News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NC is requesting I-36 for US 70 East Corridor and I-89 for RDU to Norfolk corr

Started by CanesFan27, May 05, 2016, 01:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will AASHTO Approve or Reject the I-36 or 89 designations?

Approve Both
12 (18.5%)
Approve 36 and Reject 89
30 (46.2%)
Reject 36 and Approve 89
3 (4.6%)
Reject Both
20 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Voting closed: May 26, 2016, 02:17:33 PM

WashuOtaku

Quote from: LM117 on June 09, 2016, 06:56:03 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 09, 2016, 04:41:51 PM
Is the C.F. Harvey Parkway around Kinston proposed to reconnect with US 70 and thus become part of 70 (and Interstate 42)?
Not anymore. It was one of the northern alternatives for the bypass, but NCDOT eliminated all of the alternatives that ran north of the existing US-70. Kinston initially wanted the CF Harvey Parkway to be the alignment for the bypass since it runs right by the Global TransPark, but since the northern alternatives got the ax, only the southern alternatives remain.

Wouldn't surprise me if, once I-42 exists around Kinston, that they convert C.F. Harvey Parkway as a spur of I-42.

LM117

Quote from: CanesFan27 on June 10, 2016, 08:07:27 AM
Bob, honestly that's a stretch to say they'll renumber 795.  Like 785 - they can have a brief multiplex with x87 from 95 to where 795 heads south.  There's no games being played there.

LM117, do you have any links for the Quad East - I've never seen anything on it and would love to catch up on it.

Thanks!
Adam

I agree. I don't think I-795 is going anywhere. All NCDOT documents refer to it as an extension of I-795.

Here's some articles about Quad East. This should bring you up to speed. The idea is still alive there. Now that Future I-87 is set in stone, I expect Greenville will want US-13 upgraded from the US-264 northwest bypass interchange to US-64/Future I-87 to add a connection to Hampton Roads into the mix. Happy reading!

http://publicradioeast.org/post/quadloop-proposed

http://m.wcti12.com/news/leaders-meet-to-discuss-quadeast-highway-loop-project/22802226

http://m.kinston.com/article/20140609/News/306099988
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

froggie

The Virginian Pilot finally picked up on the AASHTO approval of I-87.  Aside from what's in the article title ($1B estimate), there's not much new, though a quote tied to a Raleigh business group's executive director suggests that the route number "is tied to four historic years".  While the years he cites are valid, I find it dubious that it was a rationale behind the route number given that I-89 is the number originally requested by NCDOT.

New $1 billion, 213-mile interstate planned to connect Norfolk and Raleigh

CanesFan27

Quote from: WashuOtaku on June 10, 2016, 09:34:39 AM
Is the C.F. Harvey Parkway around Kinston proposed to reconnect with US 70 and thus become part of 70 (and Interstate 42)?
Not anymore. It was one of the northern alternatives for the bypass, but NCDOT eliminated all of the alternatives that ran north of the existing US-70. Kinston initially wanted the CF Harvey Parkway to be the alignment for the bypass since it runs right by the Global TransPark, but since the northern alternatives got the ax, only the southern alternatives remain.

Wouldn't surprise me if, once I-42 exists around Kinston, that they convert C.F. Harvey Parkway as a spur of I-42.

And that is the driving factor for I-42.  Not the Port of Morehead City but the Global TransPark.

LM117

Quote from: froggie on June 10, 2016, 02:29:40 PM
The Virginian Pilot finally picked up on the AASHTO approval of I-87.  Aside from what's in the article title ($1B estimate), there's not much new, though a quote tied to a Raleigh business group's executive director suggests that the route number "is tied to four historic years".  While the years he cites are valid, I find it dubious that it was a rationale behind the route number given that I-89 is the number originally requested by NCDOT.

