News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

States with the best and worst BGS designs

Started by Mergingtraffic, April 16, 2017, 07:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

Quote from: kphoger on April 21, 2017, 11:29:47 AM
Then there's the matter of being able to recognize a state's outline for AL & AR & FL & GA & OH & OK (!) & SD.  I suspect a lot of drivers wouldn't be able to identify half of those states by outline.

Louisiana wins here. Drivers get three cues: the state shape, the state abbreviation, and the potholes in the road.  :spin:
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

vdeane

I think ND and SD are an interesting case.  Both states now use their state outline, but they're both rectangle states.  Sure, SD's shield has a green background, but that won't do squat on a guide sign, unless ND plans to be the next NJ.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Enough state shield nonsense.  Let's get back to BGSes.

I think Missouri is up there with Kansas as far as good BGSes go.

And Oklahoma is schlock.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

Eth

Quote from: lordsutch on April 17, 2017, 11:57:21 PM
Quote from: OracleUsr on April 17, 2017, 11:07:29 PM
GA is moving away from the Unisign

Yep, and they're going to disappear fast because virtually all of them date from the conversion to mileage-based exit numbering and are at their end of life. The ones on GA 400 and Loop 10 might stick around longer, though.

Some of them on 400, especially near I-285, have already been replaced. Don't know about Athens, though those signs are probably newer since they renumbered those exits at a later date (switched to mileage-based, and I believe also changed the progression from clockwise to counterclockwise).

(For those not familiar with the GA exit renumbering, that was done back in 1999-2000, so the signs referred to here are approaching 20 years old.)

--

To throw my opinion into the ring, NC and FL are among the best, and I think GA's new ones are also nice when done properly (big caveat there). Meanwhile, VA and MD were fairly bad around the time I lived there, which was when they were just starting to use Clearview. (Not because it was Clearview, but because it was badly-done Clearview.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.