News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-90 rebuilding and widening

Started by bahnburner, September 08, 2015, 10:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

^^ Won't last.  They're there for a bit, & it's back to business as usual.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Revive 755

Google Maps has updated their imagery for at least parts of Chicagoland. I-90 can be viewed in its mostly-complete state in Cook County around Schaumburg.

johndoe780

hobsini2

Some of the "smart road" boards have already been in use. I was on 90 on Wednesday and they had the left shoulder lane marked with either a red X or Pace Buse Lane on the boards. The travel time boards on the right have been used for over a month now.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

I-39

What is the status on the Barrington EB exit ramp and the Roselle WB entrance ramp?

Brandon

1. Open.  2. Not yet started.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Revive 755

^ I thought the eastbound exit to Barrington had some paving left to do but was getting close to done?

I-39

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 29, 2017, 10:17:46 AM
^ I thought the eastbound exit to Barrington had some paving left to do but was getting close to done?

I can't tell since the Live Images picture is out of date. And wasn't there still some paving left to do on the actual widening of Barrington Road as well?

Revive 755

Quote from: I-39 on July 29, 2017, 10:21:48 AM
And wasn't there still some paving left to do on the actual widening of Barrington Road as well?

Paving and installation of the permanent traffic signals at Central Road and Hassell Road IIRC.

EDIT:  There still appears to be a small portion of the eastbound exit that needs the concrete poured, and a decent amount of barrier wall needs to be finished along either part of the ramp and/or the deceleration lane (hard to tell which part with the ramp blocked by a temp barrier).

Revive 755

As of today at least some of the smart road gantries are displaying a red X over the "bus lane" part of the inner shoulders, and four magenta dots in the corners of the smaller displays over the right side shoulder.

johndoe780

Taking I-90 a lot lately, traffic going west is pretty smooth from the Kennedy but there's a choke point from where I-290 merges on right before Roselle rd and traffic dips down to 30-40 mph in all lanes during afternoon rush  hour

In the morning traffic there's another choke point going westward with cars getting stuck going 294 north.

Other than that, looks good. The narrow shoulder lanes under 294 looks cheap? Not sure what to exactly call it though.

ET21

Quote from: johndoe780 on August 30, 2017, 01:05:12 AM
Taking I-90 a lot lately, traffic going west is pretty smooth from the Kennedy but there's a choke point from where I-290 merges on right before Roselle rd and traffic dips down to 30-40 mph in all lanes during afternoon rush  hour

In the morning traffic there's another choke point going westward with cars getting stuck going 294 north.

Other than that, looks good. The narrow shoulder lanes under 294 looks cheap? Not sure what to exactly call it though.

I have a feeling that will be resolved when they finish the Cumberland fly-over. The 294 north ramp needs something done, because that chokes traffic northbound on 294 at the merge to Touhy
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

johndoe780

Quote from: ET21 on August 30, 2017, 10:13:12 AM
Quote from: johndoe780 on August 30, 2017, 01:05:12 AM

I have a feeling that will be resolved when they finish the Cumberland fly-over. The 294 north ramp needs something done, because that chokes traffic northbound on 294 at the merge to Touhy

Needs a flyover

Joe The Dragon

A flyover to the 4th level will be steep.

Any ways the loop ramp can do better if made into an add a lane and have an add a lane from the other I-90 ramp.

johndoe780

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on August 30, 2017, 11:52:07 PM

Any ways the loop ramp can do better if made into an add a lane and have an add a lane from the other I-90 ramp.

If I'm not mistaken, Michigan DOT actually made southfield expressway and I-96 interchange flyovers pretty damn high.

Revive 755

Quote from: johndoe780 on August 31, 2017, 01:17:10 AM

If I'm not mistaken, Michigan DOT actually made southfield expressway and I-96 interchange flyovers pretty damn high.

Assuming I'm looking at the correct interchange, there is not an airport near to the I-96/Southfield Expressway interchange.  The most I would expect the interchange to get would be a larger radii loop ramp, or some sort of turbine/u-ramp design.

