News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Maryland and DC/VA area

Started by Mergingtraffic, May 16, 2016, 04:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

In a few days I hope to be taking a trip down the NJ Tpke to MD and DC/VA area.

Any non-reflective button copy goodies, state-named interstate shields?  Old signs route markers etc?

I plan on hitting up Baltimore for sure and am pretty familiar with their button copy (unless some has been removed since last March)
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

1995hoo

Most of DC's territory-named shields have disappeared recently. Several came down as part of the effort to sign I-695. I know of at least one that remained as of Friday, corner of 27th and I NW at the entrance to I-66. The LGS has a "District of Columbia" shield. If you want to see that, combine it with a trip to see the ancient sign gantry over westbound I-66. It's best viewed on foot from Juarez Circle. There's a pedestrian walkway right on the edge overlooking the highway. Just be cautious where you park–the Saudi Arabian embassy is across the street and there are a number of restrictions in place.

There's a weird I-66 shield on a BGS over the eastbound Whitehurst Freeway. It's weird because it has strange-looking numbers. The sign, and its companion for US-29, is weird because it refers to E Street as "E. Street" (and "K. Street").

There's an old sign underneath the L'Enfant Promenade that still lists I-95. I believe it's 10 Street SW under there and it's on the wall at the corner of D. About a block to the east, you can find the "Do Not Enter" sign that's shaped like a stop sign.

Virginia has two state-name I-66 shields on the westbound side inside the Beltway. Not sure about eastbound because I seldom go that way. You can find two cutout US-1 shields on northbound US-1 in Alexandria, one on the left just north of Duke Street and one on the right just north of King Street (two blocks up from the first). The City of Falls Church has some cutouts as well, most notably at the corner of US-29 and VA-7.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.