News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Summer 2017 road trips

Started by noelbotevera, July 13, 2016, 10:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mariethefoxy

MA Route 2 is a wonderful drive, its unbelievably scenic on the western segment after the freeway part ends :)

Honestly if you want to see a more scenic and touristy part of NH, go to Hampton Beach or Seacoast. Nashua is pretty much plain suburbia, I only go there a lot since my best friends live up there.

New York State is not part of New England, nor is New York City or Long Island. Connecticut is kinda wierd, its like New Jersey in some aspects as its in the middle of two main cities despite having its own cities. Geographically yes its part of New England, but the southwest quadrant, West of I-91 and South of I-84 is very much NYC Suburbia so the culture in that aspect is very similar to places like Westchester or Long Island (tho Long Island is it's own animal altogether. Its a strange place compared to the rest of the country, and im sure the other islanders on this board will agree with me)

Now I dont know where you live but this route might be interesting.

from I-95 take the exit for Hutchison River Parkway, take that up to the state line where it becomes CT Route 15/Merrit Parkway. Its a lovely scenic highway. Its breathtaking in the fall when the leaves change. There is aalso a nice mountain tunnel further up. At Exit 68N-E take I-91 North towards Hartford. Stay on I-91 thru Hartford and North into Massachusetts. In Agwam MA there is Six Flags New England Im not sure exactly how to get there. Stay on I-91 to Exit 8 for I-291. If you value your life and safety DO NOT get off at any exits in Springfield, that city is one of the WORST in Massachusetts, crime and urban blight up the wazoo.
Take I-291 to the Mass Pike. Get off at Exit 15 for I-95/MA 128 and get off at Exit 32B Middlesex Turnpike, theres a nice Hilton Garden Inn there somewhere. I remember staying at it. Next day, Get back on 128 North to Route 114 in Peabody and head south into Salem MA. Salem is a lovely little city with lots of interesting magick related stuff. If you want to see boston, go out the way you came and take 128 south to US 1 south, youll see an intersting "Jersey Freeway" then the double decker Tobin Bridge into downtown boston. Go out via I-93 North into New Hampshire, Get off at NH 38 West and head on that till Pelham theres a lovely arcade called hte Pinball Wizard arcade full of old vintage arcade machines and skee ball and stuff. Head back on 38 to I-93 and go north on I-93 to NH 101, take NH 101 EAST across the state to the end into Hampton Beach, walk aroudn the boardwalk, enjoy the beach. head back on 101 to I-95 North and head into Maine, I dont know maine too well so youll have to do some research. Exit out of Maine on 95 South then keep going and take I-495 South, head on I-495 to Exit 29B MA 2 West and take Route 2 all the way across the state to Greenfield then take I-91 south back down to I-95 south, catch a glimpse of the reconstructed New Haven area then head home on I-95 south to whatever roads you take from the George Washington Bridge back to home (I have no idea where you live)

noelbotevera

I live in Southcentral Pennsylvania, so to get home, I would take I-78 to I-81 back home.

mariethefoxy

easier to take I-84 to I-81, bypasses much of the NYC metro area traffic if not all of it. Also the Newburgh Beacon bridge is cheaper than the George Washington bridge

D-Dey65

My first road trip of the year is tomorrow, rather than the Summer of 2017. I will be heading out to Polk County to help some of my relatives move... again. Which means I should bed going to be soon, because they want me early in the morning.

Maybe later on in the year (hopefully before April), I'll be able to head back to the NYC-LI area.

epzik8

My mom, two brothers and I will go to Myrtle Beach like we usually do to visit her mother, and this time it will be for her mother's 95th birthday party, which will also be a family reunion. Instead of taking I-95 most of the way down, we could go through the Delmarva Peninsula, across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, through Virginia's Hampton Roads and eastern North Carolina, and then into South Carolina.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

hbelkins

I don't know that I will be taking any long road trips solely for the sake of road-tripping (county collecting or route clinching) this year. I may take a few short trips in my immediate area.

At this time, I am planning on attending the Twin Cities meet in August, which will be a trip of significant distance.

I'm also hoping to attend at least two other meets that are a decent distance from me. I will have to look at the calendar to figure out which ones.

I also may be taking a class at FEMA's Emergency Management Institute in Emmittsburg, Md., sometime this year. That will be yet another excursion across I-68 if I end up going.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

oscar

I'm scheduled for cataract surgery next month. I might also need some more work on that eye, depending on how the cataract removal goes. Especially with my history of longer-than-expected recoveries from eye surgeries, it'll be a few months before I even start thinking about this year's road trips, though I have some tentative (and conflicting) ideas to work through when I'm ready.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

noelbotevera

I'm hoping to go to Six Flags Great Adventure this year. My brother has applied for at least six colleges, one of them being University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. It shouldn't be a long side trip - it's an hour total (around 30-35 minutes roundtrip).

wanderer2575

Mrs. wanderer and I are planning a road trip in mid-to late April from Detroit to NH/VT/ME.  No big cities and probably nothing touristy; this will be just for the drive and my getting more road sign photos.  I haven't had a chance to start thinking about a route, but looks like a couple good suggestions are already here on this thread.

Rothman

The one big trip we have planned is to fly out to SLC to visit my in-laws and then drive out to Portland, down to San Francisco and then over to Yosemite and then back to SLC.  Haven't worked out the particulars, other than flying out in the third week of June and then having to get to Portland by the 30th and then getting back here on the 6th.  Tight trip.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

I'm not taking any trips for the sake of road tripping as far as I know. Big trips I have planned are the Illinois meet in May, a wedding in South Bend in June and the Twin Cities meet in August. Might use the last one to detour through the UP and get a good portion of I-75 that I'm missing.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

slorydn1

We have done all of the county and road grabbing that was easy to get in one day bites, so this will be the first year of Operation Back In The Day. My wife and I would like to slowly but surely see where we grew up, back in the day (lol).

