News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tangerine Road outside of Oro Valley is like CA 138 with many ups and downs.

Started by ACSCmapcollector, November 29, 2016, 02:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACSCmapcollector

I have noticed in my past travels with my parents to Oro Valley from Visalia, CA that Tangerine Road outside of Oro Valley is like CA 138 with many ups and downs. As to say bumps in the two lane roadway, I am sure that Pima County has fixed that by now in that part of the desert.  To my Uncle and Aunt's house in Del Webb Tucson.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on November 29, 2016, 02:37:41 PM
I have noticed in my past travels with my parents to Oro Valley from Visalia, CA that Tangerine Road outside of Oro Valley is like CA 138 with many ups and downs. As to say bumps in the two lane roadway, I am sure that Pima County has fixed that by now in that part of the desert.  To my Uncle and Aunt's house in Del Webb Tucson.

Yes becuase the road is uneven, and was built like that.

coatimundi

Regarding your ups and downs: this is how the desert is due to the way water drains within it. There are a number of roads throughout both the Sonoran and Mojave Deserts that are like this, including many around Tucson and Phoenix.

Regarding Tangerine Road, it is a state highway, though is not signed as such: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_State_Route_989
It was originally planned as a partial Tucson beltway.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: coatimundi on November 29, 2016, 04:27:14 PM
Regarding your ups and downs: this is how the desert is due to the way water drains within it. There are a number of roads throughout both the Sonoran and Mojave Deserts that are like this, including many around Tucson and Phoenix.

Regarding Tangerine Road, it is a state highway, though is not signed as such: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_State_Route_989

Nothing on the link but a white screen.

hotdogPi

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on November 29, 2016, 06:58:40 PM

I'm getting the link just fine.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: 1 on November 29, 2016, 06:59:30 PM
Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on November 29, 2016, 06:58:40 PM

I'm getting the link just fine.

What is the point to have it signed when it doesn't exist as a state route?

coatimundi

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on November 29, 2016, 07:13:16 PM

Many states have unsigned routes.

hotdogPi

Quote from: coatimundi on November 29, 2016, 07:35:06 PM

This is the opposite: it is signed, but the route does not exist. (I can't believe I'm defending ACSCmapcollector.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

corco

Except it's not signed and it doesn't exist. It was decommissioned a couple years ago. It was never signed. It went from being an unsigned state highway to an unsigned non-state highway.

I don't get what the point of this conversation is.

I used to drive Tangerine Road in its entirety roughly weekly. It's not that interesting.

Alps

One time I drove in Arizona and there were cacti. I think I ate a small piece of one because I knew you could do that.

coatimundi

Quote from: 1 on November 29, 2016, 07:39:24 PM
Quote from: coatimundi on November 29, 2016, 07:35:06 PM

This is the opposite: it is signed, but the route does not exist. (I can't believe I'm defending ACSCmapcollector.)

Wh... What?

First: poor Scott (who makes me believe more and more every time he appears that he is actually a genius of a troll) said nothing about the route being signed. He just questioned the logic of an unsigned.

Second: Where did you get the idea that it is (or was, at some point) signed? I've driven the road several times in its entirety, and I can tell you, from looking at it and knowing the history, that the only state route markers are when you approach Oracle, and those are for 77. The route has never been signed.
I only originally found out about the state route designation because the local Tucson paper ran a couple of articles that referenced it while I lived there. This is one. Another gave more of a history on its designation, but I can't find that one now. But, overall, the "Road Runner" series in the Daily Star is a real treasure trove of local Tucson road information, mostly coming directly from the sources (ADOT and other relevant agencies).

Sonic99

I believe it was only an "official" state highway for a mile or so to get a bridge built. It was always unsigned, then i think officially taken off the roster a few years back. 789 or something like that.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

Zonie

Quote from: Sonic99 on November 30, 2016, 02:50:01 AM
I believe it was only an "official" state highway for a mile or so to get a bridge built. It was always unsigned, then i think officially taken off the roster a few years back. 789 or something like that.

Right, but still active as a state route.  Some background:

https://arizonaroads.com/arizona/az989.html

coatimundi

Quote from: Zonie on November 30, 2016, 03:10:23 PM

Right, but still active as a state route.  Some background:

https://arizonaroads.com/arizona/az989.html

Yep, 989 is still active. At least as of 2015: https://www.azdot.gov/docs/default-source/planning/2015msbooklet.pdf?sfvrsn=2

And I wish I could find that other article because it talked about some of the other ones, specifically Houghton and Sahuarita Roads.

Max Rockatansky

789 was part of a proposed US 789 that ran from the Mexican to Canadian Border.  The last trace of the idea is basically just WY 789.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.