News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Why no Fargo loop/bypass?

Started by discochris, September 29, 2015, 01:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

discochris

Sioux Falls has I-229. Why has there never been a loop/bypass built in the Fargo-Moorhead area? Does overland flooding have anything to do with it?

roadman65

Probably NIMBY ism. Somebody did not want a bypass in their neighborhood is usually the main reason.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

No need.  Both 94 and 29 avoid the downtown Fargo/Moorhead area and function just fine, especially after 29 was widened/improved about 10 years ago.

SD Mapman

Quote from: froggie on September 29, 2015, 08:26:51 AM
No need.  Both 94 and 29 avoid the downtown Fargo/Moorhead area and function just fine, especially after 29 was widened/improved about 10 years ago.
Well, both 90 and 29 avoid downtown Sioux Falls, but 229 is still there. Maybe it's a South Dakota vs. North Dakota thing, like ND didn't want to spend more money on interstates but SD did or something.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Brandon

Fargo's only 108,000 in population, and the times I've been through there, I-29 and I-94 seem to be more than adequate.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

discochris

Quote from: Brandon on September 29, 2015, 01:32:58 PM
Fargo's only 108,000 in population, and the times I've been through there, I-29 and I-94 seem to be more than adequate.

The metro area is 228,000. Sioux Falls metro is 248,000.
Pretty similar.

Revive 755

Two random guesses:

1) South Dakota had better seated politicians in Congress when interstate mileage was being assigned?

2) Sioux Falls was growing faster than Fargo around 1950, and more likely to need a bypass.  Using historical population data from Wikipedia:
              Fargo                                   Sioux Falls
1930       28,619                                  33,362
1940       32,580                                  40,832
1950       38,256                                  52,969
1960       46,662                                  65,466

EDIT:  I think the better question may be why did Sioux Falls get a bypass, while many larger cities in other states didn't get a bypass or a spur?                               

kkt

Quote from: Revive 755 on September 29, 2015, 05:59:49 PM
EDIT:  I think the better question may be why did Sioux Falls get a bypass, while many larger cities in other states didn't get a bypass or a spur?                               

Hmm.  U.S. Senator Mundt from S.D. was on the Senate Appropriations Committee and its Public Works Subcommittee from 1953-1971.  Just a coincidence, I'm sure.

Alex

Two random guesses:

1) South Dakota had better seated politicians in Congress when interstate mileage was being assigned?

2) Sioux Falls was growing faster than Fargo around 1950, and more likely to need a bypass.  Using historical population data from Wikipedia:
              Fargo                                   Sioux Falls
1930       28,619                                  33,362
1940       32,580                                  40,832
1950       38,256                                  52,969
1960       46,662                                  65,466

The alignment of I-29 early on was shown along what was later redesignated as I-229 as well. Could this have played with the eventual creation of the Sioux Falls freeway loop?

Sioux Falls inset from the 1960 Rand

Thinking of Fargo, we did encounter some significant peak hour traffic the morning we left North Fargo. Some back-ups were occurring on the ramps to I-29 north from both directions of I-94. That new hospital and the area growth to the southwest will surely increase commuter traffic along I-94 in the long run. Not saying they need a bypass, but there is certainly land on the south side of the city for it currently, but suburban expansion is definitely going to continue.

Southbound at Exit 60 in 2007:

The same location in 2013

Rothman

I once was upgraded to first class on a flight due to some inconvenience I experienced.  I ended up sitting next to a guy wearing a white suit and a matching white ten-gallon hat.  I was living in Wisconsin at the time and he asked me if I had ever been to Fargo.  I said that I hadn't.  He said, "Well, you need to go" and with a twinkle in his eye, added, "It's amazing!"

I asked why, never having heard "Fargo" and "amazing" in the same sentence.

He paused for dramatic effect and then said, "It's perfectly flat!"

No need for a beltway there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SD Mapman

Quote from: kkt on September 29, 2015, 07:37:22 PM

Hmm.  U.S. Senator Mundt from S.D. was on the Senate Appropriations Committee and its Public Works Subcommittee from 1953-1971.  Just a coincidence, I'm sure.
That sounds like something a South Dakota politician would do.

Also, why did Rapid City get a spur and other larger cities didn't? (I love I-190, by the way)

Quote from: Rothman on September 29, 2015, 08:24:20 PM

Just because it's flat doesn't mean there isn't congestion.

Also, maybe Sioux Falls got a bypass because traffic coming north on I-29 might want to head east to MN and places beyond (and vice versa). I don't think that really applies to Fargo.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

The High Plains Traveler

It was interesting to me that the EB I-94 control city at the I-29 interchange at Fargo is...Fargo. Admittedly, I-29 runs up the west side of most of the Fargo metro area, but I would have thought this to be an appropriate place to use a Minnesota location such as Minneapolis.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Rothman

Quote from: SD Mapman on September 29, 2015, 09:38:56 PM

Quote from: Rothman on September 29, 2015, 08:24:20 PM

Just because it's flat doesn't mean there isn't congestion.

The point was that because its flatness is the only amazing thing about Fargo that it doesn't have anything to cause congestion (i.e., to draw people there).  And yes, I've since visited that flat city. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

oscar

Also, maybe Sioux Falls got a bypass because traffic coming north on I-29 might want to head east to MN and places beyond (and vice versa). I don't think that really applies to Fargo.

Fargo probably has significant traffic coming in from the north (such as from Grand Forks or Winnipeg) that makes the turn southeast on I-94.

