This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: kkt on January 19, 2017, 01:33:43 PM
Quote from: vdeane on January 18, 2017, 05:52:54 PM
I believe the actual southernmost point is in American Samoa (which I think is the only part of the US south of the equator, but I don't know the locations of all the guano islands).

If you're going to count territories, how about Amundsen-Scott Station?
I don't think that would count. US reserves right to claim Antarctic territories, but no such claim is actually made. I suspect station would be considered similar to ships - homeland laws are applied to people and property, but not territory. 

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

Quote from: kalvado on January 19, 2017, 03:02:49 PM
I believe the actual southernmost point is in American Samoa (which I think is the only part of the US south of the equator, but I don't know the locations of all the guano islands).

I don't think that would count. US reserves right to claim Antarctic territories, but no such claim is actually made. I suspect station would be considered similar to ships - homeland laws are applied to people and property, but not territory. 

So if one of the researchers wallops another researcher over the head in a rage and kills them, under what laws is the attacker prosecuted?

kalvado

Quote from: kkt on January 19, 2017, 04:59:13 PM
Quote from: kalvado on January 19, 2017, 03:02:49 PM

So if one of the researchers wallops another researcher over the head in a rage and kills them, under what laws is the attacker prosecuted?
That is a messy question, actually. As far as I understand, if two US researchers are involved and that happened on US base, US laws should work and FBI would handle the case.
If US researcher hits Norwegian guy on Russian station in Australian claim zone.....  Most likely flag jurisdiction would apply - law of the country which operates the station. Same thing works on ships, for example. And most likely in case of Russian Vostok station,  Australia would make an effort to set precedent of enforcing their laws within the claim zone.
And  I have hard time thinking about Panama dealing  with a crime on Carnival cruise ship operating Miami-Bahamas with several US citizens involved - FBI would be the first in lline: https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/news/testimony/crimes-against-americans-on-cruise-ships 

sparker

Quote from: doorknob60 on January 12, 2017, 06:00:22 PM
Boise has a larger city population than Salt Lake City (216,282 vs. 191,180).

Not surprising; most of the growth in the SLC area has occurred in the various suburbs arrayed, for the most part, along I-15 to the north and south of the central city and which are mostly incorporated cities in their own right.  The fact that SLC is more or less hemmed in by its own suburbs in the most readily developed areas keeps the expansion of the central city in check.  Boise, on the other hand, "anchors" the east side of the "Treasure Valley" extended metro area and has had room to expand its own city limits without encroaching on other chartered jurisdictions, so it is more free to expand to accommodate an enlarged population.  The other cities in the region featuring sizeable populations (Nampa, Caldwell, etc.) are several miles to the west; the only significant city adjacent to Boise, Meridian, does occupy a space close to the west side of Boise -- but the capital city still has room to expand south and east -- and even a bit north into the foothills.  IIRC, projections show incorporated Boise exceeding 300K population by 2025. 

Rothman

SLC has also experienced an economic hollowing of its downtown area and areas south of downtown.  The Mormons tried to come to the rescue by building a mall near Temple Square a few years back.  Not sure if the mall has been successful or is still being propped up.

For as long as I've been alive, LDS Church leaders have spoken romantically of the Salt Lake Valley -- things like, "...and on that wonderful 24th day in July 1847, the pioneers entered this beautiful, fertile valley."  I think the idea of the valley being beautiful has caused a lot of people to simply not recognize the sprawl and how ugly the valley has become (my father also jokes now whenever someone refers to Point of the Mountain that there really isn't a point anymore now that it's been dug out).  Throw in the inversions and horrific air quality which pediatricians are now saying is so bad that people should really consider it in their decisions to have children (http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref=/sltrib/news/55825755-78/pollution-utah-birth-studies.html.csp). 

Anyway, all I'm saying is that the population growth in Utah does equal sprawl and Utah is now living with the consequences of waiting to consider urban planning until after the fact, no matter how rosy their rosy-colored glasses are.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bing101

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalawao_County,_Hawaii

The smallest populated county in the United states is Kalawao County, Hawaii and has only 89 people.

kphoger

Quote from: bing101 on January 20, 2017, 02:20:23 PM

The smallest populated county in the United states is Kalawao County, Hawaii and has only 89 people.

What point of conventional wisdom does that defy?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on January 20, 2017, 03:54:15 PM

Maybe this should tell us that leprosy is very treatable today, so isolating those infected (that is 20-40 people annually in US) at the most distant point is a thing of a past? And that county is just a former leprosy settlement. Not geographical common wisdom, but probably average person doesn't think about leprosy at all these days

wxfree

Buzzfeed has a list of some pretty good ones.  The one that most impressed me is the first one.  The closest U.S. state to Africa is ... Maine.  Florida is more than 900 miles further away.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/terripous/mind-blowing-geography-facts-thatll-change-how-you-think
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

freebrickproductions

Quote from: wxfree on January 21, 2017, 01:51:37 AM
The closest U.S. state to Africa is ... Maine.  Florida is more than 900 miles further away.
That actually makes sense when you think about it for a bit, mostly due to the curvature of the earth.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

english si

Or the eastward direction of the east coast and that Africa gets as far north as North Carolina.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: wxfree on January 21, 2017, 01:51:37 AMThe closest U.S. state to Africa is ... Maine.  Florida is more than 900 miles further away.

