News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Nature Boy

Quote from: jwolfer on August 12, 2017, 07:50:45 PM
Quote from: Road Hog on August 10, 2017, 01:32:59 PM
Quote from: kalvado on August 09, 2017, 01:29:47 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 09, 2017, 01:11:25 PM
^^^

Heh....I used to find it amusing to talk about Miami in Florida and see the puzzled look people would give me when I talked about all the mines.  Usually I'd throw in "Highway 60" which added to the confusion since FL 60 isn't anywhere near Miami, FL.  I guess nobody would think a state like Arizona would have a fairly historic mining town which is also called "Miami."
Miami AZ, population 1800
Miami CA, abandoned
Miami IN, unincorporated community
Miami MS, population 175
Miami NM, unincorporated community
Miami OK, population 13500 - a seat of Ottawa county
Miami TX, population 600

Miami Indian nation gave name to many of the above; and also Miami counties in OH(population over 100k), IN(37k), KS(32k), village of New Miami OH (2500) etc

There is a reason for using city, state format...

Miami, OK is pronounced Miama. I think Miami, TX is too.
Miam-uh is how old time native Floridians called the city in Florida. My Grandparents from Alachua and Marion Counties said it that way.  Even Miami natives said it that way, back when Miami natives had Southern accents

LGMS428

When did Miami natives have Southern accents? I'm legitimately curious because my understanding of the history of South Florida is that it was't heavily settled by native Southerners and that the majority of early settlers were Northerners. 

jwolfer

Quote from: The Nature Boy on August 14, 2017, 10:00:57 AM
^^^

Heh....I used to find it amusing to talk about Miami in Florida and see the puzzled look people would give me when I talked about all the mines.  Usually I'd throw in "Highway 60" which added to the confusion since FL 60 isn't anywhere near Miami, FL.  I guess nobody would think a state like Arizona would have a fairly historic mining town which is also called "Miami."
Miami CA, abandoned
Miami MS, population 175
Miami TX, population 600

Miami Indian nation gave name to many of the above; and also Miami counties in OH(population over 100k), IN(37k), KS(32k), village of New Miami OH (2500) etc

Miam-uh is how old time native Floridians called the city in Florida. My Grandparents from Alachua and Marion Counties said it that way.  Even Miami natives said it that way, back when Miami natives had Southern accents

LGMS428

When did Miami natives have Southern accents? I'm legitimately curious because my understanding of the history of South Florida is that it was't heavily settled by native Southerners and that the majority of early settlers were Northerners.
Until the 1940s and 50s even into the 1960s.. The beaches were never really Southern.. However the inland suburbs had lots of people move in from states like Georgia for work obviously there children had Southern accents. There was always a Cuban community but that exploded after 1959. A Miami (really most of Florida) native above 60 is a rare bird indeed.

Miami was founded in 1896 so it is all very new compared to other places.. And it was never "Deep South".  North Florida and most of central Florida, even Orlando was "Deep South" until relativally recently.

LGMS428

The Nature Boy

Quote from: jwolfer on August 15, 2017, 06:56:21 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on August 14, 2017, 10:00:57 AM
^^^

Miami CA, abandoned
Miami MS, population 175
Miami TX, population 600

LGMS428

Until the 1940s and 50s even into the 1960s.. The beaches were never really Southern.. However the inland suburbs had lots of people move in from states like Georgia for work obviously there children had Southern accents. There was always a Cuban community but that exploded after 1959. A Miami (really most of Florida) native above 60 is a rare bird indeed.

Miami was founded in 1896 so it is all very new compared to other places.. And it was never "Deep South".  North Florida and most of central Florida, even Orlando was "Deep South" until relativally recently.

LGMS428

That makes sense.

The mention of Georgia reminds me of the fun fact that Atlanta is as far from Chicago as it is Miami.

chays

If you were to take a road trip from Key West, FL, to Brownsville, TX, slightly more than half of your trip's mileage would be in Florida.

CNGL-Leudimin

The West Virginia section of Appalachian Trail (fully within the state i.e. through Harpers Ferry, not counting border sections) is East of the Virginia section.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

bing101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_Nevada

Reno,NV is Nevada's third largest city but Henderson is Nevada's second largest city.

