Kimberling City Bridge (MO13 over Table Rock Lake) Closes due to high lake level

Started by intelati49, May 01, 2017, 02:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

intelati49

Video

Quote from: Stone County Emergency Management Center FacebookTable Rock Lake is going higher than what was originally anticipated. MoDOT just informed us that they're going to be closing the Kimberling City Bridge. This will be done as soon as they get staff to the location to make it happen. It's undetermined how long the bridge is going to be shut.

Current lake level

935.46 foot in April 2011 is the previous high level mark

kphoger

My wife is from Branson, so we've been looking at a lot of pictures and videos from that area that people have posted on Facebook or whatever.

Branson received an average of 6 inches of rain before 4:30 PM yesterday, and one lady posted that her rain gauge registered close to 9 inches yesterday.  We saw video footage of cabins literally floating away.  It took my mother-in-law more than an hour to get home from work at 10:15 PM, because she had to find a high-water route from one side of Taneycomo to the other.  All ten gates were open on the dam, and the weather advisory yesterday evening for residents in certain low areas included the words "GET OUT NOW!".  F Highway east of US-65 (which is where the owners of Silver Dollar City live, by the way) was closed completely, and I know several other state highways were closed as well.

Back before they bulldozed half the historical part of town by the river to make way for Branson Landing[/rant], high water would occasionally reach partway up the steps (and halfway across the campground) but never really made it to street level.  But the Landing is built below that high-water level, so it is especially prone to flooding such as this.  Why they chose to build a huge tourist zone in a flood-prone area is beyond us.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

intelati49

Quote from: kphoger on May 01, 2017, 03:07:55 PM
Back before they bulldozed half the historical part of town by the river to make way for Branson Landing[/rant], high water would occasionally reach partway up the steps (and halfway across the campground) but never really made it to street level.  But the Landing is built below that high-water level, so it is especially prone to flooding such as this.  Why they chose to build a huge tourist zone in a flood-prone area is beyond us.

No idea. It seems like it happens a couple times/year now.

But this year is basically the worst case scenario. Wouldn't be too surprised to see a new pool level record set

intelati49

Never got above the road (on the bridge at least), but got damned close. The road is back open as of yesterday

Scott5114

I mean, if it would have, it wouldn't have been the first MO-13 bridge under the waters of Table Rock Lake...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

intelati49

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 04, 2017, 10:33:35 PM
I mean, if it would have, it wouldn't have been the first MO-13 bridge under the waters of Table Rock Lake...

The best kind of correct. I guess the first time *that* bridge....... :pan:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.