I already somehow pointed that out (The Canary Islands are off the African coast):
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 03, 2015, 09:32:24 AMWhat is mind-blogging, is that Hamlin ME is also the closest point of the US to the Canary Islands, despite them being located across the ocean from Florida.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on January 20, 2017, 03:54:15 PM

Used to be Loving County, TX, but the drilling boom raised its population a tad.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bing101

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise,_Nevada

Paradise, NV its officially in Clark County, NV Jurisdiction but is usually mistaken as a Las Vegas city district but not even in Las Vegas city territory.

It's land area is approximately the same size as San Francisco and has 200k people.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=naDCCW5TSpU

bing101

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._municipalities_in_multiple_counties

Wow This defies logic for me that in many states in the United states some cities are allowed to be in multiple counties not just New York or Atlanta though.

7/8

Quote from: bing101 on May 22, 2017, 06:58:27 PM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._municipalities_in_multiple_counties

Wow This defies logic for me that in many states in the United states some cities are allowed to be in multiple counties not just New York or Atlanta though.

And then there's Lloydminster, which is a single city in both Alberta and Saskatchewan (pretty cool).

SP Cook

Wow This defies logic for me that in many states in the United states some cities are allowed to be in multiple counties.

In WV it can cause some issues, as both courts/serious law enforcement and schools are operated on a county basis. 

Three of the places listed are actual cities, at least by WV standards.  Two are the county seats of one county (Wheeling for Ohio and Huntington for Cabell) and 95% or more of the population is in that one county, but the cops have to go to a much smaller town to deal with cases in the small part of the same town.  In Huntington that is the town of Wayne, which is a good half hour over bad roads.  In Wheeling the county only has on HS, which is, of course, in Wheeling, but the kids in the tiny part that is in Marshall have to bus much more than a half-hour to that county's HS.

The other case is Weirton, which is in the opposite situation, split down the middle and the county seat of neither.  Both counties have their county seats in what can only be described as wide spots in the road, north and south of Weirton.  This also places a burden on the cops and on the lawyers.

CNGL-Leudimin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._municipalities_in_multiple_counties

Leudimin's note: changed link to that of desktop version

In a similar vein there are four comarcas in my region of Aragon that cross provincial borders. All four have their seats in Huesca province and have municipalities in Zaragoza province. The most notable case is that of Murillo and Santa Eulalia de Gallego, both de iure in Zaragoza province, but just for juridic purposes, as they have the phone prefix ("area code") of Huesca, postcodes ("ZIP codes") of Huesca, and they are in a comarca that its seat is Huesca itself, thus making them de facto part of Huesca province.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Roadgeekteen

LA-Singapore was once the second longest flight behind NYC-Singapore, but there is LA-Sydney and NYC-Sydney is impossible. Source: an airfan.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

empirestate

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 23, 2017, 09:29:14 PM
LA-Singapore was once the second longest flight behind NYC-Singapore, but there is LA-Sydney and NYC-Sydney is impossible. Source: an airfan.

That actually seems to fit quite well with conventional wisdom.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: empirestate on May 24, 2017, 06:55:20 AM

That actually seems to fit quite well with conventional wisdom.
Maybe I just don't get geography.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on May 23, 2017, 11:17:40 AM
In WV it can cause some issues, as both courts/serious law enforcement and schools are operated on a county basis. 

Three of the places listed are actual cities, at least by WV standards.  Two are the county seats of one county (Wheeling for Ohio and Huntington for Cabell) and 95% or more of the population is in that one county, but the cops have to go to a much smaller town to deal with cases in the small part of the same town.  In Huntington that is the town of Wayne, which is a good half hour over bad roads.  In Wheeling the county only has on HS, which is, of course, in Wheeling, but the kids in the tiny part that is in Marshall have to bus much more than a half-hour to that county's HS.

Wayne County's whole existence puzzles me. It's not very wide, and could easily be swallowed up by Cabell, Lincoln and possibly Mingo counties, although Mingo seems to be a bit unwieldy and probably too large geographically.

I've always thought a number of West Virginia's counties were either too big or not well thought out in relation to towns.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kkt

NYC to Sydney is 16,032 km (Source airmilescalculator.com)

The longest range airliner is the Boeing 777-200LR, with a range of 17,395km (Source: http://www.aerospace-technology.com/features/feature-the-longest-range-airliners-in-the-world/), so it could make the flight BUT not with the required safety margin.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.