News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Freeway names used in conversation but not signed (anymore)

Started by DTComposer, October 14, 2016, 02:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bickendan

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on October 19, 2016, 12:26:50 AM
[snip]

Some other non-freeway designations in the area:

• OR-224/Sunrise Expressway - This just opened. I think it's called the "Sunrise Expressway," but I don't know for sure.
  • OR-99W - The former portion from Portland to Tigard was called "Barbur Blvd." I've also heard "Pacific Highway" and "99W" -- "ninety-nine w" from Tigard southward.
  • Pretty much any state/US route that runs on city streets is called by its street name, almost never by its number.
  • At least in the Portland area, "the freeway" means any freeway or freeways you could use to get to where you need to go. If I'm in Troutdale and need to go to Oregon City or Beaverton, I'd say I need to take the freeway to those places, despite needing to take multiple freeways to get there. When giving directions, "the freeway" is the closest freeway to where you are.
  • And again -- if you use "the (number)" for any freeway, you might as well hold up a sign saying "transplant".
I've been in Oregon since 1989, and I'll call it "the x", lol

The nice thing about Oregon highways is that they're all named, even if it's an uninspired name like the Amity-Dayton Highway. The names just correspond with the internal highway numbers opposed to the signed route numbers.

bzakharin

I-676 in Philadelphia is also not signed as The Vine Expressway. Other examples in that area are "The Boulevard Extension" for part of US 1 and (I've only heard this one once in a traffic report) "The Superhighway" for another part of US 1.

Regarding the 42 freeway, it's not exactly what the "North-South Freeway" was (is?) since the former follows I-76 to the Walt Whitman Bridge, while the latter follows I-676.

Regarding the Blue Route, how did this name seep into the public consciousness given that none of the other colored routes were ever built? Were the various color alternatives ever published in a widely used public map?

PHLBOS

Quote from: bzakharin on October 20, 2016, 02:59:48 PMRegarding the 42 freeway, it's not exactly what the "North-South Freeway" was (is?) since the former follows I-76 to the Walt Whitman Bridge, while the latter follows I-676.
See my previous post regarding the North-South Freeway.  When it was originally planned, it was intended to be one route (Relocated Route 42); but a thing called the Interstate Highway Act of 1956 happened prior to the highway being actually built. 

Quote from: bzakharin on October 20, 2016, 02:59:48 PMRegarding the Blue Route, how did this name seep into the public consciousness given that none of the other colored routes were ever built? Were the various color alternatives ever published in a widely used public map?
The color-coded corridors in the planning documents that were available to the general public at the time were treated in the same way that alternative/scheme proposal designations are in other highway/rail corridor proposals (i.e. Alternate 1A or Scheme Z).  One & only one corridor was to be selected.  Obviously, the blue corridor (or blue route) was the one that was ultimately chosen.

One reason why the name lingered was due to the fact that construction of most of the highway was delayed about 15 years.  All of it was originally planned to be completed by 1976.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Rothman on October 18, 2016, 03:29:33 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 17, 2016, 06:32:32 PM
If you count conversations only had involving public officials, "Boston Extension" could go on this list. The Mass Pike was originally built to Route 128 in the 50s, then extended into Boston in the 60s.  Old maps mention the Massachusetts Turnpike extension, but most people make no distinction at this point.  Especially because it is handled under a separate cost center than the rest of the turnpike, there are numerous references to the Extension made in hearings and other discussions with state transportation officials.

Huh.  When I was a kid in the 1980s, to hear about "The Extension" was still commonplace.  Not so sure about now, but the term lingered for a long time.

It has waned considerably, along with "128." 

Even "Mass Pike" has lost a little ground among waves of newcomers to "Ninety."

SignBridge

And in neighboring Connecticut the Connecticut Turnpike abolished their tolls about 30 years ago. Nowadays it's only signed as I-95 and I think that's what most people call it.

Also the Merritt Parkway is signed as Ct-15, but I believe it is still widely known as the Merritt Parkway. 

thenetwork

Quote from: SignBridge on October 22, 2016, 10:13:35 PM
And in neighboring Connecticut the Connecticut Turnpike abolished their tolls about 30 years ago. Nowadays it's only signed as I-95 and I think that's what most people call it.

Also the Merritt Parkway is signed as Ct-15, but I believe it is still widely known as the Merritt Parkway. 

