Traffic signal with right turn yield

Started by briantroutman, September 10, 2016, 12:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briantroutman

There's an intersection I encounter frequently that essentially functions as a three-way (the fourth leg is little more than a service lane for a few isolated homes) and is governed by a traffic signal. The turning movement from north to east is given a right turn lane which isn't physically channelized but is clearly delineated by markings around the corner. The stop bar cuts across all three northbound lanes–the left turn lane, the through lane, and this right lane–yet the right lane is also posted with a yield sign.

So if you're driving northbound and turn east here, you're confronted with a red light and stop bar...but also lane markings that round the corner and a yield sign. Are you supposed to stop first? As far as I'm concerned, the stop bar and lack of channelization are the deciding factors here: You do have to stop. What do you think?

The opposing direction has a protected left turn phase, so ostensibly, this yield sign was intended to prevent north-to-east drivers from stealing the opposing traffic's right of way, but even outside of the protected phase, this yield sign is still there, so legally, you (making the right turn) have to yield to someone making an unprotected left.

Intersections like this are perhaps responsible for further decaying what little understanding of RIGHT ON RED AFTER STOP Floridians ever had.

kphoger

My opinion is that either the Yield sign or the stop bar should be removed, as they contradict each other.  Unless stop bars are OK to put with Yield signs.  If I were driving, I would stop, treating the Yield sign as erroneous.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

epzik8

Could be a stop and then yield, but I'm probably wrong.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Aerobird

Belatedly, having looked at the intersection here, I think I understand why there is a stop bar and a yield sign, and that both are, in fact, accurate and appropriate - because they're serving two different purposes.

The stop bar is a normal stop bar for the intersection. The light's red, you stop. Simple.

The yield sign...notice how far around the corner it is? I'm pretty sure that its purpose is that when traffic has already turned, it is supposed to yield to any vehicles making the south>east left turn - its a yield for merging, basically, not for the turn itself.

Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.