Brandon

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 31, 2017, 08:23:43 PM

Assuming I'm looking at the correct interchange, there is not an airport near to the I-96/Southfield Expressway interchange.  The most I would expect the interchange to get would be a larger radii loop ramp, or some sort of turbine/u-ramp design.

It's not that close to O'Hare.  ISTHA even has a stack interchange right at the edge of O'Hare with the I-90/294 interchange.  There is no reason the Schaumburg I-90/290 one could not be a 4 level stack.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Brandon on September 01, 2017, 06:10:47 AM
Quote from: Revive 755 on August 31, 2017, 08:23:43 PM

It's not that close to O'Hare.  ISTHA even has a stack interchange right at the edge of O'Hare with the I-90/294 interchange.  There is no reason the Schaumburg I-90/290 one could not be a 4 level stack.
I was talking about I-90/I-294/I-190

Rick Powell

Barrington Road full interchange was supposed to open yesterday. Did it?

ET21

Quote from: Rick Powell on September 01, 2017, 12:51:07 PM

Looks like it did, official announcement and was mentioned on traffic reports yesterday
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

ChiMilNet

Quote from: ET21 on September 01, 2017, 04:53:38 PM
Quote from: Rick Powell on September 01, 2017, 12:51:07 PM

Looks like it did, official announcement and was mentioned on traffic reports yesterday

It's about time! The contractor in charge of that part of the project really dropped the ball, and I hear that they still have a bit of work to do on Barrington Road itself! Oh well, better late than never, and nice that there will be a full interchange there! Question, ANY news on the WB Roselle Road Onramp? Or is Cook County totally asleep at the wheel there?

Revive 755

Quote from: ChiMilNet on September 02, 2017, 04:33:02 PM
Question, ANY news on the WB Roselle Road Onramp? Or is Cook County totally asleep at the wheel there?

Only in the utility relocation stage still.  Next piece of news I'd expect would be that the project has been officially delayed until the 2018 construction season.

johndoe780

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Revive 755 on September 04, 2017, 09:37:14 PM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on September 02, 2017, 04:33:02 PM
Question, ANY news on the WB Roselle Road Onramp? Or is Cook County totally asleep at the wheel there?

Only in the utility relocation stage still.  Next piece of news I'd expect would be that the project has been officially delayed until the 2018 construction season.

So, basically, Cook County totally is asleep at the wheel. I imagine, behind the scenes, the tollway is pretty annoyed with them on this. I wonder if the ISTHA might eventually just take the lead on this, and force Cook County to pay them back or whatever. It shouldn't take this long to build a darn ramp!

JREwing78

Some updates from north of the border:

- Expansion work on NBD I-39/90 between Hart Rd in Beloit (just north of I-43) and US-14 in Janesville has begun. Two way traffic is in the SBD carriageway while work to rip up and replace the NBD begins. Work will continue through Spring 2020 on this segment, with traffic switching over to the NBD carriageway in late 2018 or early 2019.

- Work will wrap up this fall on the NBD carriageway between Newville and E. Church Rd (north of the Hwy 51 Stoughton exit); traffic will switch over to the NBD side while work occurs on the SBD side through 2018.

- Widening work on NBD I-39/90 from E. Church Rd to just south of the Hwy 12/18 interchange will start and run through 2018. SBD gets its turn in 2020.

- In Beloit, the I-43/Hwy 81 interchange begins reconstruction in Summer 2019, while related roadwork starts next summer and runs through Fall 2022.

North segment: https://projects.511wi.gov/i-39-90/wp-content/uploads/sites/145/North-Segment-Construction-Schedule.pdf corrected --sso
Central segment: https://projects.511wi.gov/i-39-90/wp-content/uploads/sites/145/Central-Segment-Construction-Schedule.pdf
South segment: https://projects.511wi.gov/i-39-90/wp-content/uploads/sites/145/South-Segment-Construction-Schedule.pdf

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.