News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Canusa Street – How does this work?

Started by ghYHZ, March 16, 2017, 04:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: empirestate on March 23, 2017, 12:37:53 AM
Quote from: kalvado on March 22, 2017, 11:21:17 AM
Quote from: empirestate on March 22, 2017, 09:54:31 AM
Well, my thinking was more that they cut through the dirt area that goes around and alongside the barrier.
I doubt a car would do that.

Your observation of cars and their drivers differs widely from mine, then. ;-)

That could possibly explain Lochinvar Drive, but not Loch Lomond Drive (without driving right through the middle of a grassy lawn, that is).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

empirestate

Quote from: kphoger on March 23, 2017, 01:40:21 PM
Quote from: empirestate on March 23, 2017, 12:37:53 AM
Quote from: kalvado on March 22, 2017, 11:21:17 AM
Quote from: empirestate on March 22, 2017, 09:54:31 AM
Well, my thinking was more that they cut through the dirt area that goes around and alongside the barrier.
I doubt a car would do that.

Your observation of cars and their drivers differs widely from mine, then. ;-)

That could possibly explain Lochinvar Drive, but not Loch Lomond Drive (without driving right through the middle of a grassy lawn, that is).

But is there anything to suggest that Loch Lomond was taken in one go? There's no boys playing ball there.

kphoger

Considering it's only a few blocks' drive to get from one side of the fence to the other, I think it's more likely the Google car did all the south dead-ends, then did all the north dead-ends, or vice versa.  A basketball game takes longer than that, so it's very probable the same kids would be there for both snapshots.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

empirestate

Quote from: kphoger on March 24, 2017, 01:06:01 PM
Considering it's only a few blocks' drive to get from one side of the fence to the other, I think it's more likely the Google car did all the south dead-ends, then did all the north dead-ends, or vice versa.  A basketball game takes longer than that, so it's very probable the same kids would be there for both snapshots.

Oh, I'm perfectly well sure that's what happened. I was talking about the appearance of things. Picture...another picture a few feet farther along...another picture a few feet farther along...two kids playing basketball, metal barricade...few feet farther along...whoops, now we're on the other side of the barricade, and there's the same two kids. It's just funny, see.

Quillz

It took me this entire topic to realize the street name was "Can-USA." I kept reading it as something like "Cah-noose-a."

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Quillz on April 06, 2017, 12:24:26 AM
It took me this entire topic to realize the street name was "Can-USA." I kept reading it as something like "Cah-noose-a."
Oh wow, you're right! I was thinking the same thing.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

1995hoo

I have no idea how they pronounce it, but I'd say "cuh-noose-uh." The name's origin is obvious, but I still read it as a word.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

spooky

I would say can-you-SAH, just to be different. Sometimes I like to put that emPHASis on the wrong sylLABle.

empirestate

Quote from: spooky on April 06, 2017, 10:59:11 AM
I would say can-you-SAH, just to be different. Sometimes I like to put that emPHASis on the wrong sylLABle.

If it were in Upstate NY, that would be totally apt. ;-)

Henry

This is certainly an interesting read!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: oscar on March 16, 2017, 08:55:12 PM
Quote from: Brandon on March 16, 2017, 11:34:00 AM
This is fucking insane, and reason #1 why border controls on the US/Canadian border are stupid.

So long as you have significant differences in policy (such as for gun ownership, or immigration) between the two countries, you need some kind of border controls.

There used to be no customs checkpoint between the neighboring towns Hyder AK and Stewart BC. There now is one just on the Canadian side. Hyder is very difficult to reach or leave except through Canada, so the U.S. isn't too worried about terrorists, etc. using Hyder as their point of entry into the U.S. Ditto for Canada, but they are worried about Stewart residents and other Canadians evading high alcohol and tobacco taxes by buying their stuff in Hyder. Until the customs checkpoint was established, Royal Canadian Mounted Police patrols kept a lookout for smugglers, as well as DUIs who didn't hang around Hyder long enough after getting "Hyderized" at a local bar.

Speaking of smuggling, the St. Regis/Akwesasne Indian Reserve was a place where cigarette smuggling pass from the US to Canada.
http://news.nationalpost.com/health/contraband-capital-the-akwesasne-mohawk-reserve-is-a-smuggling-conduit-police-say
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/akwesasne-area-an-ecstasy-smuggling-hotbed-1.1053124

Rothman

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on April 11, 2017, 04:33:38 PM
Quote from: oscar on March 16, 2017, 08:55:12 PM
Quote from: Brandon on March 16, 2017, 11:34:00 AM
This is fucking insane, and reason #1 why border controls on the US/Canadian border are stupid.

So long as you have significant differences in policy (such as for gun ownership, or immigration) between the two countries, you need some kind of border controls.

There used to be no customs checkpoint between the neighboring towns Hyder AK and Stewart BC. There now is one just on the Canadian side. Hyder is very difficult to reach or leave except through Canada, so the U.S. isn't too worried about terrorists, etc. using Hyder as their point of entry into the U.S. Ditto for Canada, but they are worried about Stewart residents and other Canadians evading high alcohol and tobacco taxes by buying their stuff in Hyder. Until the customs checkpoint was established, Royal Canadian Mounted Police patrols kept a lookout for smugglers, as well as DUIs who didn't hang around Hyder long enough after getting "Hyderized" at a local bar.

