News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why no Fargo loop/bypass?

Started by discochris, September 29, 2015, 01:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

If discochris wants a loop/bypass in the Fargo area, maybe he/she should build it him/herself.

mrsman

Does Fargo have traffic problems?  I imagine a city of that size would suffer negligible congetstion on its freeways, even at rush hours.

For a city like Chicago with lots of commuter and through traffic, bypasses are useful to encourgae through traffic to bypass, ensuring less traffic on radial routes.

For Fargo, what's the point?

discochris

Quote from: mrsman on November 06, 2015, 01:45:24 PM
Does Fargo have traffic problems?  I imagine a city of that size would suffer negligible congetstion on its freeways, even at rush hours.

For a city like Chicago with lots of commuter and through traffic, bypasses are useful to encourgae through traffic to bypass, ensuring less traffic on radial routes.

For Fargo, what's the point?

I don't think it's necessary really, but I was more or less contrasting it to Sioux Falls, which does have one.

SD Mapman

Quote from: mrsman on November 06, 2015, 01:45:24 PM

For North Dakota, what's the point?

FTFY
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

GMoney0805

Quote from: swbrotha100 on October 02, 2015, 01:25:10 PM
Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on September 29, 2015, 10:10:55 PM
It was interesting to me that the EB I-94 control city at the I-29 interchange at Fargo is...Fargo. Admittedly, I-29 runs up the west side of most of the Fargo metro area, but I would have thought this to be an appropriate place to use a Minnesota location such as Minneapolis.

I've been there recently. That's the only time Fargo is mentioned as an EB control city for I-94 within the Fargo city limits. Every other cross street, and the SB I-29 to EB I-94 movement, all have Minneapolis as the control city.

I live in Fargo. In summer 2017, they actually replaced that sign on NB I-29 and the EB I-94 control city is Minneapolis now. The signs that were up before were from when there was actually a gap between Fargo and West Fargo.
Interestingly enough, up until around 10 years ago, if one was going EB on I-94 headed towards I-29, the two NB control cities for I-29 were Fargo and Grand Forks. When the sign was replaced, Grand Forks became the only listing.

In addition, there has been talk of someday constructing a beltway of the Fargo-Moorhead area. The Minnesota Highway 336 east of Moorhead that connects I-94 and US-10 is the start of it. Otherwise, we have the "Metropolitan Beltline" for now, which consists of two lane roads and four-lane urban arterial roads, with a decent gap in West Fargo, and runs through Harwood north of the metro area. I actually did a project last year in college about constructing a Metro Beltway, so all very interesting to me.

Avalanchez71

Why such interest in spending hard earned tax payer money 💴 lining the pockets wth pork projects?  The area was just fine with US 10.  I-94 is more than sufficient.

SoCal Kid

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on April 08, 2019, 12:33:37 AM
Why such interest in spending hard earned tax payer money 💴 lining the pockets wth pork projects?  The area was just fine with US 10.  I-94 is more than sufficient.
I agree. Dont build it if it is not needed/no too congested
Are spurs of spurs of spurs of loops of spurs of loops a thing? ;)

GMoney0805

Quote from: SoCal Kid on April 08, 2019, 12:35:32 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on April 08, 2019, 12:33:37 AM
Why such interest in spending hard earned tax payer money lining the pockets wth pork projects?  The area was just fine with US 10.  I-94 is more than sufficient.
I agree. Dont build it if it is not needed/no too congested
Agreed. Living in Fargo now, it's fine as it is. If we were a bit closer to oil country maybe it would be necessary, but still 94 and 29 are great.

iPhone

X99

Quote from: SD Mapman on September 29, 2015, 09:38:56 PM
Also, why did Rapid City get a spur and other larger cities didn't? (I love I-190, by the way)
Rapid City wasn't on the interstate when  I-190 was created. It kind of built up towards the interstate afterward.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

GMoney0805

True. Those connectors like 190 are fantastic I think. Bismarck has one too, I-194, however it's unsigned. Same goes for I-535 in Duluth-Superior area

iPhone

M86

Is Fargo-Moorhead looking into any kind of outer higher-speed route? I think one from the western part of West Fargo to the south side of Fargo south of 52nd Ave would be a huge benefit, at least when it comes to economic growth.

Sioux Falls has SD 100 that they're building. A 55 MPH 2-3 lane roadway with interchanges at a couple of places (Benson Road and 57th St.) and traffic signals every mile that parallels I-229 to the south and east.

Fargo seems to have great growth, but a similar roadway could only encourage that.

froggie

^ The regional MPO has a full-loop at-grade arterial on the books, though there are still questions on where it will cross the river on the south side.  MN 336 is the eastern part of this loop.

GMoney0805

There have been a few options discussed including 70th Avenue South and 76th Avenue South. A new south side river crossing is what has been emphasized to the best of my knowledge, in addition to a new I-29/76th Avenue South interchange. A direct river crossing over to Horace is needed in my opinion. As for the loop I recall seeing 55 MPH actually too.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.