Same with US-36 and the Boulder Turnpike in Denver.

vdeane

The Merritt Parkway is still signed in its own right too.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

The Merritt is definitely signed. Shields that look like the US Route shield.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SignBridge

coldshoulder

This one (Ohio 711) very close to me in the Youngstown-Girard area in Northeastern Ohio I don't think was ever actually signed as such, but it is commonly referred to as "The 711 Connector". 

Likely because the newest 2-mile stretch, opened in 2004, had been on the books as a proposed project for over 40 years, and had never been completed.  The entire 711 freeway is only about 3 miles long, connecting Youngstown to Ohio 11-North and ultimately the city of Warren, along with I-80 East.  At its southerly terminus it intersects with I-680, with access to Cleveland, and especially  Pittsburgh and other points south.

This has also been occasionally referred to in print, incorrectly, as "The '7-11' Connector".

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.13271,-80.6653607,4649m/data=!3m1!1e3

You're just like crosstown traffic
All you do is slow me down
And I got better things on the other side of town

plain

I've heard some old heads still call I-95 between Richmond and Petersburg "The Turnpike" even though tolls have been gone for 25 years now. And most maps (including Google) still has it labeled as Richmond Petersburg Tpk.

Most maps also has the Connecticut Tpk. labeled as such.
Newark born, Richmond bred

cpzilliacus

Quote from: plain on October 23, 2016, 08:48:38 PM
I've heard some old heads still call I-95 between Richmond and Petersburg "The Turnpike" even though tolls have been gone for 25 years now. And most maps (including Google) still has it labeled as Richmond Petersburg Tpk.

I believe the current official VDOT map still labels it as the RTP.

Most maps also has the Connecticut Tpk. labeled as such.

WCBS-880 traffic reports routinely call it the Connecticut Turnpike and not I-95.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cl94

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 23, 2016, 09:17:54 PM
WCBS-880 traffic reports routinely call it the Connecticut Turnpike and not I-95.

Everyone I've heard talk about that road refers to it as the Turnpike, lack of tolls be damned.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

1995hoo

Not on the latest one, unless I'm overlooking something. (I haven't picked up a new paper Virginia map in at least ten years.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

plain

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 23, 2016, 09:29:19 PM

Not on the latest one, unless I'm overlooking something. (I haven't picked up a new paper Virginia map in at least ten years.)

I haven't picked up the state issued map in a few years either.. I was wondering about that. Are they still available at the rest areas?

cl94

Quote from: plain on October 23, 2016, 10:51:38 PM

I haven't picked up the state issued map in a few years either.. I was wondering about that. Are they still available at the rest areas?

Not marked on the current map. I have a paper copy. They are at the welcome centers.

1995hoo

BTW, I believe the VDOT building at the VA-10 exit retains the "Richmond—Petersburg Turnpike" sign on the outside.

If you said "RTP" these days, some people would associate it with the Research Triangle Park in North Carolina, a tad over two hours south of Petersburg.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PHLBOS

Actually, there's still a couple of signs along I-287 in neighboring NY that still list Conn Tpke as a control destination for/along I-95.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

plain

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 24, 2016, 07:31:50 AM
BTW, I believe the VDOT building at the VA-10 exit retains the "Richmond—Petersburg Turnpike" sign on the outside.

Yep, still there. I don't think that's ever going away  :-D

The Nature Boy

Quote from: vdeane on October 23, 2016, 05:45:45 PM

The Merritt Parkway is still signed in its own right too.

It's not just signed, it's also indicated on the welcome sign at the state border.

cpzilliacus

You are right!  No mention of the RTP and no mention of Henry G. Shirley either.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Tom958

epzik8

Quote from: epzik8 on October 17, 2016, 04:49:42 PM
The John F. Kennedy Memorial Highway, which is I-95 between the I-895 merge/split just outside of Baltimore and the Delaware state line. I consider it my home stretch of Interstate.
Check that; along Maryland Route 462 just north of Aberdeen the I-95 overpass is labeled JFK Memorial Highway.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

plain

I just thought of another one... I-69 in Kentucky is gonna be called its former parkway names for decades to come... ha!!  :-D

doorknob60

I-184 in Boise is always called "The Connector". I don't really ever hear "I-184" or "184". Even a lot of the signs westbound from downtown just say "to I-84, I-184". Never seen "The Connector" written on any sign though.

I-84 around here is generally called "I-84", "84", or just "the freeway".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.