News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

ESPN Has Lost 7 Million Subscribers The Past Two Years

Started by Stephane Dumas, November 30, 2015, 10:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

nexus73

Excellent number crunching analysis!  The change in media continues and now it is the cord cutters' turn to create that change.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

triplemultiplex

It was that Lebron James announcement circus when he signed with the Heat.  Yeah there's many other things you can point to that were steps toward that network becoming unwatchable, but that Lebron thing was the final straw.  It encapsulates everything that's terrible about ESPN in a single event and was a wake up call for viewers who had been lulled into going along with the increasing crappiness.

That's when they finally jumped their pathetic ass over the shark.

ESPN sucks now because it has turned into cable news.  They have copied all the same gimmicks and formats the cable news channels use to keep eyeballs.  The only difference is they are talking about football instead of the Presidential Election.  Everything else is the same; the graphics, the talking heads, the arguing over bullshit that doesn't really matter.  We'll be right back after 7,000 commercials for Draft Kings.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

ET21

Well when their products and apps don't work half the time (XBONE app, ESPN phone app)
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

formulanone

But how many viewers has Fox Sports lost? CNN? Lifetime Network? HGTV? Disney Channel? Probably the same losses, due to network bundling, although more and more folks have had enough of spending $50-100/month on cable or satellite programming. Yes, you get more channels, but I think a lot of people realize you can't squeeze any more time into actually watching them, compared to the Internet's pricing model.

Don't get me wrong, ESPN isn't doing much of anything right in my book, but I just look at it as designed for a younger generation or those who want a televised Twitter feed.

Jardine

I'm privy to bulk pricing information for various channel packages offered to hotels, nursing homes, and other institutions.

Adding just the basic ESPN block of channels to a system can DOUBLE the monthly charge.  For administrators trying to watch expenses, dropping ESPN is a pretty easy decision to make.  There ARE other sports channels, after all.

Henry

You know you're doing very badly when your biggest rival puts out a story about you. For one, ESPN's coverage of the NBA pales in comparison to the gold standard that was NBC's coverage during the 90s.

On the plus side, at least ESPN does not have Joe Buck!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

tchafe1978

The only thing I miss about ESPN these days is being able to watch my favorite teams when they're on one of their channels. Otherwise, I haven't missed it since dropping DirecTV about 3 years ago and went to only our antenna for TV. But that's the draw to ESPN and other sports networks, and also what drives up their cost, is the live sporting events. Otherwise who would watch if all it was was ESPNEWS 24/7? That's where they make their money. There are plenty of other places online to catch highlights, news, etc. that you don't need it just for Sportscenter. I just figure if it's a big enough game I want to see, I can just go to my inlaws who still have cable or to the bar.

US 41

I think ESPN's biggest issue is that it is just 2 or 3 guys talking about sports all day long, rather than actually broadcasting games. Didn't ESPN used to broadcast Australian and Canadian Football. What about Euro League Basketball. If they broadcasted more games (that Americans are interested in, aka not soccer) their ratings would go up. No one wants to watch 2 or 3 old guys talk about Lebron and Peyton all day long.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

CNGL-Leudimin

That sounds like some sports media in this part of the world. For them it seems sports are just two association football teams (Real Madrid and FC Barcelona) and nothing else.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Henry

Quote from: US 41 on December 02, 2015, 11:41:32 AM
I think ESPN's biggest issue is that it is just 2 or 3 guys talking about sports all day long, rather than actually broadcasting games. Didn't ESPN used to broadcast Australian and Canadian Football. What about Euro League Basketball. If they broadcasted more games (that Americans are interested in, aka not soccer) their ratings would go up. No one wants to watch 2 or 3 old guys talk about Lebron and Peyton all day long.
Hello, ESPN2/3/4? Outside the NBA, Sunday Night Baseball and Monday Night Football (which is still a Disney property, as the company also owns original broadcaster ABC), there needs to be far more variety for ESPN to cover. What good would having extra channels do if they won't step outside their comfort zone every once in a while?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

nexus73

Quote from: Henry on December 02, 2015, 11:53:48 AM
Quote from: US 41 on December 02, 2015, 11:41:32 AM
Hello, ESPN2/3/4? Outside the NBA, Sunday Night Baseball and Monday Night Football (which is still a Disney property, as the company also owns original broadcaster ABC), there needs to be far more variety for ESPN to cover. What good would having extra channels do if they won't step outside their comfort zone every once in a while?