Well I would have guess Reno at first for second largest city in Nevada.

Bruce

The eclipse's path of totality passed over both Nashville, Oregon and Nashville, Tennessee. Same for Independence, Oregon and Independence, Missouri.

It also passed over Dallas, Oregon; the 2024 eclipse's path of totality will pass over Dallas, Texas.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bing101 on August 26, 2017, 12:25:38 PM

Reno,NV is Nevada's third largest city but Henderson is Nevada's second largest city.

Is henderson a large suburb of las vegas?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 27, 2017, 11:23:51 PM

Henderson has about 293,000 residents according to the 2010 census and a large suburb of Las Vegas.  Reno only has a population of 241,000 approximately during the same year. 

Speaking of Nevada interesting fact about Esmeralda County is that it has an area slightly larger than Deleware and Rhode Island combined.  That being the case Esmeralda County is the second least densely populated county in the country with about 800 residents compared to about the 2 million the combined states have.   In fact if you took Clark County out of the equation the state would only have a population density of about 8.5 which conveys how desolate the Great Basin really can be.  For comparisons sake Alaska is about 1.26 people per square mile, Wyoming is at 5.97, and Montana is at about 7.09.   Interesting to consider that the majority of Nevada had essentially died out with the mining boom associated with the Comstock Lode era before the Las Vegas area began to get big.

Another fun Nevada fact for the thread.  The ghost town of Aurora which is located in Mineral County was the original county seat of Mono County in California.  Aurora was founded in 1860 while Nevada was split off from Utah into a territory in 1861, Nevada didn't even become a state until 1864.  The boundary between both states wasn't exactly clear for long time until proper surveys took place.  I want to say Doyle in Lassen County was originally a Nevada town before switching to California?

bing101

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise,_Nevada

Paradise, NV is larger than North Las Vegas in population but North Las Vegas is listed as Nevada's 4th largest city. And Paradise is Nevada's largest unincorporated district of Clark county.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 28, 2017, 06:25:01 AM

Henderson has about 293,000 residents according to the 2010 census and a large suburb of Las Vegas.  Reno only has a population of 241,000 approximately during the same year. 

Speaking of Nevada interesting fact about Esmeralda County is that it has an area slightly larger than Deleware and Rhode Island combined.  That being the case Esmeralda County is the second least densely populated county in the country with about 800 residents compared to about the 2 million the combined states have.   In fact if you took Clark County out of the equation the state would only have a population density of about 8.5 which conveys how desolate the Great Basin really can be.  For comparisons sake Alaska is about 1.26 people per square mile, Wyoming is at 5.97, and Montana is at about 7.09.   Interesting to consider that the majority of Nevada had essentially died out with the mining boom associated with the Comstock Lode era before the Las Vegas area began to get big.

Another fun Nevada fact for the thread.  The ghost town of Aurora which is located in Mineral County was the original county seat of Mono County in California.  Aurora was founded in 1860 while Nevada was split off from Utah into a territory in 1861, Nevada didn't even become a state until 1864.  The boundary between both states wasn't exactly clear for long time until proper surveys took place.  I want to say Doyle in Lassen County was originally a Nevada town before switching to California?
Is the reno metro area big?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

You can get to all but 3 contiguous states and DC from Illinois by staying on a single route.

Alabama: US 45
Alaska: Not contiguous
Arizona: US 60
Arkansas: I-55
California: I-80
Colorado: I-70
Connecticut: US 6
Delaware: US 40
Florida: US 41
Georgia: US 41
Hawaii: Not contiguous
Idaho: I-90
Illinois: Same state
Indiana: I-90
Iowa: I-80
Kansas: I-70
Kentucky: I-24
Louisiana: I-55
Maine: None
Maryland: I-70
Massachusetts: I-90
Michigan: I-94
Minnesota: I-94
Mississippi: I-55
Missouri: I-70
Montana: I-94
Nebraska: I-80
Nevada: I-80
New Hampshire: None
New Jersey: I-80
New Mexico: US 60
New York: I-90
North Carolina: US 52
North Dakota: I-94
Ohio: I-90
Oklahoma: US 60
Oregon: US 20
Pennsylvania: I-70
Rhode Island: US 6
South Carolina: US 52
South Dakota: I-90
Tennessee: US 41
Texas: US 60
Utah: I-70
Vermont: None
Virginia: US 50
Washington: I-90
West Virginia: I-70
Wisconsin: I-90
Wyoming: I-90
DC: US 50

(Vermont is very poorly connected; it only connects with New York, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, and Connecticut, and the other US 2 states if you consider US 2 to be a single route. Pennsylvania could be added if VT 9/NY 7/PA 29 was given a single number. Still, that's only 13 out of 47; I-95 alone has more.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 28, 2017, 02:47:23 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 28, 2017, 06:25:01 AM

Is the reno metro area big?

