News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Clusterfucked interchanges

Started by ColossalBlocks, April 19, 2017, 11:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: Rothman on April 21, 2017, 02:35:50 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on April 21, 2017, 01:21:25 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 21, 2017, 01:18:03 PM
His location says "Delaware," so I assume the Wilmington area.
Yes I am thank you kp. I wish they would realize that lack of transportation in delaware is the reason it isnt growing as fast. Maybe the new 301 highway will change things.
I don't know about that.  I think the bigger issue is lack of population and no attractions for increased move-ins in the Slower Lower.  Building larger roads will not fix those conditions.
301 can be viewed as a reliever route for I-95, though. I took that to get to a film festival in Middletown back in 2015, and on my most recent road trip to NYC, I took that way both north and south. I'm kind of disappointed I didn't stop at that restaurant in Port Royal Crossroads, Virginia on my way up, but I wasn't that hungry at the time.

Anyway, getting back on topic, how about I-87-287-NY 17 in Suffern, New York. Did I mention that I liked it better before? I think I have.

noelbotevera

Quote from: formulanone on April 19, 2017, 07:28:35 PM
Quote from: oscar on April 19, 2017, 02:37:44 PM
Quote from: ColossalBlocks on April 19, 2017, 11:16:29 AM
What are some interchanges in your state/city that always seem to be completely clusterfucked?

ColossalBlocks, what are your your examples?

Thanks, now I know it's not just me that finds the daily "post-thread-and-runaway" tactic a bit annoying.
I'll admit, I have done it before. I should post more often in my threads, but my posts aren't terribly substantial and arguments I make are weak.

Let's give it up for...the Eisenhower Interchange in Harrisburg!
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: sparker on April 21, 2017, 04:39:25 AM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on April 20, 2017, 10:08:33 PM
I'll nominate the 55 cloverleaf at Crump Blvd for Tennessee

iPhone

I was under the impression that that interchange was in the process of rebuilding (unless for some reason TNDOT pulled the funding) with through lanes for 55.  For several years in the early '00's I was on that very road on trips to Atlanta and -- just like anyone with any sense -- found the arrangement almost laughable in either direction.  I certainly hope the project is still active and underway!

Since I've been there (about a month ago) it's just a 2 lanes cloverleaf 55 northbound. Which if a semi is taking is really one lane.

iPhone

jlwm

The 610 West Loop/ I-69/US59 Southwest Freeway interchange.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7298623,-95.4569902,16.29z

It's an early 4-level stack completed in 1962. It was Houston's first stack interchange that's remained relatively unchanged over the last 55 years save a few modifications. Since it originally opened, it's become one of the state's largest bottlenecks, complicated by the fact that it's in close proximity to the Galleria and Uptown, the nearby terminus of the Westpark Tollway, sharp ramps with not enough capacity, and weaving issues caused by exit and entrance ramps to and from nearby Chimney Rock Blvd. on 69/59.

There's a fix coming soon. Over the next few years, the interchange will be rebuilt to eliminate many of the problems. Construction is slated to start later this year and wrap up in 2021.
http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/houston/59-610.html

roadman65

I think this whole thread, though interesting topic for discussion, is pretty ambiguous as pretty much every urban interchange could be classified as that.  I-4 at Florida's Turnpike is one that backs up on to WB I-4 through a trumpet interchange, thus making traffic merging onto I-4 from Conroy Road have to wait in stand still traffic.  The weaving between the merge and exit and the double lane drop causes that of course, but the reason for the slowdown around the trumpet is a mystery.

The ramp is not a high speed flyover, but not one where you need to slow down to 5 mph either, although traffic does slow to a creep.  It is volume but then again even with the large amounts of cars and the fact the road is wide open after the curves and its not like every human is over paranoid to drive the trumpet its a mystery.  If it were the fact the volume of traffic, that would only account for a jam leading into the interchange not inside it.

Right now the I-4 ultimate is only doing some work to relieve it.  There are no plans to braid the ramps to stop the traffic problem from Conroy to WB I-4 which really needs, so its clusterfucked for a long time this one.  Maybe inside the ramp we will see improvements though, but not as long as you have the two ramps so close the before hand weave bottleneck won't go away.

