News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

AHTD considering a new name

Started by froggie, January 09, 2017, 10:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjrush

Sorry, not trying to be insulting. I was the poster who said Razorback Transit. I was not suggesting it as a renaming of AHTD.

Here is a new Razorback Transit bus. The system serves the UA campus and surrounding areas in Fayetteville. Bus service is free

Here is the part of AHTD responsible for public transit
http://www.ahtd.arkansas.gov/public_transportation/public_transportation.aspx

Here is a link to the 2016 Arkansas Public Transportation Directory. It has lots of good info in it.
https://www.ahtd.state.ar.us/public_transportation/Current_PT_Directory.pdf
Woo Pig Sooie

kphoger

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on May 11, 2017, 11:15:34 PM
AHTD (D-6) ... said that they did not directly influence public transport within Little Rock, so why would they throughout the rest of the state?

Seriously?  You just extrapolated what you learned about Little Rock to be true for the entire state?   :banghead:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2017, 11:43:32 AM
AHTD (D-6) ... said that they did not directly influence public transport within Little Rock, so why would they throughout the rest of the state?

Seriously?  You just extrapolated what you learned about Little Rock to be true for the entire state?   :banghead:

It does say, "It is also important to note that the responsibility for transit planning, funding, and operations is primarily the responsibility of the local transit agency", so it is reasonable to infer that they do not get involved with city transit. If you feel me citing my own creditable source for information upsets you, you may leave this topic to gather yourself to a more professional standard for yourself.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

kphoger

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on April 28, 2017, 03:39:27 PM
AHTD is not responsible for public transportation

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on May 12, 2017, 12:34:42 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2017, 11:43:32 AM

It does say, "It is also important to note that the responsibility for transit planning, funding, and operations is primarily the responsibility of the local transit agency", so it is reasonable to infer that they do not get involved with city transit. If you feel me citing my own creditable source for information upsets you, you may leave this topic to gather yourself to a more professional standard for yourself.

No, leaving the primary responsibility to another agency is not the same thing as saying they do not get involved.  That's sort of like saying my boss is not involved in the work I do.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Ladies and Gentlemen, the new AHTD (beginning July 31)

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

I-39

Quote from: US71 on June 09, 2017, 12:04:25 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, the new AHTD (beginning July 31)

Hopefully, they will redo their website along with the new name change.

bugo

TheArkansasRoadgeek

jakeroot

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on June 09, 2017, 09:31:27 PM
Classic DOT font!

No kidding. Very 80s-esque, with the gaps in the letter shapes, and the italicisation. I'm not a fan.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: jakeroot on June 10, 2017, 12:01:36 AM
Classic DOT font!

No kidding. Very 80s-esque, with the gaps in the letter shapes, and the italicisation. I'm not a fan.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't FL:DOT have a similar style? I am not bringning this up out of a "conflict of interest" need, but merely a choice in style for AH-Ahem AR:DOT.

jakeroot

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on June 10, 2017, 12:42:03 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on June 10, 2017, 12:01:36 AM
Classic DOT font!

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't FL:DOT have a similar style? I am not bringning this up out of a "conflict of interest" need, but merely a choice in style for AH-Ahem AR:DOT.

FDOT has large "DOT" letters, but they're not italicised. They too use the state shape, but it's off to the right. All told, similar, but not really dead-ringing similar.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

It seems they cheaped out on this design! I like the AHTD logo for the effort in the lettering. I could make their new logo in Inkscape!

english si

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on April 24, 2017, 03:22:34 PMMinistry... Too UK.
We renamed Ministries as Departments a long time ago (60s?) and most were never called that: Home Office, Office of Foreign Affairs, HM Treasury (OK, those three are special ones), War Office (now Department of Defense), etc. Transport is the only one I can think of that was a Ministry, and Transport Minister is about the only Minister with a Department that isn't <x> Secretary, despite - like all the others (save Chancellor), having the official title of Secretary of State for <x>, which might get termed Minister for <x>.

To be good and UK-esque, there were the following options:
Department for Transport (the Ministerial department, which is GB-wide but with very limited powers over Wales and Scotland as Transport is devolved)
Transport Arkansas (cf Wales, Scotland)
Transport for Arkansas (cf London, Greater Manchester, Buckinghamshire)

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on June 10, 2017, 03:51:10 AM
It seems they cheaped out on this design! I like the AHTD logo for the effort in the lettering. I could make their new logo in Inkscape!

Maybe someone did ;)

Bobby5280

The "DOT" lettering is indeed a bit dated looking, like 80's sci-fi or something. What makes this logo worse is their insistence of including tiny "Arkansas Department of Transportation" lettering into the design and making the Arkansas state shape too complicated. Both of those choices will limit this logo only being set at relatively large sizes. You can't shrink it to a small size in a layout without a bunch of the details turning into illegible mud. The state shape looks like it was retrieved from an element of geography clip art. They could have done something more creative with it (and simplify that Mississippi River coast line in the process).