No, about 425,000 people. 

thenetwork

Quote from: 1 on August 28, 2017, 04:27:46 PM
You can get to all but 3 contiguous states and DC from Illinois by staying on a single route.

If you just count only routes that pass through the Chicagoland Area, you can still reach 39 of the 48 contiguous states today using a single route.

(* -- 44 if US-66 was still officially around).

Arizona: None*
Colorado: US-6
Delaware: None
Kansas: None*
Kentucky: US-41
Maryland: None
Missouri: I-57
New Mexico: None*
Oklahoma: None*
Pennsylvania: US-6
Texas: None*
Utah: US-6
Virginia: US-52
West Virginia: US-30

hotdogPi

Quote from: thenetwork on August 28, 2017, 11:31:04 PM

If you just count only routes that pass through the Chicagoland Area, you can still reach 38 of the 48 contiguous states today using a single route.

Virginia: None

You forgot US 52.
Clinched, plus MA 286

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: 1 on August 28, 2017, 04:27:46 PM

Alaska: Not contiguous
Arizona: US 60
Colorado: I-70
Delaware: US 40
Hawaii: Not contiguous
Kansas: I-70
Kentucky: I-24
Maryland: I-70
Missouri: I-70
New Mexico: US 60
Oklahoma: US 60
Pennsylvania: I-70
Texas: US 60
Utah: I-70
Virginia: US 50
West Virginia: I-70
DC: US 50

(Vermont is very poorly connected; it only connects with New York, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, and Connecticut, and the other US 2 states if you consider US 2 to be a single route. Pennsylvania could be added if VT 9/NY 7/PA 29 was given a single number. Still, that's only 13 out of 47; I-95 alone has more.)

And you can reach the three missing ones by changing routes once (VT is I-90 to I-91, NH and ME is I-90 to I-95, VT and NH can also be done by I-90 to US 4).

And for the record, for my own purposes I know the Western US 2 as US 0, as it is a different route. That leaves VT with only 5.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

thenetwork

Quote from: 1 on August 29, 2017, 05:57:05 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on August 28, 2017, 11:31:04 PM

If you just count only routes that pass through the Chicagoland Area, you can still reach 38 of the 48 contiguous states today using a single route.

Virginia: None

You forgot US 52.

I did. Fixed. Thanks!

Road Hog

hotdogPi

Quote from: bing101 on December 03, 2017, 08:34:54 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hempstead,_New_York

Hempstead, New York is classified as a town but its population is bigger than Seattle, Washington though and its bigger than Vancouver, BC proper. Its population is close to San Francisco proper though.

You posted the same thing on Page 5.
Clinched, plus MA 286

bing101

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/darkest-town-in-america/

Gerlach, Nevada is the most populated place in the United States where you can easily see the stars in the U.S. Mainland.

Roadgeekteen

hotdogPi

Quote from: bing101 on December 03, 2017, 08:39:17 PM
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/darkest-town-in-america/

Gerlach, Nevada is the most populated place in the United States where you can easily see the stars in the U.S. Mainland.

[not in citation given]
Clinched, plus MA 286

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 03, 2017, 08:39:53 PM
Jacksonville has more people than Miami.

Jacksonville consolidated with most of Duval County which helps out in terms of sheer population numbers.  But that said the population density of Jacksonville is about 1,200 per square mile while Miami is approaching 13,000.

jwolfer

If Miami were consolidated with the county it would have population of well over 2 million.  Duval County has just over 900k.

Another factor in the density in Miami is the Everglades constraining all development right along the coast.  Jacksonville is much more spread out.  So although Miami-Dade county is larger geographically people live in a much smaller area than Duval

Z981

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.