News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

SMF Gallery

Started by Alex, March 01, 2016, 07:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Hello all,

Recently we added a photo gallery mod to the forum where photos/images can be directly hosted here. This is something we have contemplated adding for awhile now as a place where forum members could host their images locally to post onto the board. For now we are considering it as a beta test.

Any forum member can view the current gallery but will need permission rights to be able to add to it. We wanted to open this option for members that might want try it out, with the idea that the gallery mod may help long term where some of the older posts (including some of my own) have blank or broken images from hotlinked photos that are no longer online.

The version currently in place is the Lite version, which hosts photos in community galleries. If enough members show interest or use the mod, we can consider upgrading to the Pro version, which has much more functionality including auto-resizing and the option for members to have their own gallery. PM myself or one of the other admins if you would like to try it out.

As a side bar, we are working on a long term photo gallery database for the main site, where Andy, myself, and maybe others including some of you here, can host a large array of photos with categorization, tagging, etc. This will likely be where Kansas, Oklahoma and Minnesota finally get some coverage on AARoads.

Alps

I find that Flickr's free service is more than sufficient for anything I want to upload that's not part of my website.

hbelkins

I wouldn't mind taking part in this. I'm not traveling as much as I used to, but when I do take pictures, I tend to upload them to Flickr in one big chunk instead of smaller incremental bits, and I've been doing my local photos in two six-month recaps each year. If I take a relatively interesting photo that I'd like to share here immediately but won't be putting up on Flickr for several months, I've had to resort to using a Photobucket or Imgur account. With this option, I could post directly here and wouldn't have to worry about posting to one of those sites and then sharing the link.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hbelkins

Alex, sent you a PM. I'd like to participate.

When I clicked the link in the original post, I got a message that I am not allowed to view the gallery.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alex

Quote from: hbelkins on March 13, 2016, 06:20:35 PM

When I clicked the link in the original post, I got a message that I am not allowed to view the gallery.

Just responded.

Anyone should be able to view it. Maybe James can take a look at it if its restricting access?

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Alex on March 13, 2016, 06:54:03 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 13, 2016, 06:20:35 PM

Just responded.

Anyone should be able to view it. Maybe James can take a look at it if its restricting access?

Problem was with the DOT group.  I've fixed it (I think).  Let me know if it's working now.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.