News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

UK to become part of North America

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, April 01, 2017, 07:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

So it seems the Brexit thing is far worse than expected. Apparently it's not just about leaving the EU, but also about leaving Europe completely and joining another continent, most likely North America (well, except for geographical position, which is impossible to change), with all the changes it implies: switching regions in worldwide organizations that divide Earth in several sections, some technological changes (however they will be allowed to continue using PAL rather than switching to NTSC), etc. This, however, doesn't affect map makers, which may choose to include an inset showing the UK in their North America maps or not. After all, they don't include the French overseas departments (Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guiana, Reunion and Mayotte, the first three physically in the Americas, the latter two in Africa) as insets in their Europe maps.

So all this may make the UK to revert the decission of leaving the EU (and thus leaving Europe completely), since it would have an astronomical cost to do all the changes. But they have to negotiate first.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

I-39

Yet another Nineteen Eighty-Four prophecy that has come true. In the book, Europe is absorbed by Russia (which becomes the country of Eurasia) except for Britain, which is annexed to the United States and becomes the country of Oceania.

Creepy!  :-D

nexus73

In the Japanese anime series "Code Geass: Lelouch Of The Rebellion", the Britannian Empire is the greatest power of all.  It began when Napoleon won and the British royal family moved to North America.  Their enemies are the EU and the Chinese Federation while what we call Russia is part of the Empire.

Code is the power of immortality.  Geass is the power to do "something" with whatever that is differing from individual to individual.  Two seasons were made with a third one coming out this year after a long hiatus.  A supplementary series called "Akito The Exiled" fills in the gap between the first two seasons.  If you like complex storylines, powerful mechs, a bit of fanservice and a fine portrayal of philosophies in conflict, it will float your boat.  Subtitled and English dubbed versions are available for the first two seasons on YouTube with two episodes of "Akito The Exiled" being completed in such fashion and more on the way.

Rick 
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Life in Paradise

wxfree

This reminds me of something I read, I think it was a comment in the American Voices section on The Onion, about the UK vote to leave the EU and how their next vote should be on whether to become a Caribbean island.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

CNGL-Leudimin

Obviously I did this as part of April Fools. I thought several options, like the Hypotenuse freeway being approved, IDOT (the Illinois one) being renamed to IDiOT, or even just making a fool thread with a title like "How many toddlers' foreskins have you pulled back?" (Not to be taken seriously), but finally decided to make something related to the so-called Brexit. Coincidentally a Spanish newspaper published a humoristic map depicting UK being moved to near North America, but that was just coincidental as in Spain the pranks day is December 28th, not April 1st.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

woodpusher

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 02, 2017, 08:25:38 AM
Obviously I did this as part of April Fools. I thought several options, like the Hypotenuse freeway being approved, ...

There are quite a few Euclid Avenues around the country...

Desert Man

Quote from: woodpusher on April 02, 2017, 10:31:51 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 02, 2017, 08:25:38 AM
Obviously I did this as part of April Fools. I thought several options, like the Hypotenuse freeway being approved, ...

There are quite a few Euclid Avenues around the country...

Like one Euclid Avenue in Chino-Ontario-Upland, CA, also known as CA-SR-83. Take a nice drive on it sometime. You may find an agri-reserve south of Ontario-east of Chino where dairies can be found, and many of the dairy owners are of Dutch and Portuguese descent. Euclid Avenue meets Foothill Blvd. (Historic US Route 66) in Upland, the town touches the San Bernardino-Los Angeles county line.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.