New $1 billion, 213-mile interstate planned to connect Norfolk and Raleigh

Of course they were gonna put a positive spin on the number. You didn't think they were gonna announce that I-87 only came about because AASHTO canned I-89, did ya?  :spin:

LM117

If the CF Harvey Parkway ever becomes part of a 3-di, I doubt a 3-di interstate would permanently end at the Global TransPark. It will likely go up to Greenville, if not Bethel, in which case an I-x87 would be a better number, IMO. As I've mentioned to CanesFan27, there's been a big push from Kinston and Greenville to have the CF Harvey Parkway and NC-11 upgraded to interstate standards and have an interstate connecting Kinston and Greenville as part of the Quad East loop. Greenville will probably want it to extend to US-64/Future I-87 in Bethel to connect it to Hampton Roads. Regardless of whether or not it's worth doing, you gotta admit, it's one hell of an idea they cooked up.

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on June 10, 2016, 04:15:02 PM

If the CF Harvey Parkway ever becomes part of a 3-di, I doubt a 3-di interstate would permanently end at the Global TransPark. It will likely go up to Greenville, if not Bethel, in which case an I-x87 would be a better number, IMO. As I've mentioned to CanesFan27, there's been a big push from Kinston and Greenville to have the CF Harvey Parkway and NC-11 upgraded to interstate standards and have an interstate connecting Kinston and Greenville as part of the Quad East loop. Greenville will probably want it to extend to US-64/Future I-87 in Bethel to connect it to Hampton Roads. Regardless of whether or not it's worth doing, you gotta admit, it's one hell of an idea they cooked up.
Interstate designation for US 264, Zebulon to Greenville: very likely.
New interstate from Kinston to Bethel: don't hold your breath. The fact that projects are being scored doesn't mean they'll be in the new STIP.

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on June 10, 2016, 04:42:47 PM
Quote from: LM117 on June 10, 2016, 04:15:02 PM

Interstate designation for US 264, Zebulon to Greenville: very likely.
New interstate from Kinston to Bethel: don't hold your breath. The fact that projects are being scored doesn't mean they'll be in the new STIP.

I know. I didn't say Kinston to Bethel is likely to be built. I'm just saying that's what Kinston and Greenville wants. I agree that an I-x87 from Zebulon to Greenville is very likely. The only thing keeping US-264 from being interstate standard that I know of from Zebulon to Greenville is the lack of 10 ft. outside shoulders. The inner shoulders are fine and the bridges already have 10 ft. shoulders. US-264 is already interstate standard from I-95 to the Wilson/Greene county line. There are signs along US-264 warning drivers of farm equipment using the highway, so those will have to come down if I-x87 is ever signed on it since farm equipment are forbidden from using interstate highways (unless Congressional law grandfathers it in like they did for I-555 in Arkansas and I don't see it happening for US-264). Greenville wants US-264 upgraded first anyway, above anything else. Greenville only supported the Quad East idea in the first place because it was the only way they could get the surrounding counties to support upgrading US-264. Kinston was the one that threw the Quad East monkeywrench into the works.

Mileage Mike

CF Harvey Parkway needs upgrades past the interchange with US 258 before being Interstate standards. I think they'll extend it to intersect NC 11 but not beyond that to Greenville. The current 4 lane NC 11 does a pretty good job of moving traffic between Kinston and Greenville. There's only one or two traffic lights before you hit Winterville.

The Ghostbuster

The CF Harvey Parkway does have at-grade intersections east of the US 258 interchange. If they do extend the parkway to SR 11, it seems like it would be built the same way. How likely is it that the stretch east of 258 would receive a freeway conversion? I've never been anywhere near there, but my guess is that it would be unlikely to happen.

LM117

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 24, 2016, 04:34:02 PM
The CF Harvey Parkway does have at-grade intersections east of the US 258 interchange. If they do extend the parkway to SR 11, it seems like it would be built the same way. How likely is it that the stretch east of 258 would receive a freeway conversion? I've never been anywhere near there, but my guess is that it would be unlikely to happen.

NCDOT is indeed extending the CF Harvey Parkway to NC-11. This extension will be a freeway.

https://ncdot.gov/projects/CFharveyPkwyExt/default.html

The Ghostbuster

What about the portion between US 258 and NC 58? Will that segment remain as-is for the foreseeable future?

