News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Bell and Grand (US 60) Flyover bridge

Started by Max Rockatansky, April 11, 2016, 06:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Found this on ADOT's Youtube site today:

I didn't realize this was going to be a left exit from Grand.  I'm not exactly sure how this going to speed up things for Bell Road but should clear up Grand pretty nicely.  Guess the old Dysart, to Bell and back to Grand trick isn't going to work anymore going north.

pumpkineater2

Well for one, the railroad tracks and Bell road will have a grade separation. If the actual cars drive as fast as they are going in the video, things will surely speed up. :spin:
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

Sonic99

The lights can also be shorter, as the only traffic at that intersection will be those turning on or off of Bell, instead of the Grand Ave traffic as well.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Sonic99 on April 12, 2016, 01:59:10 AM
The lights can also be shorter, as the only traffic at that intersection will be those turning on or off of Bell, instead of the Grand Ave traffic as well.

What I thought was really weird upon re-watching was that you have to go left into the turn lane for Bell at Bell Grande Drive.  Granted I know that's a large shopping center but that leaves some unanswered questions.  Would you be able to turn left on to the Bell ramp off of Bell Grande Drive or just go straight onto Grand?  And without a divider median past the Bell Granda Drive isn't that just going to mean people who realize they missed the Bell turn off are just going to cut left suddenly to get on the ramp?  Granted the alternative would be to south the traffic to go south on Grand and u-turn or dumping them onto Bell to go south/north on the Grand Ramp.

They could have made it easier by rebuilding Grand on an overpass over Bell road and making it an interchange.similar to Exit 160, but on a smaller scale.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 707 on April 12, 2016, 09:15:00 PM
They could have made it easier by rebuilding Grand on an overpass over Bell road and making it an interchange.similar to Exit 160, but on a smaller scale.

Probably has a lot to do with the fact that it's going to take 6 to 8 months to finish the project as is.  Shutting down Grand for that long would basically cause the whole city of Surprise to grind to a halt, it's probably already getting that way with Bell being closed.

Sonic99

That would have done nothing to address the railroad grade crossing for Bell Rd. Putting Bell over the top eliminated the grade crossing completely.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

Quote from: Sonic99 on April 13, 2016, 02:14:34 AM

That would have done nothing to address the railroad grade crossing for Bell Rd. Putting Bell over the top eliminated the grade crossing completely.

That's right. I forgot about the railroad.

hm insulators

I've wondered: Couldn't they have buily a detour next to the construction site for Bell Road, rerouted the traffic onto the detour across the tracks and Grand Avenue instead of closing Bell Road completely and rerouting the traffic onto roads not designed for such heavy traffic volumes (Dysart, Greenway, RH Johnson--I'm sure traffic on RH Johnson has increased greatly, much to the chagrin and annoyance of Sun City West residents like my mother)? I remember when they built I-210 through the L.A. suburb I grew up in, they didn't close down Foothill Blvd. and Angeles Crest Hwy. and force traffic to use residential streets; they built detours.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Sonic99

Quote from: hm insulators on April 14, 2016, 04:18:28 PM
I've wondered: Couldn't they have buily a detour next to the construction site for Bell Road, rerouted the traffic onto the detour across the tracks and Grand Avenue instead of closing Bell Road completely and rerouting the traffic onto roads not designed for such heavy traffic volumes (Dysart, Greenway, RH Johnson--I'm sure traffic on RH Johnson has increased greatly, much to the chagrin and annoyance of Sun City West residents like my mother)? I remember when they built I-210 through the L.A. suburb I grew up in, they didn't close down Foothill Blvd. and Angeles Crest Hwy. and force traffic to use residential streets; they built detours.

They went this route for timing. They had to wait until after spring training to be done, but they need to be done by the holidays because of the snow bird traffic and the shopping traffic around that area. Building a detour, then the main interchange, then removing the detour and finishing it up, would just take too long.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Sonic99 on April 14, 2016, 05:09:08 PM

They went this route for timing. They had to wait until after spring training to be done, but they need to be done by the holidays because of the snow bird traffic and the shopping traffic around that area. Building a detour, then the main interchange, then removing the detour and finishing it up, would just take too long.

It's amazing how empty that corridor gets this time of year.  Basically once the 1st of April hits almost all of Sun City and Sun City West has long packed up to whatever great white northern destination they came from.

swbrotha100

The official detour for Bell Rd is Litchfield Rd, Greenway Rd, Dysart Rd.

roadfro

Quote from: Sonic99 on April 14, 2016, 05:09:08 PM

Not to mention, building a detour across the railroad tracks involves an extra layer of coordination with the railroad authorities with having to construct a temporary grade crossing.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

ADOT sent out an update. Construction just started on the eastbound bridge support columns for Bell Road.

Sonic99

Quote from: 707 on April 16, 2016, 02:39:57 AM
ADOT sent out an update. Construction just started on the eastbound bridge support columns for Bell Road.

They're moving quickly. This is why they went for the full closure instead of building detours to keep Bell open somehow. Intersection is already dismantled and supports are already going vertical. None of that could have happened if Bell was still open.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1054552817949754&id=117553941649651

Sonic99

And now a flyover video of what's happening right now.

Max Rockatansky

Almost looks like Bell dead ends at Grand from the perspective of the fly-by angle.

Max Rockatansky

ADOT posted a video update on this project:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.