News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Mixed-case DMS messages

Started by Pink Jazz, April 03, 2017, 01:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

I was wondering, does anyone know of examples where DMS messages are displayed in mixed case?  Usually DMS messages are displayed all-caps.

This morning I actually saw one of the new Skyline full matrix DMS displaying a test message in lowercase letters on the Loop 202 SanTan Freeway.  I have never seen lowercase letters at all before on an ADOT DMS.  This makes me wonder of ADOT plans on displaying mixed case messages in the future on their DMS.

Outside of Arizona, I know NMDOT displays its travel times around Albuquerque in mixed case.

roadman

Standard CMS testing now includes the display of lower-case lettering as a test condition.  As for the actual messages, note that the majority of CMS messages are regulatory, warning, or advisory in nature.  So, with the exception of displaying specific destinations (such as in travel time messages), the use of mixed-case lettering would be inappropriate for CMS messages.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

formulanone

Here's a mixed-case message on I-29 in Missouri (February 2014):

It's more of a nudge than a travel warning.

Pink Jazz

According to a post on Facebook from ADOT, there are no plans to display DMS messages in mixed case.

jeffandnicole

Approaching the Walt Whitman Bridge coming from NJ, if there are 4 lanes open for PA Bound Traffic, the VMS signs usually state in mixed case:

Welcome to the
Walt Whitman
       Bridge

When used to show the Left Lane Closed (or any other conditions), the signage will be in all caps.

PurdueBill

I've seen messages on portable types in Ohio with mixed case or even all-lowercase, probably from someone being in a hurry putting the info in, or not caring. 

But agreed with Roadman that (as mentioned by jeffandnicole re the Walt Whitman Bridge example) messages on the signs that would be in all-caps on regular signs (like Left Lane Closed) should be in all-caps on a VMS. 
The fancy full-graphics ones like in use on the NJ Turnpike that can depict anything can certainly use mixed-case for when they mimic a BGS (I recall a pic from maybe Minnesota of that type of thing, a VMS depicting a BGS when not in use for an urgent message) but otherwise all-caps seems appropriate since the message usually won't involve mixed-case destination legend.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.