News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

States that suck at signing

Started by OCGuy81, January 28, 2017, 11:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 16, 2017, 10:35:28 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 16, 2017, 10:32:57 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on February 16, 2017, 07:58:07 AM
does nevada sign any of their state roads?

Extensively, and they even have specific numbers for; primary, secondary, and urban.  NDOT even tries to lump similar numbers into areas, really all of it is quite good.
So it's just the urban areas that are badly signed?

Have any specific instances?  I've found the signage to be adequate aside from maybe some stuff in Vegas that may or may not have been relinquished.

silverback1065

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 16, 2017, 10:37:17 AM

Extensively, and they even have specific numbers for; primary, secondary, and urban.  NDOT even tries to lump similar numbers into areas, really all of it is quite good.

Have any specific instances?  I've found the signage to be adequate aside from maybe some stuff in Vegas that may or may not have been relinquished.
I was just curious, it didn't look like Vegas was signed well, but I guess I wasn't looking in the right places. Is las Vegas Blvd still a state road?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 16, 2017, 10:42:00 AM

I was just curious, it didn't look like Vegas was signed well, but I guess I wasn't looking in the right places. Is las Vegas Blvd still a state road?

It can get choppy, but I've only really seen it like that in Vegas.  I think a lot of it has to do with reliquishment, Las Vegas Blvd for example is only part of State Route 604 for about 12 miles.

roadfro

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 16, 2017, 10:44:35 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on February 16, 2017, 10:42:00 AM

It can get choppy, but I've only really seen it like that in Vegas.  I think a lot of it has to do with reliquishment, Las Vegas Blvd for example is only part of State Route 604 for about 12 miles.

NDOT usually very good about signing most of its highways. At minimum, the beginning and end points of practically all state highways are signed (with exception of some routes in the secondary tier [700-800 series numbers], especially the shorter and urban routes). Junctions are usually signed as well in the rural areas (again, with exception of some routes in the secondary tier).

However, reassurance and junction signage is often lacking along urban routes [500-600 series numbers]. Urban state route shields are typically omitted from BGSs along freeways as well–in fact, most state route shields are omitted from urban freeway signage unless the route actually extends some distance outside the urban area.

Las Vegas Blvd is only partially SR 604, due to relinquishments. Virtually none of the state-maintained part of LV Blvd lies along the Strip portion. There is a small segment bounding the intersection of Tropicana Avenue, which I believe is due to NDOT still maintaining the pedestrian bridges at this intersection (NDOT is currently updating/modernizing the pedestrian bridges and will turn them over to the county–I imagine this segment of LV Blvd will be relinquished soon after). Other than that, the main segment of SR 604 begins well north of downtown Las Vegas–probably once it crosses into North Las Vegas and points north all the way to Apex.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

TheOneKEA

Prior to the Clearview era, MDOT SHA's signage failures generally consisted of missing trailblazers, missing BEGIN/END route markers, missing BEGIN/END STATE MAINTENANCE markers, and having at least three different, yet ugly designs for trailblazers and route markers on BGSes. Once Clearview came along, you could add hilariously awful kerning, weird letter spacing, really weird letter sizing, inconsistent margins, weird InterCaps usage, weird temporary signage when a BGS gantry comes down, and some really weird mile marker totems (Exhibit A: MD 200!).

architect77

Here are scenes from Atlanta, GA and one from NC to show the contrast.

Atlanta ranks as one of the fastest growing cities post the Great Recession.

Literally tens of billions of dollars of new private development, company HQs, and high rises going up in every direction.

The tax revenue has to be increasing by several million dollars per month or quarter.

Meanwhile, basic maintenance by City of Atlanta and GDOT is at an all-time low.

Georgia can't even be bothered to replace faded tiny lane signs, and look at how they place them:

These faded, peeling signs weren't replaced despite being at ground zero of a major flyover addition project recently completed.

Then they cluster and overlap the lane signs, thus serving no purpose whatsoever.

Just 2 miles from the GDOT district office:

Beeper1

How as Rhode Island not been mentioned yet?

They fail every possible signing quality standard.  Routes are signed horribly inconsistently, both in urban and rural areas. Many junctions lack any signage at all.  The quality of the signs themselves, physically, look cheap and flimsy. The typefaces are all over place. BGSs are almost never replaced, with damaged ones replaced by tiny LGSs that are way too small for the road speeds.

Gnutella

Quote from: architect77 on February 28, 2017, 08:28:59 PM
Here are scenes from Atlanta, GA and one from NC to show the contrast.

Atlanta ranks as one of the fastest growing cities post the Great Recession.

