News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What is up with I-366?

Started by iBallasticwolf2, July 29, 2015, 06:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: Takumi on July 30, 2015, 06:58:32 PM
He was also oddly obsessed with repealing night speed limits in Montana.

And everywhere else. And then he didn't understand why anyone might drive slower than the posted speed limit at night.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Zeffy

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 30, 2015, 09:04:25 AM
No, ethanman62187 is from Manassas.

Maybe he just liked the Heat. I remember somehow some way finding his Twitter account and thinking "oh god what have I found".
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Zeffy on July 30, 2015, 09:22:59 PM

Maybe he just liked the Heat. I remember somehow some way finding his Twitter account and thinking "oh god what have I found".

I kind of wonder if I've found his twitter account. https://twitter.com/Ethanmansell?lang=en

I'm tempted to think this is the person.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Zeffy

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 30, 2015, 09:26:57 PM
I kind of wonder if I've found his twitter account. https://twitter.com/Ethanmansell?lang=en

It's not. He would be 16 years old now assuming his forum age was correct, and the kid on that account looks no older than 14. Plus, the locations don't add up. I seriously don't remember how I found it, but I was 99% positive it was him...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Takumi

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 30, 2015, 06:59:31 PM
Quote from: US 41 on July 30, 2015, 03:08:16 PM
Quote from: sr641 on May 10, 2012, 08:32:47 PM

I just built a city out of wood so I can drive my cars on it.

:-D This comment is by far the best. It's like what are you, 5 years old?

Considering what ethanman did managed to get him banned sr641 was probably banned. Could one of the mods tell me if I'm correct or not?
I'm not a mod, but yes, he was.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=6356.100

It isn't. I think his Twitter was the same username as it was here.

I don't know why I've kept up with all this either :-D
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman65

Send him a tweet and ask him if he has driven I-366 yet.  By now he is old enough to drive (scary thought) but in Virginia and any other state besides NJ and NYC (as the rest of NY is 16) has the 16 driving age.

If he answers you then he is him.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

iBallasticwolf2

[/quote]

I'm not trying to stalk but I think I've found his account.
https://twitter.com/search?q=ethanman62187&src=typd&lang=en

It looks like his account is protected or something.

Takumi

Quote from: roadman65 on July 30, 2015, 07:22:42 PM
Was not one of the guys who got banned also called blawp on MTR, but posted as FederalRoute1 or something?  I remember that the federal route guy tried to start a thread, and one of the mods went ballistic and omitting his posts right away.

I later heard from Alex that he was blawp in disguise and that the mod was doing a service to us as he was a big troll on MTR.
He came back another time, as "Nate Here!" and all but one of his posts were deleted.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman65

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 30, 2015, 09:37:19 PM

[/quote]

I'm not trying to stalk but I think I've found his account.
https://twitter.com/search?q=ethanman62187&src=typd&lang=en

It looks like his account is protected or something.
[/quote] It looks like his MO.  Someone thought while on here he was from Miami and he talks about it on that twitter account. [/quote]

He might actually believe he is from Miami for all we know.

Sheryl Crowe

Duke87

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 30, 2015, 07:00:49 PM
While on the subject of banned trolls, why is V'Ger banned? What did he do?

V'Ger is basically the Brian Jones of the AARoads forum. He was part of the original admin group but got kicked out of the band because he had issues and couldn't get along with everyone else.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

briantroutman

Quote from: Duke87 on July 30, 2015, 10:10:54 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on July 30, 2015, 07:00:49 PM
While on the subject of banned trolls, why is V'Ger banned? What did he do?

V'Ger is basically the Brian Jones of the AARoads forum. He was part of the original admin group but got kicked out of the band because he had issues and couldn't get along with everyone else.

I've long wondered about V'Ger but didn't think the question worthy of its own thread. His posts have come up a number of times when searching on various topics, and they've always seemed on-topic and friendly–lots of "Thanks for that pic!"  and the like. No snark, no ad hominem attacks on other posters. Unless he had some kind of last-minute meltdown that was subsequently purged from the records, I haven't seen the slightest trace of "couldn't get along" .

corco

He basically had a last-minute meltdown.

The forum was also rebooted after he left (he had more power than any individual admin has now- he was essentially THE admin, with Alex having admin rights too, but not really being active in the forum), so a lot of the random junk (probably 75%? of all his posts) was removed. Since he had nearly unilateral decision making ability, the forum reflected exactly what he wanted and nothing else.

He was an odd dude- insisted that a whole bunch of off-topic shit be posted (Voyager's Cosmic B-bar, anyone?), but didn't think there was a need to have a forum for roadmeets. He wanted to do random things like "Poster of the Month" and made a bunch of random people mods.