LM117

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 24, 2016, 04:53:08 PM
What about the portion between US 258 and NC 58? Will that segment remain as-is for the foreseeable future?

As far as I know, yes. Kinston, however, wants the rest of the CF Harvey Parkway and NC-11 upgraded to interstate standards so an I-x42 or I-x87 can run from I-42 in Kinston to Greenville and possibly further to US-64/Future I-87 in Bethel as part of the Quad East interstate concept. But, there are no current plans by NCDOT for that to happen.

http://publicradioeast.org/post/quadloop-proposed#stream/0

http://m.wcti12.com/news/leaders-meet-to-discuss-quadeast-highway-loop-project/22802226

http://www.kinston.com/20140609/quad-east-interstate-loop-projects-on-priority-list/306099988

CanesFan27

Quote from: LM117 on June 24, 2016, 06:23:16 PM

As far as I know, yes. Kinston, however, wants the rest of the CF Harvey Parkway and NC-11 upgraded to interstate standards so an I-x42 or I-x87 can run from I-42 in Kinston to Greenville and possibly further to US-64/Future I-87 in Bethel as part of the Quad East interstate concept. But, there are no current plans by NCDOT for that to happen.

http://www.kinston.com/20140609/quad-east-interstate-loop-projects-on-priority-list/306099988

SO i had the time to research and put some thought to this "Quad East" idea. 

First, NC 11 tp the US 264 Greenville bypass won't as difficult to get to standards compared to Greenville to Kinston.  The interchange with the 64 (I-87) freeway will need to be upgraded, the interchange with US 64 Alt on the Bethel Bypass as well.  A number of at grades with Business NC 11, NC 30 will obviously need to become interchanges -and the remaining intersections will either be removed by an overpass, or removed.  As you get to Greenville, the highway is going to need to divert to the south and west from the current alignment.  This will be needed to avoid Welcome Middle School and the large Patheon (pharma) plant that is at the current US 264/NC11/US 13 interchange.  This will most likely by the Pitt County Dump Service site on Briley Road.

South of Greenville towards Kinston there's a lot more farms, businesses and residences impacted.  Obviously, the SW corner of the Greenville Bypass will be built on a new alignment (someday) but from that point  to Kinston will be more involved and expensive than the segment to the North.

What I can see happening is some 3di offshoot of 87 or 95 going from Wilson - east to Greenville - along the Greenville bpyass - and north via NC 11 to 87 in Bethel.  The Greenville to Kinston segment  - it's own designation.  Or Wilson to the Greenville Bypass as an interstate and Bethel to Kinston as it's own. 

it will be a long way off - most likely 30 years minimum - the first priority is actually just completing the SW corner of the Greenville (more of a Winterville and Ayden) bypass.  Any other upgrades from that point is not currently necessary.

Mileage Mike

I've always found it interesting that Kinston is the only significant sized city in the region that doesn't have any freeways at all.  Goldsboro even received a second limited access bypass before Kinston got one.  It's also looking like they will be the last to finally receive an upgraded bypass for the I-42 corridor.

LM117

Quote from: CanesFan27 on June 25, 2016, 10:45:05 AM
Quote from: LM117 on June 24, 2016, 06:23:16 PM

Obviously, the SW corner of the Greenville Bypass will be built on a new alignment (someday) but from that point  to Kinston will be more involved and expensive than the segment to the North.

Or Wilson to the Greenville Bypass as an interstate and Bethel to Kinston as it's own.

The Greenville SW Bypass is already under construction and will be signed as NC-11.

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/Contract-awarded-to-build-new-Southwest-Greenville-Bypass-303093791.html

If Quad East comes to fruition, it will likely be two interstates, (probably two I-x87's). However, I don't think an interstate on US-264 would just run from Wilson to Greenville. It'll probably run from I-87 in Zebulon and end at Stantonsburg Road in Greenville. Greenville has been wanting US-264 upgraded all the way to Raleigh so they would have an interstate connection to the Triangle. At the risk of getting into fictional territory, if Quad East ever happens, an I-x87 from I-87 in Zebulon to Stantonsburg Road in Greenville and another I-x87 from I-87 near Bethel to I-42 in Kinston, using the CF Harvey Parkway to connect to I-42, would be the way to go, IMO. :hmm:

LM117

Quote from: Cemajr on June 25, 2016, 03:42:29 PM
I've always found it interesting that Kinston is the only significant sized city in the region that doesn't have any freeways at all.  Goldsboro even received a second limited access bypass before Kinston got one.  It's also looking like they will be the last to finally receive an upgraded bypass for the I-42 corridor.

