News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Haunted roads

Started by cjk374, February 19, 2017, 07:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Max Rockatansky

Dangerousroads.org has a pretty extensive collection of haunted roads/ghost stories if that's your thing:

http://www.dangerousroads.org/component/search/?searchword=haunted&searchphrase=all&Itemid=120

It seems like most of the good stories really come from the Northeast on really old routes that became roadways.  There was one about US 666 in Arizona but it you'll get that with the route number and infamy of the terrain on the Coronado Trail. 

ET21

Somewhat of a haunted road (more like a section), there's the Resurrection Mary story where her hitchhiking ghost haunts Archer Ave (IL-171) from Roberts Road to about Willow Springs Road in Willow Springs and Justice IL. This story got renewed attention when the Willowbrook Ballroom (where the story of Mary begins) burned down the weekend of Halloween last year.

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-quirk/2011/10/meet-chicagos-most-famous-ghost-resurrection-mary/

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

crt08

Around here County Line Road at the ghost town of Bereah comes to mind. I can remember my grandmother telling about how people out there would supposedly see the "spook light" approaching in their yards or nearby woods at night. Supposedly if you sat at the intersection of County Line Rd and W Bereah Rd late at night, the ghost lights would soon appear. Not sure if people still do or not, it was just a story people used to tell.

SectorZ

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/massachusetts/haunted-road-ma/

This road in Billerica and Bedford MA has always had a lore that is explained in the link. Oddly enough, the road name, Dudley, shares a name with the haunted village of Dudleytown in Connecticut, though that connection is merely coincidental.

Rothman

Quote from: SectorZ on January 01, 2020, 04:04:23 PM
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/massachusetts/haunted-road-ma/

This road in Billerica and Bedford MA has always had a lore that is explained in the link. Oddly enough, the road name, Dudley, shares a name with the haunted village of Dudleytown in Connecticut, though that connection is merely coincidental.
And then there's Dudleyville, MA which isn't haunted at all. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Laura

True story - me and a friend were driving about 10-15 years ago across the Loch Raven Reservoir bridge on MD 146 when we saw this large, unusual, egg shaped balloon rise up over the bridge and into the sky. We were both weirded out and terrified by it, but didn't jump to any paranormal conclusions until we found out that there was a famous incident 50 years prior near the same spot... https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/baltimore-county/towson/ph-tt-loch-raven-ufo-1024-story.html

roadman65

The Sunshine Skyway has stories in Florida.  Like the ghost of the Greyhound Bus that was mentioned in a show on cable of unexplained occurences.  In the 1980 disaster of the south bridge collapsing there was indeed a bus going down with the bridge with fatalities.  Then I heard other stories as well of the same area as a Coast Guard Cutter went down near the current Sunshine Skyway where the hands that perished aboard it are often seen as well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

roadman65

I have an errie feeling when I travel I-4 W Bound across Socrum Loop Road in Lakeland.  I for some reason have the feeling that if I do not slow down to 55 mph on that bridge I will roll over despite there is not a hazard there.  I usually drive anywhere from 70 to 80 there, and for some reason I cannot do over 55 coming to that in any of the 3 lanes. 

I feel that there might of been a fatal crash on that structure where the driver or passenger might still be there.  Crazy but definitely a weird feeling each drive across it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

I posted something about Old Stage Road in San Juan Bautista (part of the actual Spanish El Camino Real) on Gribblenation this morning.  Some of the commentators are talking about Old Stage Road being haunted by ghosts on moon lit nights. 

thspfc

Some people think that US-12 near Baraboo WI is haunted by a phantom hitchhiker. Having driven the road several times, I've never seen anything weird.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: thspfc on January 07, 2020, 10:15:19 PM
Some people think that US-12 near Baraboo WI is haunted by a phantom hitchhiker. Having driven the road several times, I've never seen anything weird.

A couple years ago I was driving on I-94 between Milwaukee and Madison late at night, in the long stretch of emptiness between Johnson Creek and Delafield. My headlights picked up what appeared to be a person walking on the shoulder that I passed, but it gave me a weird feeling like he wasn't really there. There were no towns or services for 10 miles in either direction, and I saw no abandoned or disabled vehicles that he could have left behind. I was trying to figure out where this dude could even have gotten onto the freeway since I was also miles between exits.

Maybe just some weird dude out for a nightly walk...
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

TheGrassGuy

Clinton Rd and Shades of Death Rd in NJ are full of crazy teens near the end of October.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.