This forum really wasn't geared to attract the mainstream road enthusiast crowd (which was still at MTR, but evidently ready for a new venue)  until after he left. People were weary of him for a while, and then he just kind of went off the deep end.

1995hoo

Quote from: Zeffy on July 30, 2015, 09:29:39 PM

It's not. He would be 16 years old now assuming his forum age was correct, and the kid on that account looks no older than 14. Plus, the locations don't add up. I seriously don't remember how I found it, but I was 99% positive it was him...

I do not remember how I found this out, but his name is Ethan Cua and he is indeed from Manassas, Virginia. I think I'd seen some of his postings on some other local sites, including something in response to a news article where he said something about making Route 28 an Interstate (which obviously confirmed for me who it was). He surfaced under his real name on Dr. Gridlock's blog at the Washington Post sometime within the past year, but when I asked him if he was ethanman62187 he never answered.

On the other hand, though, in the course of typing this post I got the urge to do a Google search for "Ethan Cua Interstate 366." Look what the first result turned up (scroll down the page). So I guess he has some sort of connection to Miami, but talk about a clueless question:

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2014-09-22/news/fl-miami-traffic-turnbell-92214-20140922_1_express-lanes-drivers-fume-sunsentinel-com-concreteideas
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

briantroutman

Quote from: corco on July 30, 2015, 10:44:26 PM

Thanks for the info. The situation makes more sense in that context.

roadman65

Ethanman8675309 strikes again.  Yes 1995 I read his post. That's him no doubt about it!

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

(Voyager's Cosmic B-bar, anyone?)

Why...oh why...did my brain waste space remembering that title?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kurumi

I remember making a really dumb image macro for a memorable blawp thread: http://www.memes.com/meme/644396
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Alex

Quote from: Zeffy on July 30, 2015, 08:29:54 AM
Even more ridiculous is the fact I believe he was from Florida (Miami?) but he preached about VA 28 like he did.

You are thinking of another kid, "I95." He did something to piss Jake off and was later banned.

US 41

So can anyone explain this? It was started by someone named SF Lights. I'm thinking it might really be V'Ger.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.transport.road/FZsTxDjYMbk
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

froggie

vdeane

The forum was also rebooted after he left (he had more power than any individual admin has now- he was essentially THE admin, with Alex having admin rights too, but not really being active in the forum), so a lot of the random junk (probably 75%? of all his posts) was removed. Since he had nearly unilateral decision making ability, the forum reflected exactly what he wanted and nothing else.

He was an odd dude- insisted that a whole bunch of off-topic shit be posted (Voyager's Cosmic B-bar, anyone?), but didn't think there was a need to have a forum for roadmeets. He wanted to do random things like "Poster of the Month" and made a bunch of random people mods.

This forum really wasn't geared to attract the mainstream road enthusiast crowd (which was still at MTR, but evidently ready for a new venue)  until after he left. People were weary of him for a while, and then he just kind of went off the deep end.
Yeah, numerous threads got deleted, including entire forums, such as the Forum Games forum (home to such threads as "Guess the Highway", which featured pictures of highways with all identifying features (such as signage text) removed and people would try to guess where it was).  It was quite a different time.  V'Ger also brought in a few of his friends (who left/were banned after the meltdown); the forum was basically their playground for the first few months until the meltdown (which involved V'Ger and Alex banning each other and database theft/sabotage and a short-lived fork of the forum on V'Ger's own domain name).

I'm still trying to remember what "Voyager's Cosmic B-bar" was about; I remember the title, but not much else.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: US 41 on July 31, 2015, 10:37:23 AM
So can anyone explain this? It was started by someone named SF Lights. I'm thinking it might really be V'Ger.

Looks like the message was deleted.

roadman65

Yes it was.  For the good of this forum.  Plus it served its purpose, let it rest in peace and lets move on.

Sheryl Crowe

Alex

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 31, 2015, 01:37:35 PM
Quote from: US 41 on July 31, 2015, 10:37:23 AM

Looks like the message was deleted.

Froggie already answered the question.

Quote from: froggie on July 31, 2015, 11:01:19 AM
Yes, SF Lights = V'Ger.

To further elaborate (again), it was a meltdown by V'ger about the forum. He deleted my account and Jakes then briefly started his own. The forum was subsequently taken offline until the Scotts helped restore it. When it was, Jake was an admin and removed the bulk of what V'ger had previously posted.

What more do you want to know about something that happened six years ago?

hbelkins

Why do I not remember anything blawp ever posted, either here or on MTR?

Also, there's a thread that pops up every now and then that was started by Real Life Guitar Hero, who appears to not be a member anymore. Who was that and what happened to them?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.