I think they'll be the second to last to get their bypass done. Nothing has ever been mentioned or done about the Northern Carteret Bypass since a feasability study was done back in 2009 that I know of. The Northern Carteret Bypass doesn't even show up on NCDOT's US-70 Corridor improvements map anymore. I'm not sure what the plans for the bypass are now.

Kinston really isn't that big. It's a little smaller than Goldsboro. There are a few who wonder why money should be spent on infrastructure for the Global TransPark since it's been a failure since it's opening in 1991, but one of the biggest reasons it's been a failure was because of the lack of infrastructure. It's the chicken/egg scenario. All it had to start with was a runway. It had no direct rail access and, until a few months ago, wasn't near a future interstate corridor. Hell, the CF Harvey Parkway didn't even connect to US-70 until fairly recently and it didn't get a railroad spur leading directly into the park until 2012, which connects to the railroad that goes to the Port of Morehead City.

And of course, there's been companies that refused to locate there because it lacked access to a nearby interstate. The cart was put before the horse. I think once I-42 is finished in it's entirety and the CF Harvey Parkway extends to NC-11, the Global TransPark will be more successful. It obviously won't be RTP, but I think it will finally start to take off over time. Extending the rail spur from the TransPark to connect to the railroad that leads through Greenville and extending that line northward from Parmele to the rail line in Kelford, which leads to the Port of Virginia in Norfolk, would also be a huge boost for the TransPark.

CSX is also wanting to build a large rail hub off of I-95 near Selma, but they've ran into hardcore NIMBY's in Johnston County. If CSX builds their hub off of I-95 near I-42 and the Global TransPark turns around, eastern NC will be in a lot better shape, economically.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/johnston-county/article54653390.html

The Port of Morehead City and the military bases were basically used as a means to an end to getting US-70 signed into law as a future interstate. The Global TransPark was a much bigger driving factor for getting US-70 upgraded. The military and the Port of Morehead City is a much more convincing sell than trying to convince Congress and FHWA that an interstate is needed for an industrial park that's been a failure for 20+ years. I know a few might consider the Quad East idea a waste (and they could be right), but the reasoning behind it certainly isn't, IMO.

sparker

It's not only existing nearby industrial/distribution facilities that are currently driving the deployment of new facilities such as I-42, it's the projected increase in large-scale seagoing cargo on the East Coast due to PANAMAX (the Panama Canal enhancement).  East Coast ports are in the process of setting themselves up for potentially drastic increases in inbound cargo.  Each of them sees two things necessary for this: (a) a rail line for moving large volume units, and (b) an Interstate route for LTL or multiple-destination egress.  The established Southeast Seaboard ports of Savannah and Charleston have had these facilities for years; Wilmington completed theirs (I-40) 20+ years ago.  Much $$ have been expended dredging channels for this anticipated cargo increase; improving highway access is simply part of the equation.  NC ports in particular see themselves in a unique position to serve as cost-effective entryways for cargo intended for the Great Lakes region, considering the distance from port to destination -- and the possibility of using less-congested corridors (both rail & roadway) to effect that cargo movement.  Morehead City/Beaufort is simply trying to get in on the action.  The fact that CSX is considering a rail hub near Selma speaks volumes about their hopes for a Panamax-fueled business boost; their domestic & export coal shipments -- long their bread & butter -- have gone to hell in the last few years, and they, along with their competitor NS, are looking for anything to replace that lost business. 

Whether Panamax pans out in the long haul is, of course, a matter of conjecture; folks on the Seaboard have certainly doubled down on it!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.