I've never experienced enough congestion in Fargo (multiple trips, most recent this July) to wonder why there wasn't a bypass. It might be that the need for bypasses in both cities was borderline, with North Dakota deciding to improve I-29 and I-94 if and when needed, rather than plan or build a bypass to anticipate future traffic volumes. Roughly similar situations, but perhaps different approaches by different DOTs.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

froggie

QuoteFargo probably has significant traffic coming in from the north (such as from Grand Forks or Winnipeg) that makes the turn southeast on I-94.

According to 2015 NDDOT traffic counts, there is roughly 21K vpd (~2,200 of them trucks) that take the ramps between 94 East and 29 North.  However, since I-29 thins down to less than 16K vpd total north of Exit 69, this suggests to me that much (if not most) of that 29-94 traffic is local in nature.

A.J. Bertin

The timing of this thread is particularly appropriate for me because I was just in Fargo a few nights ago and wondered the same thing about why there's no loop around the metro area. The explanations above seem to make sense.

I will say, however, that I kinda liked Fargo. It's a college town that reminded me a bit of a less-exciting version of Ann Arbor, Michigan. I'd like to visit Fargo again one day.

One fun little tidbit... it was my first time in North Dakota, and I was about to enter Minnesota for the first time as well. My first time entering Minnesota was actually on foot. My partner and I were walking around downtown and we decided to cross the U.S. 10/BL 94 bridge into Moorhead before turning around and walking back to our car.
-A.J. from Michigan

discochris

I lived in Fargo-Moorhead 20 years ago in college, and I wondered about it then, and it's much larger now (which is why I asked the question.)  Fargo is a very nice city, if you can stand the weather, which can be brutal.

Upon thinking more about about it, I can think of two reasons why there might be no bypass.

1. If a bypass were built, where would it go? My thought would be to the north to avoid F-M on the way to Grand Forks and Winnipeg from the Twin Cities. This would involve MNDOT more than North Dakota, and that's probably a big reason why it wouldn't happen. What would that serve for Minnesota? Sioux Falls is much farther from the border so it's a one-state issue.

2. Sioux Falls probably makes a little more sense, in that to the south, Sioux City isn't that far, followed by Omaha, St. Joseph and KC.  There probably is considerably more traffic SB out of Sioux Falls than in any direction out of Fargo (except maybe EB).

Henry

I think Froggie had an idea for an I-629 in this area some time ago. But in any case, I agree that it's not needed at this point.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

froggie

A long time ago, yes, but that was purely fictional.

SD Mapman

Quote from: oscar on September 29, 2015, 10:22:50 PM

Fargo probably has significant traffic coming in from the north (such as from Grand Forks or Winnipeg) that makes the turn southeast on I-94.

That would make the bypass go through MN, and cooperation between states is really hard to get going.

noelbotevera

Quote from: discochris on September 29, 2015, 11:13:08 PM
I lived in Fargo-Moorhead 20 years ago in college, and I wondered about it then, and it's much larger now (which is why I asked the question.)  Fargo is a very nice city, if you can stand the weather, which can be brutal.

Upon thinking more about about it, I can think of two reasons why there might be no bypass.

1. If a bypass were built, where would it go? My thought would be to the north to avoid F-M on the way to Grand Forks and Winnipeg from the Twin Cities. This would involve MNDOT more than North Dakota, and that's probably a big reason why it wouldn't happen. What would that serve for Minnesota? Sioux Falls is much farther from the border so it's a one-state issue.

2. Sioux Falls probably makes a little more sense, in that to the south, Sioux City isn't that far, followed by Omaha, St. Joseph and KC.  There probably is considerably more traffic SB out of Sioux Falls than in any direction out of Fargo (except maybe EB).
It's 141 or so miles south to Fargo, 190 miles to Bismarck, 70 miles to Grand Forks...need I say more?

swbrotha100

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on September 29, 2015, 10:10:55 PM
It was interesting to me that the EB I-94 control city at the I-29 interchange at Fargo is...Fargo. Admittedly, I-29 runs up the west side of most of the Fargo metro area, but I would have thought this to be an appropriate place to use a Minnesota location such as Minneapolis.

I've been there recently. That's the only time Fargo is mentioned as an EB control city for I-94 within the Fargo city limits. Every other cross street, and the SB I-29 to EB I-94 movement, all have Minneapolis as the control city.

mwb1848

I'mv very unfamiliar with this area, but it seems clear that a full 360-degree loop would be hard to justify. If you could only build a 90-degree or 180-degree bypass, where should it go? I'd assume the NE quadrant between I-29 north of town and I-94 east of town or SW and SE quadrants swinging south from I-94 west of town to I-94 east of town?

ModernDayWarrior

Quote from: mwb1848 on October 04, 2015, 02:22:32 PM
I'mv very unfamiliar with this area, but it seems clear that a full 360-degree loop would be hard to justify. If you could only build a 90-degree or 180-degree bypass, where should it go? I'd assume the NE quadrant between I-29 north of town and I-94 east of town or SW and SE quadrants swinging south from I-94 west of town to I-94 east of town?

If you could only build one quadrant, I would say NE, but it would certainly have to cross into Minnesota and who knows if the Minnesota DOT would willingly cooperate.

Then again, looking at the area and its traffic counts, I'm not even sure a quarter-loop is necessary, much less a complete 360-degree one.

M86

I've always wondered this.  And I believe it's due to state populations and projections? 

I came across something that indicates that Fargo has no desire to create any sort of loop around the city, even though they're growing. I'm too lazy to find it, but Sioux Falls is pushing ahead with the SD 100 loop.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.