I guess its which clusterfuck stands out more, so in Orlando that one takes the cake unless there are some on other freeways I have not yet discovered, but still one to be mentioned anyway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JMoses24

I present for your consideration, the I-71/Ridge Road/Norwood Lateral interchange. ESPECIALLY northbound.

https://goo.gl/maps/E9fq7xoNreJ2

Why? Mainly, this.

https://goo.gl/maps/HsDZUguWUWq

The two right lanes drop (although exit 8C is a not-insignificant distance past exit 8B), causing weaving as people realize too late that they are in an exit only lane. That leads to the requisite cluster-foxtrot every afternoon around, oh, 4:30pm or so.

kphoger

Quote from: JMoses24 on April 25, 2017, 01:18:20 PM
I present for your consideration, the I-71/Ridge Road/Norwood Lateral interchange. ESPECIALLY northbound.

https://goo.gl/maps/E9fq7xoNreJ2

Why? Mainly, this.

https://goo.gl/maps/HsDZUguWUWq

The two right lanes drop (although exit 8C is a not-insignificant distance past exit 8B), causing weaving as people realize too late that they are in an exit only lane. That leads to the requisite cluster-foxtrot every afternoon around, oh, 4:30pm or so.

That reminds me of where NB I-635 hits SB I-29 on the north end of Kansas City (a useful bypass of downtown if following I-35).  Two lanes of 635 traffic enter the highway, and then both of those lanes are exit-only at the next exit.  Fortunately, there's about a mile between the two points and traffic isn't super thick.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

RobbieL2415

I-95 and the Hutchison River Pkwy, Bronx, NY.

roadman

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I'll add I-95 (MA 128) at I-93 in Woburn/Reading/Stoneham (MA).  Failing a complete rebuild, which was first proposed in the early 1990s but has been stalled by the NIMBYS on one side and the Woburn politicians on the other side ever since, there are actually two relatively simple things MassDOT could do to improve traffic flow through this area.

First would be to extend the fourth lane on southbound I-95 (128), which currently begins at the end of the ramp from I-93 southbound, to the on-ramp from Route 28 southbound.  By adding an additional lane through the interchange, this would reduce much of the current conflict between southbound through traffic and traffic weaving to/from I-93 north and south.

Second would be to extend the added lane on northbound I-95 (128) between the ramps from I-93 northbound and Route 28 southbound to north of both Route 28 ramps.  This would give the traffic coming from the right "exit only" lane (former shoulder) between Montvale Avenue and I-95 north additional area to merge with the mainline traffic.  Of course, I-95 (128) should really be widened to four lanes each way between Stoneham and Lynnfield anyway, but that's a different subject altogether (that's a different subject).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

freebrickproductions

The I-65 and I-20/I-59 interchange in Birmingham, AL will be one of these once ALDOT's done with it.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

lordsutch

Quote from: sparker on April 21, 2017, 04:39:25 AM

I was under the impression that that interchange was in the process of rebuilding (unless for some reason TNDOT pulled the funding) with through lanes for 55.  For several years in the early '00's I was on that very road on trips to Atlanta and -- just like anyone with any sense -- found the arrangement almost laughable in either direction.  I certainly hope the project is still active and underway!

It was supposed to have started already but they delayed it to study doing the rebuild under traffic - originally the plan was to close the adjacent "old bridge" entirely during construction so it could be done faster and cheaper. Apparently there were also some problems with the traffic estimates, according to the project website.

A few years ago they did widen the NB loop ramp to two lanes and close the loop from EB Crump to NB Riverside, so it's no longer a full cloverleaf, which has helped a little bit.

RestrictOnTheHanger

My vote is the Kew Gardens interchange in Kew Gardens, Queens, NY. The Grand Central Parkway, Jackie Robinson Parkway, Van Wyck Expressway (I-678),  and Union Turnpike all intersect here.

Van Wyck Expy
Van Wyck Expy, Jamaica, NY 11435

https://goo.gl/maps/YXuzh5E4CTA2

Roadsguy

Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

hotdogPi

Quote from: roadman on April 25, 2017, 03:10:47 PM
Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I'll add I-95 (MA 128) at I-93 in Woburn/Reading/Stoneham (MA).  Failing a complete rebuild, which was first proposed in the early 1990s but has been stalled by the NIMBYS on one side and the Woburn politicians on the other side ever since, there are actually two relatively simple things MassDOT could do to improve traffic flow through this area.

First would be to extend the fourth lane on southbound I-95 (128), which currently begins at the end of the ramp from I-93 southbound, to the on-ramp from Route 28 southbound.  By adding an additional lane through the interchange, this would reduce much of the current conflict between southbound through traffic and traffic weaving to/from I-93 north and south.

