as well :)

SignGeek101

Quote from: route17fan on April 12, 2015, 11:38:05 AM
Excellent!

shame on me  :pan:

Also shame on me for not mentioning Canada - I have been in Toronto and Montreal and various points in between. I do hope to make it to the western provinces as well :)

There isn't much out here that is interesting to drive  :-D.

Driving (or clinching) the 401 in Ontario I think is more interesting.

GCrites

I would post Skid Row's "I Remember You" but that would be too sappy.

Scott5114

First C.C. Slater, now John Krakoff...good to see the rest of the MTR crew coming over! Welcome!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

route17fan

Thank you - you all are awesome!

andy3175

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

route17fan

Thank you - you all are awesome!

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 16, 2015, 04:33:50 AM
First C.C. Slater, now John Krakoff...good to see the rest of the MTR crew coming over! Welcome!
All that's missing is Calrog :p
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

6a

kkt

Quote from: US71 on April 26, 2015, 05:46:36 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 16, 2015, 04:33:50 AM
All that's missing is Calrog :p

:ded:

jakeroot

I don't think I've ever introduced myself either. I've sprinkled little bits of info here and there for those who care to piece my story together, but I've never laid out a roadmap.

roadman65

Don't worry about not introducing yourself right away.  We are a bunch here, yeah we do get crazy at times, but it is all good most of the time!  We do have our moments, but a lot of good stuff going on in here.

Welcome!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

noelbotevera

yeah, i just jumped in by creating a thread about a road trip in June.  :ded: :no:
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

formulanone

Quote from: route17fan on April 12, 2015, 08:43:05 AM
Greetings to all (after only 100+ posts) - my sincere apologies for not introducing myself.

I think I've seen you around on Flickr, so it's all good!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.