ESPN broadcast Magic The Gathering and Women's Flat Track Roller Derby one time, then never tried again.  They have proven remarkably resistant to trying new events.  As for sports journalism, I have found the Thirty For Thirty series remarkably good.  Watch "The U" or the story about Todd Marinovich to see when this network wants to be seriously good, they can.

Hey, if McDonald's and KFC can flounder, why not ESPN?  For every thing there is a season and ESPN is heading for wintertime.  It was a good ride while it lasted though!

Rick

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: nexus73 on December 02, 2015, 07:27:17 PMAs for sports journalism, I have found the Thirty For Thirty series remarkably good.  Watch "The U" or the story about Todd Marinovich to see when this network wants to be seriously good, they can.

The docs are usually pretty good, but they need to drop the "30 for 30" name since neither of those 30's applies anymore.

Billy F 1988

Meh. ESPN sucks anyways. Always had. Always will. Next?!
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

GCrites

I liked ESPN the best when it had a much higher action-to-jibberjabber ratio. Truck pulling, arm-wrestling, windsurfing and that sort of stuff instead of endless controversies. I get sick of ESPN trying to shape society and create values systems. Their Michale Vick dog-fighting coverage got old fast. Yes we know dog fighting is bad.

But the way people talk about sports has changed completely since ESPN got all jibber-jabber. They know so much more about teams that they don't follow closely, out-of-town teams and ridiculous stats than say people in the '80s. They really like talking about these things now and taking that away to show Trans Am races again would totally lose today's fans.

bing101

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: bing101 on January 01, 2016, 08:37:20 PM

Interesting to see that ESPN wants to air the FIFA debates. But wait do people really want to watch a Fifa presidential debate.

What?? Nobody really cares who the FIFA leader is unless Donald Trump is in the debates.

ESPN had caught the "MTV syndrome".  I could imagine the Nostalgia Critic doing the following reactions. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE9I-FhQ-xk
https://youtu.be/LTu8crcoeBI?t=25s

noelbotevera

It's amazing. Five years ago, everyone loved them. Let time pass, and they've become absolute trash that hides in a very minute corner under your bed. They're so bad at discussing sports...I'd rather have myself do that.

TL;DR: ESPN is bad.

Pete from Boston

There are very few cable specialty networks that have stayed excellent for a prolonged period.  The medium has exploded to the point where constant marketing data creates constant format tweaking.  These outlets only exist to chase the multiplying and shrinking slivers of the advertising pie.  Quality content is an increasingly obsolete concept.

Turn off, tune out, drop the subscription.  TV's not going to suddenly get good.

bing101

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on January 01, 2016, 09:52:31 PM
Quote from: bing101 on January 01, 2016, 08:37:20 PM

Interesting to see that ESPN wants to air the FIFA debates. But wait do people really want to watch a Fifa presidential debate.

What?? Nobody really cares who the FIFA leader is unless Donald Trump is in the debates.

ESPN had caught the "MTV syndrome".  I could imagine the Nostalgia Critic doing the following reactions. ;)

Yes except this ain't so much an "MTV syndrome"  My link said ESPN will air the FIFA debates January 29.  Its ESPN having a CNN and Fox News syndrome caving into politics.

triplemultiplex

Makes perfect sense, since ESPN has borrowed the cable news model of having some talking heads blather about a "controversial" issue in sports for short, meaningless periods of time.  After a few talking points where no useful information is shared, it's on to the next subject.  Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Commercial.

bing101

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/fifa/18590-espn-join-fray-inviting-fifa-candidates-to-a-tv-debate-in-london

Update FIFA has declared London as the venue to air the FIFA Presidential debates and ESPN has the broadcasting rights to air the debates in the USA.

Wow Its incredible to see ESPN as a political network and becoming less of a sports network. Instead of going after Trump, Sanders Clinton, Bush and Rubio for the White House and their Lobbyists/ Superpacs of their political parties. 

This time its the FIFA president, board and investors/Superpacs of FIFA teams and stadiums leaders thats on the political hot seat and in the firing lines of Pundits.

bing101

kurumi

What's the over/under on ESPN debuting some sort of house-hunting show? That's when you'll know the decline is accelerating.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

formulanone

Quote from: kurumi on January 15, 2016, 12:31:52 AM
What's the over/under on ESPN debuting some sort of house-hunting show? That's when you'll know the decline is accelerating.

I'd imagine most wealthy athletes build to suit.

If you're shopping for a house, the shows are kind of useful.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.