News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2016 Summer Olympics

Started by Desert Man, August 06, 2016, 06:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

english si

Quote from: nexus73 on August 19, 2016, 08:14:59 PMDespite that, the USA is wiping everyone else out completely in medal count and that is with some of our best staying home over conditions in Rio.
Those 16 gold medals in the pool helped a lot - it's a bit unfair that the sport you are dominant in gives out medals like candy*, whereas the sport us Brits dominate at merges events - Laura Trott, if cycling was like swimming, would be walking out the velodrome with 7 medals, 4 of them gold, not 2 - her coming 1st or 2nd in 5 of the 6 omnium events (which are unique to that event and pretty much all of them are separate events at World Championships) gained her one medal.

Outside of the long and shallow pool, GB has one more gold medal than the USA, China one fewer - that's not to say the USA aren't the best team at Rio (though GB's medals come from 16 different sports, whereas the USA and Germany are second most diverse with 9), but that the running away with it does come down to there being way too many events in the pool.

*Seriously it's like an elementary school sports day where they throw in a ton of wacky races so the kids have fun and have lots to do, the hopping race, the running backwards race, the skipping race, the normal race, the do all four race, the do a relay race, the do a relay race over a longer-distance-that-is-still-pretty-much-a-sprint race, the do all four as a relay race.
QuoteChina is such a distant 2nd
3rd is such a distant second that it's not second at all!
Quotethe UK is right on their heels to boot.
GB is clear enough of China that it can make a little nod to the camera.

jeffandnicole

We like our participation trophies!!!

Desert Man

The 2016 Rio summer olympics closing ceremony is tomorrow. And the next summer olympics will be in Tokyo (Japan) 2020 (actually, 2016 Rio was the 31st, not 30th, summer olympics, my mistake) and the 2018 winter olympics in South Korea. The IOC decidedly gave the 2022 winter olympics to Beijing, China, but I have a strong feeling North Korea might start some war later this decade, and the IOC should relocate all 3 olympics to another continent.

The US olympic team won lots of medals: Michael Phelps has 28 (23 gold) medals now, earns him the title of greatest olympian ever. Congrats Simone Manuel and Simone Biles for their golden victories. And Kim Rhode won her six straight olympics (this time, bronze) in skeet, a type of sport shooting. Locally, Lara Robles from Palm Springs won bronze in weightlifting. And the US men's and women's basketball teams each won another gold against Spain.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

english si

Quote from: Desert Man on August 20, 2016, 08:39:17 AMThe US olympic team won lots of medals: Michael Phelps has 28 (23 gold) medals now, earns him the title of greatest olympian ever.
Most decorated modern (lets ignore the Greek period) olympian, sure, but the greatest? Perhaps not - that he did it over 4 Games goes in his favour, and that freestyle, butterfly and medley are slightly different helps too, but as I said above - the swimming has too many events that are too similar - Phelps gets multiple medals for the same thing.

He's up there sure, but just going by bling fails to account for Ben Ainslie, say, only being able to compete in one event and his 4 golds and a silver from 5 olympics shows an equivalent amount of dominance as Phelps' golds in four olympics. Or Steve Redgrave (who competed in 2 events in '88, which was basically unique in rowing and presumably wasn't allowed afterwards) winning 5 golds and a bronze out of a possible 6 events.

Bolt can only get 3 golds per Olympics (unlike freestyle swimming, there's not a 4x100m and 4x200m relay in running) and he has done that at three games - if he gets them in Tokyo, and Phelps doesn't go/win, surely Bolt's 12 gold medals shows an equivalent amount of dominance and quality as Phelps (and people like Matt Pinsent with four rowing golds from four games), but he has half the bling purely due to the sport he is good at not throwing out medals like crazy.

bing101

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 19, 2016, 03:42:00 PM
Quote from: bing101 on August 19, 2016, 03:33:18 PM
Lochte Scandal is now getting bigger attention at the Olympics than the games itself.

He gave an interview for the ages on my local Philly Fox morning news show in 2013 for a TV show he was starring in (what, you don't remember it?).  Google something like "fox 29 lochte interview", or if you have 6 minutes of your life you don't necessarily want back, watch this youtube video:

You know those people that aren't great public speakers?  Yeah...

Here's a news story written yesterday about that interview: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/entertainment/celebrities_gossip/Remember-when-Good-Day-Philadelphia-mocked-Ryan-Lochte.html

What the Hell is this I never thought being compared to a trashy reality show is that fitting for Lochte. I thought being compared to a trashy really something you say when the scandal is reaching its peak. at now this update has come out that Lochte is the ringleader of the scandal in Brazil. I did not think for one second that Lochte really did have a failed trashy reality show for real.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/swimmer-bentz-lochte-rio_us_57b7c28be4b0b51733a3b942

ZLoth

From AP:

Olympic ghost town: Bills due, venues empty after Rio Games
QuoteRio de Janeiro pulled off last year's Olympics, keeping crime at bay and fending off dire forecasts of corruption, environmental degradation, and cost overruns.

Six months after South America's first games, the floodgates have burst.

Rio organizers still owe creditors about $40 million. Four of the new arenas in the main Olympic Park have failed to find private-sector management, and ownership has passed to the federal government. Another new arena will be run by the cash-strapped city with Brazil stuck in its deepest recession in decades.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.