News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

1 killed, 4 injured in South China expressway ramp collapse

Started by lordsutch, June 21, 2015, 01:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordsutch

Story here. The bridge that collapsed was apparently built 10 years ago.

SignGeek101

Oops. A new bridge such as this? Sub par concrete or materials perhaps. Someone should be held accountable.

jakeroot

mgk920

From what I've seen of chatter regarding this, there were four big-rig trucks that were each about 2.5 times their legal weight on it at the same time.

Mike

jakeroot

Quote from: mgk920 on June 22, 2015, 03:48:24 AM
From what I've seen of chatter regarding this, there were four big-rig trucks that were each about 2.5 times their legal weight on it at the same time.

Mike

Sounds like Asia:

cpzilliacus

This generated a long thread on Freeway Jim on Facebook. 

What is lacking in China (and probably some other Asian nations) is truck weight enforcement.  That would prevent a lot of this sort of dangerous and damaging and illegal behavior. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

bing101

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 23, 2015, 10:07:16 AM
This generated a long thread on Freeway Jim on Facebook. 

What is lacking in China (and probably some other Asian nations) is truck weight enforcement.  That would prevent a lot of this sort of dangerous and damaging and illegal behavior.

Well in the freewayjim posts there were fears that here in the USA we might have some soul searching to do if something like that happened in the USA.

Duke87

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 23, 2015, 10:07:16 AM

Indeed. Anything will collapse if you put enough weight on it.

Shoddy construction certainly does happen in China, but appears to not be the problem here.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

iBallasticwolf2

"Made in China"

Although I would guess that the road built was of decent quality. As others said it is most likely due to the trucks carrying too much weight.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Chris

Quote from: Duke87 on July 20, 2015, 11:20:19 PMShoddy construction certainly does happen in China, but appears to not be the problem here.

From what I've read, shoddy construction practices seems to happen mostly with municipal infrastructure. Practically all expressways are toll roads, many of which already operate at a loss, so they don't want to spend money every year to reconstruct collapsed bridges.

Then there's also the 'age' problem. The first generation of expressways in China, built before 2000, had less optimal design standards, and perhaps some lower construction quality as well. While a 1990s freeway seems young to us, these are old by Chinese standards.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.