My parts will be relatively easy. Southwestern lower Michigan/NE Illinois can can be reached from here in a day, and one day back so if we leave 2 days for sight seeing and the like on each trip I'm confident we can fit those in with using minimal amounts of vacation time.

My wife's stomping grounds will be a much bigger deal, and will require alot of time off to do so, especially by car. She grew up in the Lewiston, Idaho area and that's not exactly right around the corner. She spent her final year of childhood not far outside of San Diego, California, too. What we are hoping for there is that my youngest son wants to be a Marine, and maybe he will get sent to San Diego for recruit training and if he does we can check out that area as well. If this happens it would be a fall of 2018 trip, so I guess I am getting ahead of myself here.

I think we can definitely get one or both of my trips done this summer, though.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

D-Dey65

I have a dental appointment sometime in March and my trip to the Tri-State area will hopefully start after that.

1995hoo

My wife was supposed to be attending a convention in Indianapolis in September or October, and she surprisingly agreed to drive out because she thought we could then go to St. Louis to visit friends. The distance from home to St. Louis is within about ten miles of the distance to her sister's house in Florida. I was fine with all this, especially since it presented the opportunity to clinch I-64 on the way home. Now the convention has been moved.....to St. Louis. Not sure we're going to drive out, but the possibility is still there because she's talking about visiting someone else in Chicago, and I then suggested the possibility of going to the Pro Football Hall of Fame on the way home (hey, if I'm going all that way for her trip, I at least get to throw something in for myself.....and as I typed that, I found myself speculating on the idea of going up to Toronto instead to see the Hockey Hall of Fame). Problem is, while they've moved the location they have not set a date, so the whole thing is up in the air.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

epzik8

This is how I'm going to Myrtle Beach from Harford County, Maryland in June.

I-95 from Maryland exit 74 all the way through Maryland, through Virginia and into North Carolina. At about Wilson, North Carolina, my mom plans to hit up Interstate 795 and follow that to Goldsboro, and then she'll take U.S. 117 from there to...I guess that's Alternate 117?...at Calypso, with a stop at the Mount Olive pickle plant along that stretch. That will take us to I-40 and we'll follow that to I-140 just north of Wilmington, and then pick up U.S. 17 and follow that the rest of the way into South Carolina.

Coming back, we'll probably take our usual South Carolina Route 9 to U.S. 701 to NC-410 to U.S./Interstate 74 to I-95 in the Lumberton area.

And by the way, this is going to be for my grandmother's 95th birthday party family reunion. No, "95th" is not a typo.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

TravelingBethelite

My dad and I are headed out to a weather convention/camp in Lincoln, Nebraska, then to his ranch house out in Douglas County, Missouri, for a total of two weeks this June. I'm very excited for it. (But then again, I'm always excited, as far as roadtrips are concerned! :bigass:)
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

D-Dey65

Remember when I said that my road trip is going to take place after I go to the dentist? Well now it's one day after that visit... NEXT WEEK!

:wow:  :-o

US 41

Now that I've had more time to think about it I have decided to take a trip this summer to Saguenay, QC (over 5 days); and then in the Fall I am going to finally going to go to Mazatlan, Mexico (over 8 days). I'm a lot more prepared to do the Mazatlan trip now than I was in the past. I've been meaning to go for several years now, but I've never actually had the opportunity to do it. This year I am going to go for it. I'm going to wait until the fall though, that way I'll have more time to prepare and it will be a little cooler out by then. I'd rather go to Mexico when it's in the 70's and 80's, not in the 90's and 100's. Canada is the complete opposite. I want to go in the summer when it's nice and in the 70's and not in the 30's (or lower). Canada is super easy to prepare for though.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

kphoger

Totally envious of both trips.  I hope you get to do them both.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

The quest for the three remaining National Parks in the lower 48 continues as this one will be reality in August:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=19217.0

cl94

My big road trip for the summer is looking to be Memorial Day weekend to/from the Kankakee meet. Heading out there will involve a bunch of clinching near Cleveland and Chicago plus a stop at the New York Central museum in Elkhart. The way back will have me visiting five state high points and getting a good amount of US 40, plus a possible clinch of US 209 depending on time.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

1995hoo

We've decided to head to Miami (Pembroke Pines, actually, although we'll stay in Weston via a timeshare exchange) to visit relatives. Their kids wanted us to come visit since we didn't see them at Christmas. This year we're taking the Auto Train both ways mainly for convenience.

Our trip to St. Louis that is the subject of a different thread is still in the cards for October, but I haven't really done a lot of serious planning yet.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

D-Dey65

There may be a good excuse for a road trip in August 2017:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/wonder/in-august-2017-america-will-see-its-first-total-solar-eclipse-since-1979/vi-BBAZKT5?ocid=spartandhp

I don't know if I'm going to take one to South Carolina just for this, but it might be good for someone else.

TheHighwayMan3561

I'm considering a 10-day New England trip this summer if I can get the time off I would like to have for it. I haven't worked out any of the particular details yet but it's been 10 years since I was last in the region and I've been itching to return for a long time.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadgeekteen

Not doing much road tripping this summer. Furthest will probably be cape cod or Maine. My families next big vacation will be Disney world in February, but that will most likely be by plane.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.