Second would be to extend the added lane on northbound I-95 (128) between the ramps from I-93 northbound and Route 28 southbound to north of both Route 28 ramps.  This would give the traffic coming from the right "exit only" lane (former shoulder) between Montvale Avenue and I-95 north additional area to merge with the mainline traffic.  Of course, I-95 (128) should really be widened to four lanes each way between Stoneham and Lynnfield anyway, but that's a different subject altogether (that's a different subject).

That section of 128 is really bad during rush hour, but outside of rush hour, it's fine.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Roadgeekteen

It's not there anymore, but the Peobady interchange between I-95 and 128 used to make me carsick.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

roadman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 26, 2017, 10:11:58 AM
It's not there anymore, but the Peabody interchange between I-95 and 128 used to make me carsick.
I presume you mean when you had to use US 1 between Lynnfield and Danvers to get from I-95 to 128, before there was a direct interchange between the two roads.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: roadman on April 26, 2017, 10:51:54 AM
It's not there anymore, but the Peabody interchange between I-95 and 128 used to make me carsick.
I presume you mean when you had to use US 1 between Lynnfield and Danvers to get from I-95 to 128, before there was a direct interchange between the two roads.
No, ment between I-95 and 95.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

capt.ron

iPhone
Argh... I HATE that interchange with the intensity of 1000 suns! A while back TNDOT bandaided the interchange by adding a lane from NB i-55 to the bridge section but still, the interchange was a POS to begin with.

formulanone

Quote from: vdeane on April 21, 2017, 12:48:19 PM
Quote from: formulanone on April 20, 2017, 06:42:23 PM
I-476 and I-81 in Scranton strikes me as an elegant exercise in bureaucracy with all the tangled complexity of my vas deferens.

For sure, there's topography to get around; yet it seems like either a planned extension of I-476 just never occurred, somebody didn't want to give up the sweet lucre by installing a time-wasting tollbooth at the end, and nobody wanted it to connect directly to I-81 and US Route 11 for fear of missing Scranton by a mile.

Or something else? I'm not an expert in this area.
I-476 was indeed planned to extend north, all the way to NY along what is now I-81.  Thus, "exit" 131 was originally intended to, in fact, be a true exit (with US 6/11).  The connection to I-81 was grafted on later.  There are plans to fix this as part of the "Scranton Beltway" idea.  Could take a while to get done though.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for that.

capt.ron

Not exactly a clusterf**k but a crappy design to begin with: The I-15 / I-40 interchange in Barstow. For some reason, there is NO direct ramp from I-40 westbound to I-15 northbound. Why Caltrans after all these years didn't put one in is beyond me. The interchange dates back to the mid 60's!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: capt.ron on April 26, 2017, 11:55:33 AM
Not exactly a clusterf**k but a crappy design to begin with: The I-15 / I-40 interchange in Barstow. For some reason, there is NO direct ramp from I-40 westbound to I-15 northbound. Why Caltrans after all these years didn't put one in is beyond me. The interchange dates back to the mid 60's!
there is little reson to go that way. Only the residents of a few select towns would use it.

hm insulators

The I-405 interchange with US 101 in L.A.'s San Fernando Valley and I-605 and I-5 in I think it's Santa Fe Springs or Whittier or something like that. I-10 at the I-605 used to be another "clusterfuck" but didn't they do some construction work on that or is it still just a mess?
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 26, 2017, 11:02:56 AM
I think you need to elaborate regarding "not there anymore" (your words).  Both the direct-connection between I-95 & MA 128 (opened circa 1988) and the once-temporary/now permanent, partial-movement I-95/US 1 connection in Peabody built circa 1974 that Roadman referred to are still there.

If you were referring to the I-95 (MA 128)/US 1 interchange built circa 1962 at the Peabody/Lynnfield line; that one's still there as well.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 26, 2017, 02:34:27 PM
I think you need to elaborate regarding "not there anymore" (your words).  Both the direct-connection between I-95 & MA 128 (opened circa 1988) and the once-temporary/now permanent, partial-movement I-95/US 1 connection in Peabody built circa 1974 that Roadman referred to are still there.

If you were referring to the I-95 (MA 128)/US 1 interchange built circa 1962 at the Peabody/Lynnfield line; that one's still there as well.
Maybe I'm just stupid, but I clearly remember a big loop to stay on 95 north that is now gone.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 26, 2017, 04:00:06 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on April 26, 2017, 02:34:27 PM

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I clearly remember a big loop to stay on 95 north that is now gone.

There is a 120° change in direction, but a large angle by itself doesn't mean anything in terms of traffic.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.