Speaking of smuggling, the St. Regis/Akwesasne Indian Reserve was a place where cigarette smuggling pass from the US to Canada.
http://news.nationalpost.com/health/contraband-capital-the-akwesasne-mohawk-reserve-is-a-smuggling-conduit-police-say
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/akwesasne-area-an-ecstasy-smuggling-hotbed-1.1053124

Heh.  It has been some years since I first heard about the tension between the Akwesasne and the federal government and State of NY, but at some point they were just blowing through any customs booth up there, putting the workers in danger.  This is because back in the 18th Century, a treaty was signed where they were guaranteed free movement into their lands by the Feds.

I forget what boneheaded move NY or the Feds made back then (about 10 years ago), but it ticked them off and caused them to start the protest by just driving through any customs checkpoint -- without hardly slowing down.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

They have plenty of tension with Canada too.  Roughly a decade ago there was an incident over Harper's decision to arm customs agents.  The ensuing riot was severe enough that the customs agents on Cornwall Island had to be evacuated to the US, and a "temporary" booth was established on the mainland (severing Brookdale Ave northbound until a couple years ago when the new northern bridge was built).  Now, traffic going between the island and the US is required to go to the mainland to clear customs and then turn around - making a previously free movement cost over six dollars.  The government even went so far as to move the toll booth to the mainland, even though it was not part of the dispute.

It's possible that Canada may one day operate their customs on the US side here, but I suspect the "temporary" arrangements that exist now are here to stay.  The "temporary" arrangements built with the new bridge don't look very temporary - in fact, were they to be removed, a good chunk of the surrounding roadway would have to be torn up and rebuilt!
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.0103248,-74.7378731,430m/data=!3m1!1e3
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: vdeane on April 12, 2017, 11:50:31 AM
It's possible that Canada may one day operate their customs on the US side here, but I suspect the "temporary" arrangements that exist now are here to stay.  The "temporary" arrangements built with the new bridge don't look very temporary - in fact, were they to be removed, a good chunk of the surrounding roadway would have to be torn up and rebuilt!
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.0103248,-74.7378731,430m/data=!3m1!1e3
I have to wonder how this dam's situation works...
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.0064218,-74.7949396,721m/data=!3m1!1e3
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

froggie

Regarding the pronunciation....according to a friend-of-a-friend who lives in Derby, it's pronounced Ka-new-saw

empirestate

Quote from: froggie on April 18, 2017, 07:19:25 AM
Regarding the pronunciation....according to a friend-of-a-friend who lives in Derby, it's pronounced Ka-new-saw

You mean like Arkansas (Ar-ken-saw)?

froggie

Ka, not ken.

Phonetically:  kə-nu-sɔ

empirestate

Quote from: froggie on April 18, 2017, 01:09:32 PM
Ka, not ken.

Phonetically:  kə-nu-sɔ

Yeah, I'm OK on the "ka" part; so it's "canoe saw" rather than "canoosa"? Or is it "can you saw", as in the sentence "Go back and grab that can you saw"? (I guess it's not the last one, if you have that schwa in the first syllable.)

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

US 89

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 10, 2017, 09:37:29 PM
Had to bump this.  One of the border houses is for sale.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/35636049/ever-wanted-to-live-in-two-countries-at-once-heres-your-chance

"So I have to go through customs every single time I leave and go to my house?"
"Well, yes"
*crosses off house on list*

This is one of those houses that will be on the market for years.

amroad17

If I bought that house, I guess I would have to build an extension to the back of the house and use that as a border crossing--part of it in the USA and the other part in Canada.  The guards could stay there and work their shifts.  Also, we could make them breakfast/lunch/dinner or go out for take-out as long as we pass through that room with our IDs and passports.

Anyway............, I guess the kids couldn't play kickball in the front yard.  A kid would kick the ball off the side of his/her foot or kick the ball too far, watch it bounce or fly across the street, and not get the ball back because you just could not simply walk across the street and pick it up.  I wonder if there is any ordinance/law/mandate that says the neighbor (or neighbour in Canada) couldn't throw it back across the street?

Canusa Street is crazier than the two streets side-by-side in Washington and British Columbia.  I really could not live there--too much hassle and paperwork involved--even for backing out of your own driveway!
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

michravera

Quote from: froggie on April 18, 2017, 07:19:25 AM
Probably meant to be "can you essay?"

corco

Quote from: roadguy2 on June 17, 2017, 12:27:49 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 10, 2017, 09:37:29 PM
Had to bump this.  One of the border houses is for sale.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/35636049/ever-wanted-to-live-in-two-countries-at-once-heres-your-chance

"So I have to go through customs every single time I leave and go to my house?"
"Well, yes"
*crosses off house on list*

This is one of those houses that will be on the market for years.

And frankly, I'd bet CBP wants it that way - I'm almost certain they want these homes to go unsold and go away through attrition so as not to have to deal with these abnormalities. They can't overtly kick folks out and have to accommodate the people that live there, but they can make it miserable enough that nobody new wants to move in.

I want to live there just to stick it to the man.

english si

Quote from: corco on June 18, 2017, 03:01:33 PMAnd frankly, I'd bet CBP wants it that way - I'm almost certain they want these homes to go unsold and go away through attrition so as not to have to deal with these abnormalities. They can't overtly kick folks out and have to accommodate the people that live there, but they can make it miserable enough that nobody new wants to move in.
This is surely a practise employed on the highways? Certainly it was policy implemented on the A406 North Circular near Wembley in London: a 1930s arterial that was gradually widened to a 6-lane road that they wanted to make access controlled, so bought up housing as it became available and rented it out while they waited to get the set. About 5 years ago, they gave up and the houses are now far less grotty looking.

PS: is the MS/TN line barrier actually traffic calming? like this in Southampton, UK - there was a plan to make the whole city have a firm hierachy of streets with no through roads outside of the distributor ones and existing streets stopped up mid-way like this. They did a few and then left it alone.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.