News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Favorite Love to Hate Character Relationships on TV

Started by roadman65, April 19, 2017, 11:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I just thought I would start a thread about TV characters who have love to hate relationships on their respected shows.

So far one of my favorites is Odo and Quark on Star Trek DS9, as its fun to watch those two interact together on show episodes.

Second, is The Ropers from the late 70's sitcom Threes Company and later on their own show called the Ropers.  They had the perfect love to hate married relationship with Roper's stinginess and lack of romantic interest in his wife, who loved to point out all his faults and nag him to death making the two compatible in every sense for television sitcom relationships.

What are your favorite(s) character couples or duos that love to hate one another?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

chays

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

allniter89

BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

roadman

Major Boyington and Colonel Lard in Baa Baa Black Sheep (a.k.a. Black Sheep Squadron)

Commander McHale and Capitan Binghamton in McHale's Navy
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

sparker

jp the roadgeek

Archie and The Meathead, and for that matter, Archie and Edith.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Max Rockatansky

Goku and Vegeta, granted its a cartoon but I always found it amusing when I was a kid.

sparker

Got another one:  Mike Ross and Harvey Specter on Suits.  Also from that show: Louis Litt and pretty much the rest of the characters (his perpetual vindictiveness being the catalyst!).

The Nature Boy

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Henry

Molly and Peggy (Mike's mother) on Mike & Molly

Steve and Carl, also Steve and Laura, on Family Matters
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadman65

Quote from: The Nature Boy on April 21, 2017, 09:17:46 AM
Carla and Cliff from Cheers
Carla did not love to hate him, she hated him!  Also Cliff never fought back as he never had a comeback to her insults toward him.  So he was more afraid of her than loved to hate her!  Remember, Carla had bipolar disorder, although being the writers never said it exactly being its TV anything not normal is normal, which made her go off on the littlest thing and Cliff's unknown rants about unproven facts was what motivated her hate for him.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

The Nature Boy

Quote from: roadman65 on April 21, 2017, 12:25:15 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on April 21, 2017, 09:17:46 AM
Carla and Cliff from Cheers
Carla did not love to hate him, she hated him!  Also Cliff never fought back as he never had a comeback to her insults toward him.  So he was more afraid of her than loved to hate her!  Remember, Carla had bipolar disorder, although being the writers never said it exactly being its TV anything not normal is normal, which made her go off on the littlest thing and Cliff's unknown rants about unproven facts was what motivated her hate for him.

I always felt that there was some level of admiration there, if only because they occupied the same space for at least 11 years and were often included on a lot of the same things. They worked together at times (see: the pranks on Gary's) and weren't totally repulsed by being in the presence of the other. I just think that Carla saw Cliff as an easy target for barbs because he wouldn't fight back.

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

briantroutman

Am I misunderstanding the premise, or would the Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd characters on Moonlighting be the perfect example of this?

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

sparker

Jack and Mr. Floppy on Unhappily Ever After!  Of course, the stuffed rabbit doll was simply a manifestation of Jack's rage-and-booze-filled imagination; his "alter ego", so to speak.  But while the show was obviously a clone of "Married with Children", the "stunt rabbit" was pretty original and on occasion actually hilarious (being voiced by Bobcat Goldthwait didn't hurt!).  And Nikki Cox was awfully nice to look at!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.