TheArkansasRoadgeek

I wonder how long it'll take them to rebrand the fleet vehicles with the new logo. :hmmm:
Do you think they'll phase them out? I have my doubts, because I saw a dodge truck going down going down Garrison Avenue. It looked in style. Not like the fleet of Fords used by District 6.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Bobby5280 on June 10, 2017, 04:56:31 PM
The "DOT" lettering is indeed a bit dated looking, like 80's sci-fi or something. What makes this logo worse is their insistence of including tiny "Arkansas Department of Transportation" lettering into the design and making the Arkansas state shape too complicated. Both of those choices will limit this logo only being set at relatively large sizes. You can't shrink it to a small size in a layout without a bunch of the details turning into illegible mud. The state shape looks like it was retrieved from an element of geography clip art. They could have done something more creative with it (and simplify that Mississippi River coast line in the process).

I hope this design is still concept art! If so, I could send some of my own concepts their way. Hehe.

US71

They still owe me a hat for all the sign corrections I've sent them  :spin:

Bobby5280

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeekI wonder how long it'll take them to rebrand the fleet vehicles with the new logo.

With this design, all the vinyl graphics will have to be digitally printed and probably sport white backgrounds. That will kind of stink if a bunch of their vehicles are not white. They might be able to get by applying a contour cut white outline around the whole thing.

Doing traditional computer cut vinyl with that artwork would be a nightmare. If we're talking about normal logos on vehicle doors the "Arkansas Department of Transportation" lettering would be microscopic and very difficult to weed out of a roll of cut vinyl. The same goes for the state shape with the overly complex coast details.

Obviously this new logo was designed by someone with little, if any experience doing any sign work. I have quite a lot of experience working with vinyl graphics (designing it, cutting it, weeding it and applying it). When you're familiar with the limitations involved in vinyl graphics and familiar with legibility requirements of outdoor signs you'll do more than merely think about what looks cool on the computer screen.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Bobby5280 on June 11, 2017, 12:43:23 AM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeekI wonder how long it'll take them to rebrand the fleet vehicles with the new logo.

With this design, all the vinyl graphics will have to be digitally printed and probably sport white backgrounds. That will kind of stink if a bunch of their vehicles are not white. They might be able to get by applying a contour cut white outline around the whole thing.

Doing traditional computer cut vinyl with that artwork would be a nightmare. If we're talking about normal logos on vehicle doors the "Arkansas Department of Transportation" lettering would be microscopic and very difficult to weed out of a roll of cut vinyl. The same goes for the state shape with the overly complex coast details.

Obviously this new logo was designed by someone with little, if any experience doing any sign work. I have quite a lot of experience working with vinyl graphics (designing it, cutting it, weeding it and applying it). When you're familiar with the limitations involved in vinyl graphics and familiar with legibility requirements of outdoor signs you'll do more than merely think about what looks cool on the computer screen.
Our fleet vehicles are white!  :banghead: :sombrero: :clap:

I wish they would have thought of something cool, like a quality of Arkansas to display, as well and obviously a better state silhouette. Why didn't they reused the one from the AHTD logo and change the color?  :confused: :banghead:

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on June 11, 2017, 10:42:08 AM

I wish they would have thought of something cool, like a quality of Arkansas to display, as well and obviously a better state silhouette. Why didn't they reused the one from the AHTD logo and change the color?  :confused: :banghead:

It would take thought?

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on June 11, 2017, 12:33:21 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on June 11, 2017, 10:42:08 AM

It would take thought?
Well, just like Bobby mentioned in the I-69 in Arkansas thread, they already have tons of assets for any further graphic design needs. They just need to use them. To me that is 't to much thinking time taken up by deciding where to pull assets from.

vdeane

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on June 10, 2017, 04:57:11 PM
I wonder how long it'll take them to rebrand the fleet vehicles with the new logo. :hmmm:
If they're like NY, they won't.  Our fleet still has many, many vehicles with the flying T on it.  Any that say "NY State of Opportunity" were bought after Cuomo ordered nearly every agency rebranded.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

I-39

What took so long for Arkansas to rename their transportation department anyway? Arkansas Highway & Transportation Department sounds very early-mid 20th century-ish.

jakeroot

Quote from: I-39 on June 11, 2017, 09:16:50 PM
What took so long for Arkansas to rename their transportation department anyway? Arkansas Highway & Transportation Department sounds very early-mid 20th century-ish.

As the responsibilities of "highway departments" grew over time, most agencies morphed into a "transportation department", because they managed more than just highways. From the looks of things, AHTD didn't really do much more than highways, so the name stuck. Lately, it looks like they've gotten into public transport, so a more befitting name was adopted.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.