News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Jackson Co, OK: Street Name Blades Identifying US Hwy's as CR's

Started by Brian556, May 12, 2017, 01:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

In Jackson County, Oklahoma, the County installs street name blades that identify US & State Highways as numbered county roads.
Why would the county assign numbers to State maintained highways?
Are these legacy numbers from before they were state highways? The fact that US 62 is CR 164, and OLD US 62 is Cr 164.5 makes me wonder.

US 62/ Old US 62 west of Headrick. This number shows up in Google Maps:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.6959804,-99.3336231,372m/data=!3m1!1e3

kphoger

I've noticed this before, but I'm having to drag the bottom of my memory.

Back in the mid-1990s, we had a CD-ROM mapping program that I used for trip planning.  This was back before Google Maps became a religion.  I noticed on that program that OK-136 between the Kansas state line and OK-3 was also labeled as CR-24 (it is also currently labeled as such on Google Maps).  But I never saw any signs in the field suggesting the road was actually CR-24.  Not sure what's going on in Oklahoma.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

txstateends

That ONE WAY sign is about as beat up as I've likely ever seen a sign.

Meanwhile, oh yes, the topic, this is the first time I've seen any locality street/blade sign a numbered (especially US) highway as a CR.  Really strange.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Brian556

Quote from txstateends:
QuoteThat ONE WAY sign is about as beat up as I've likely ever seen a sign.
Meanwhile, oh yes, the topic, this is the first time I've seen any locality street/blade sign a numbered (especially US) highway as a CR.  Really strange.

Interestingly, that was the only ODOT sign still on the state highway system that I saw that was deteriorated.

However, there are tons of old ODOT signs dating back to the 60's still standing on former state highways what are in horrible shape, but are really cool because of their age:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.6293842,-98.6327318,3a,22.8y,20.8h,87.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s87OkfiLllqaC2u4NrZcuuA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.