News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Smart traffic lights

Started by kalvado, May 31, 2016, 08:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Delaware uses a stretched figure 8 dual loop in the intersection, stretching back from the stop line for about 15-20 feet: https://goo.gl/maps/TwXMqpveF6z

NJ typically had used a series of 3 - 4 loops approaching an intersection, including one after the stop line.  http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/eng/documents/RDM/images/figure12a.jpg .

kalvado

Quote from: tradephoric on June 02, 2016, 07:59:34 AM
It's three in the morning at this Florida intersection and a pedestrian just hit a pushbutton to cross the 225 foot crosswalk.  It would take 75 seconds to fit this pedestrian assuming the MUTCD standards are being followed.  The intersection is "smart"  and knows that current traffic volumes only require 10-15 seconds to clear out the vehicles along main-street.   I know this is an extreme example, but it shows you the limitations of "smart"  traffic signals since they need to fit required pedestrian times and safety minimums.
Contrary, being "smart" should allow controller to deal with that. For me, "smart" means to take more input and being able to process inputs in more complex ways. I can even envision controller being able to detect pedestrian presence without buttons and adjusting timing accordingly - e.g. someone is  wheelchair or on crutches may need longer time to cross; or shortening the cycle if everyone vacated crosswalk earlier. Probably easier to say than to implement, but I wouldn't call such task unreasonable for controller with lots of processing power.

tradephoric

Quote from: kalvado on June 02, 2016, 09:18:45 AM
I can even envision controller being able to detect pedestrian presence without buttons and adjusting timing accordingly - e.g. someone is  wheelchair or on crutches may need longer time to cross; or shortening the cycle if everyone vacated crosswalk earlier. Probably easier to say than to implement, but I wouldn't call such task unreasonable for controller with lots of processing power.

Presumably this would require some type of video detection to work.   Keep in mind video detection isn't 100% accurate at detecting vehicles.  Do you really want a slow pedestrian to get stuck in the middle of the crosswalk because the detection missed them?  This type of "adaptive pedestrian detection"  could be quite dangerous.

The solution is to limit the pedestrian crossing lengths so a ped crossing won't hijack an intersection.  An intersection with a pedestrian crosswalk that is 225 feet long shouldn't exist.

kalvado

Quote from: tradephoric on June 02, 2016, 10:06:43 AM
I can even envision controller being able to detect pedestrian presence without buttons and adjusting timing accordingly - e.g. someone is  wheelchair or on crutches may need longer time to cross; or shortening the cycle if everyone vacated crosswalk earlier. Probably easier to say than to implement, but I wouldn't call such task unreasonable for controller with lots of processing power.

Presumably this would require some type of video detection to work.   Keep in mind video detection isn't 100% accurate at detecting vehicles.  Do you really want a slow pedestrian to get stuck in the middle of the crosswalk because the detection missed them?  This type of "adaptive pedestrian detection"  could be quite dangerous.

The solution is to limit the pedestrian crossing lengths so a ped crossing won't hijack an intersection.  An intersection with a pedestrian crosswalk that is 225 feet long shouldn't exist.
What can you do with such intersection - make it grade separated($$$), or prohibit crossing?

As for video detectors - I am not saying it needs to be implemented right away, this is just a thought.

cl94

Quote from: kalvado on June 02, 2016, 10:17:36 AM
Quote from: tradephoric on June 02, 2016, 10:06:43 AM

What can you do with such intersection - make it grade separated($$$), or prohibit crossing?

As for video detectors - I am not saying it needs to be implemented right away, this is just a thought.

Put a button in the median and expect people to take 2 cycles to cross.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

tradephoric

Quote from: kalvado on June 02, 2016, 10:17:36 AMWhat can you do with such intersection - make it grade separated($$$), or prohibit crossing?

Convert it as a median U-turn.  It would improve total intersection capacity, allow the signal to run much shorter cycle lengths, and reduces the pedestrian crossings significantly.   And the cost of such a conversion wouldn't be that significant (much less than grade separation).   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TipNpo4eDPA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR2LSVBCsdE

MikeCL

One thing I'm shocked they have not thought of.. I think it's stupid to have to wait for the arrow lights to cycle when you have no traffic in the turning lanes on both sides of the intersection.. some can be kind of long.

tradephoric

^MikeCL, there are plenty of smart signals out there that will skip the left turns when nobody is present.  They have thought of this.

kphoger

Quote from: MikeCL on July 23, 2016, 03:10:31 AM
One thing I'm shocked they have not thought of.. I think it's stupid to have to wait for the arrow lights to cycle when you have no traffic in the turning lanes on both sides of the intersection.. some can be kind of long.

I think we should do away with red lights.  I hate having to stop.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MikeCL on July 23, 2016, 03:10:31 AM

Either there's a problem with the sensors at the intersections you see this issue at, or for whatever reason they have the lights set up to constantly cycle.

But what you think they haven't thought of is technology that's at least 4 decades old and in use throughout the world.

MikeCL

Had this happen again last week another town.. the person in front of me was so scared to move.  But after 4 min you are going to have to stop and yield

iPhone

jakeroot

Quote from: MikeCL on February 14, 2017, 01:36:43 PM
Had this happen again last week another town.. the person in front of me was so scared to move.  But after 4 min you are going to have to stop and yield

There isn't a chance in hell that I'm waiting four minutes for no one. I'd have just gone around.

MikeCL

Quote from: jakeroot on February 14, 2017, 02:22:56 PM
Quote from: MikeCL on February 14, 2017, 01:36:43 PM

There isn't a chance in hell that I'm waiting four minutes for no one. I'd have just gone around.
Not easy when your driving a ups truck!!

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.