News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

moar summer stuff

Started by noelbotevera, June 01, 2016, 10:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

Other than the Richmond, VA area, I have another choice: New York City. I'm a little tired with using the same route, so I wonder if I can avoid traffic jams as much as possible. Here's some road-related things I know:

-Tolls are inevitable. I'm not going all the way up to Albany just to get a free crossing over the Hudson
-Traffic jams are inevitable. Sooner or later I'm gonna be stuck in traffic.
-Delicious button copy hides on FDR Drive and I-278.
-Delicious stubs exist on NY 440, and a sign on the stub.

Non road-related stuff:
-I'll need to get lodging in New Jersey. I'm trying to keep it under $110 a night, so I think New Jersey is suitable.
-I know ferries exist to connect New Jersey and Staten Island.

Questions (road and non-road related):
Are said ferries car ferries? Because I haven't tried that before.
Can I use a MetroCard to use PATH trains to get into NYC? Last time we used PATH we just paid the fare.

Feel free to suggest anything. I'll edit this post to add questions if needed.

jp the roadgeek

Looks like PATH accepts MetroCard on a pay-per-ride basis
http://www.panynj.gov/path/metrocard.html

As far as ferries, all ferries are passenger only in the immediate NYC area. Only ones that allow vehicles are the Bridgeport/Port Jefferson and Orient Point/New London ferries from Long Island to CT, as well as the Shelter Island ferries along NY 114 on far eastern LI.

Bridges and tunnels from the GW south crossing the Hudson and NY Bay are $15 cash (10.50-12.50 EZ Pass depending on time of day) going from NJ to NY.  Goes down to 4.75 for the Tappan Zee Bridge (EB only, now cashless), and $1.50 for Hudson Valley bridges EB only (Bear Mountain, Newburgh/Beacon, Mid Hudson, Kingston-Rhinecliff, Rip Van Winkle) farther upstate.  MTA (mostly East River) bridges and tunnels charge cash rates ($8 for most bridges and tunnels each way, $16 for the Verrazano going to Staten Island only) for non-NY EZ Pass customers.  All crossings to the Bronx from Manhattan except the Henry Hudson Parkway and Triboro Bridges are freebies.  From Manhattan to Brooklyn: the 59th St, Williamsburg, Brooklyn, and Manhattan Bridges are freebies. Only other tolls in the area not for bridges are on the Thruway between Exits 6 and 7A ($1.25) (use the Saw Mill Parkway) and on I-95 NB only in New Rochelle ($1.75) (use the Hutch Parkway to I-287)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

noelbotevera

I'm going down to the Richmond area instead. Nice advice though if I ever return.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.