News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

South Dakota Rest Areas

Started by M86, August 25, 2016, 02:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M86

SDDOT did a study of the rest areas along I-29 and I-90. 
http://sddot.com/transportation/highways/planning/specialstudies/docs/InterstateRestAreaInvestmentStudyFINALReportSeptember2014.pdf

The final report:
http://www.sddot.com/resources/reports/InterstateRestAreaFinalReport.pdf

It's interesting that the Final Report was done by SDDOT and the Department of Tourism, and not the original consulting agency.
Closing the Hidewood I-29 Rest Area is just stupid.  That would put an almost 100 mile gap between rest areas on I-29 in SD.  In that 100 mile gap, there is literally three interchanges that have services next to I-29.

SD Mapman

Quote from: M86 on August 25, 2016, 02:21:21 AM
Closing the Hidewood I-29 Rest Area is just stupid.  That would put an almost 100 mile gap between rest areas on I-29 in SD.  In that 100 mile gap, there is literally three interchanges that have services next to I-29.
Wouldn't there be Watertown and Brookings?
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

M86

Quote from: SD Mapman on August 25, 2016, 01:53:10 PM
Quote from: M86 on August 25, 2016, 02:21:21 AM
Wouldn't there be Watertown and Brookings?
Cities do not equal rest areas.  And both cities only have one exit with services directly next to I-29.
I know exactly how the SDDOT is doing this study.  I've seen rest areas along Interstates elsewhere close, in Missouri as an example.

I just hate to see it here since we're such a rural state.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.