Literally tens of billions of dollars of new private development, company HQs, and high rises going up in every direction.

The tax revenue has to be increasing by several million dollars per month or quarter.

Meanwhile, basic maintenance by City of Atlanta and GDOT is at an all-time low.

Georgia can't even be bothered to replace faded tiny lane signs, and look at how they place them:

These faded, peeling signs weren't replaced despite being at ground zero of a major flyover addition project recently completed.

Then they cluster and overlap the lane signs, thus serving no purpose whatsoever.

Just 2 miles from the GDOT district office:

Away from metro Atlanta, one thing that annoys me about Georgia is that there's no signage consistency with "business," "bypass," "connector" or "truck" routes.

jbnv

Quote from: EdM on February 11, 2017, 05:36:29 PM
Another state that sucks is Louisiana. Half the time their route markers are not posted, or only very discreetly so, especially in the New Orleans area. Here is an example.

Louisiana has a major problem with consistency. Just browse collections of shields to see. We also have problems with peeling numbers on the shields.

Clearview generally improved the quality of our signage, once we figured to how to use it. Even the "improper use" signs that people loved to hate on this forum didn't look nearly as bad as the haters claim. But by the time, they finally figured out how to make good signs with Clearview, the idiots in Washington revoked it and the idiots in Baton Rouge followed suit. Now they're cranking out ugly mixed-case Highway Gothic on the smaller signs.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

hbelkins

Quote from: jbnv on March 06, 2017, 12:25:21 PM
Clearview generally improved the quality of our signage, once we figured to how to use it. Even the "improper use" signs that people loved to hate on this forum didn't look nearly as bad as the haters claim. But by the time, they finally figured out how to make good signs with Clearview, the idiots in Washington revoked it and the idiots in Baton Rouge followed suit. Now they're cranking out ugly mixed-case Highway Gothic on the smaller signs.

Kentucky and Virginia both traditionally used upper case on signs listing town names on its non-interstates and parkways. But mixed case is now in the MUTCD and both states suddenly have a love affair with that provision of the MUTCD while ignoring other parts.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Buck87

Quote from: Buck87 on February 08, 2017, 01:57:19 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 08, 2017, 02:11:44 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on February 07, 2017, 07:35:07 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on February 05, 2017, 08:15:49 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 04, 2017, 11:31:49 PM
I don't think most states sign the ends of highways. The first time I ever saw the practice was in West Virginia. To me it seems to be the exception rather than the norm. Kentucky doesn't, and neither do our neighbors Virginia, Tennessee or Missouri. I don't think Illinois does it consistently. Indiana, Ohio and West Virginia are the only neighboring states that do it on a statewide basis.

Interesting, I'm so used to seeing them I never would have thought of it as being something that's somewhat rare. Ohio does do a good job posting route end signs, though I didn't notice the other day that there isn't one at US 250's end at US 6 in Sandusky. 

There USED to be...

I took this photo almost exactly a year ago -- it's gone now?!

Yeah, it's gone now...

Update on US 250 in Sandusky, they have now installed a new "END" sign at its intersection at US 6

VS986

cpzilliacus

Quote from: TheOneKEA on February 20, 2017, 10:12:10 PM
and some really weird mile marker totems (Exhibit A: MD 200!).

The mileposts along MD-200 (ICC) are consistent with the federal MUTCD (but not the state supplement, which strikes mileposts every 1/10th of a mile) and with the way that most other Maryland toll roads and toll crossings are posted.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Rover_0

Quote from: Buck87 on April 13, 2017, 12:08:22 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on February 08, 2017, 01:57:19 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 08, 2017, 02:11:44 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on February 07, 2017, 07:35:07 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on February 05, 2017, 08:15:49 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 04, 2017, 11:31:49 PM
I don't think most states sign the ends of highways. The first time I ever saw the practice was in West Virginia. To me it seems to be the exception rather than the norm. Kentucky doesn't, and neither do our neighbors Virginia, Tennessee or Missouri. I don't think Illinois does it consistently. Indiana, Ohio and West Virginia are the only neighboring states that do it on a statewide basis.

Interesting, I'm so used to seeing them I never would have thought of it as being something that's somewhat rare. Ohio does do a good job posting route end signs, though I didn't notice the other day that there isn't one at US 250's end at US 6 in Sandusky. 

There USED to be...

I took this photo almost exactly a year ago -- it's gone now?!

Yeah, it's gone now...

Update on US 250 in Sandusky, they have now installed a new "END" sign at its intersection at US 6

VS986

That "END US 250" sign warms my heart.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.