News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

India's roads are among the deadliest in the world. Can new laws tame drivers?

Started by cpzilliacus, May 23, 2015, 07:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: India's roads are among the deadliest in the world. Can new laws tame drivers?

QuoteCHENNAI, India – When it opened in 2001, the East Coast Road in southern India gave drivers a smooth, modern link to coastal resorts and an open stretch of highway to gun their engines on weekends.

QuoteThe 425-mile road also is a glaring example of why, with just 1 percent of the world's automobiles, India accounts for 15 percent of global traffic deaths, according to the World Bank.

QuoteIn 2013, there were 174 accidents on the East Coast Road, and 24 people died. So many men from the villages flanking the road have been run over by speeding vehicles and drunk drivers in the past decade that their bereaved wives are called "ECR widows."
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Chris

Although automobile ownership is low in India, many people ride mopeds and motorcycles. I don't know about India, but the motorcycle fatality rate per 1 billion kilometers is 38 times higher than the passenger car fatality rate in the Netherlands.

iBallasticwolf2

DISCLAIMER: Ressurecting a thread

Well the problem here is very bad drivers.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

JakeFromNewEngland

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on June 05, 2015, 06:22:59 PM
DISCLAIMER: Ressurecting a thread

Well the problem here is very bad drivers.

Compared to your recent 6 year bump, this isn't bad.

nexus73

If we had a Star Trek replicator, I'd give everyone in India and Pakistan a Dodge Hellcat.  That'll take care of them without the fallout which comes from the use of nukes...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.