News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Non Interstate Service Plazas?

Started by DevalDragon, May 17, 2017, 02:34:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevalDragon

While traveling in New York City, I came across a Dunkin Donuts / Citgo gas station on the Hutchinson River Parkway.

https://goo.gl/mr8AkB <-Hutchinson River Service Plaza

How many other service plazas are there off the Interstate System? I know the Kentucky Parkway System has one, but are there any others?

https://goo.gl/GrWy9e <- Western KY Parkway Service Plaza

Max Rockatansky

Florida's Turnpike probably has more than anything else that will pop up on this thread.

jeffandnicole

All of the Garden State Parkway, all of the AC Expressway, and anything south of Interchange 6 on the NJ Turnpike.

hotdogPi

MA 128 (the segment that's not I-95) between exits 19 and 18 "north"bound has a service plaza.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

D-Dey65

Quote from: DevalDragon on May 17, 2017, 02:34:09 AM
While traveling in New York City, I came across a Dunkin Donuts / Citgo gas station on the Hutchinson River Parkway.

https://goo.gl/mr8AkB <-Hutchinson River Service Plaza

Yeah.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SB_Hutchinson_Pkwy_Service_Area;_East_Bronx.jpg <-Southbound.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:NB_Hutchinson_Pkwy_Service_Area;_East_Bronx.jpg <-Northbound.

Both in Schuylerville in the Bronx. Further north is a Mobil in the median.

You've also got a few on the Grand Central Parkway.

1995hoo

I haven't been on the road since July 2010, but for as long as I can remember there was a gas station (a Mobil for most of my life) in the median of the Belt Parkway just west of the Flatbush Avenue interchange.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

D-Dey65

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 17, 2017, 07:26:20 AM
I haven't been on the road since July 2010, but for as long as I can remember there was a gas station (a Mobil for most of my life) in the median of the Belt Parkway just west of the Flatbush Avenue interchange.
Still there when I saw it a couple of months ago, even with all the construction going on.

sbeaver44

Do the waysides on Skyline Drive count?  They have food and gas and cannot be accessed from another road?

Also, Belt Pkwy near the Brooklyn-Queens line has another area similar to the Hutchison River Pkwy mentioned above and Grand Central Pkwy has one by LGA.

Nexus 6P

Scott5114

The Cimarron, Muskogee (SH-351), and Indian Nation turnpikes in Oklahoma have them.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

D-Dey65

Quote from: sbeaver44 on May 17, 2017, 07:29:32 AMAlso, Belt Pkwy near the Brooklyn-Queens line has another area similar to the Hutchison River Pkwy mentioned above and Grand Central Pkwy has one by LGA.

Nexus 6P

Two of them actually. The third one is in the median west of Francis Lewis Boulevard.

dgolub

The (unsigned) NJ 700 section of the New Jersey Turnpike has service areas.

roadman

MA Route 24 at the I-495 interchange in Bridgewater/Raynham has service plazas.  The southbound plaza is located between the northbound and southbound ramps to I-495, the northbound plaza is located just beyond the northbound ramps.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jp the roadgeek

CT just upgraded their service areas on CT 15 (Merritt/Wilbur Cross Parkways, ironically a de facto extension of the Hutch Parkway) to include Dunkin Donuts, Subway, and convenience stores as they did on I-95.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

plain

I know this one is on an interstate so it doesn't have anything to do with this thread but I have a question about it:

Maine Tpk's northernmost service plaza is located on ME 126 to the north of the northernmost toll booth on I-95 and the ramp to this has no reentry back to northbound... instead it forces people to utilize I-295 to access I-95 north again, subjecting drivers to the toll on I-295 between ME 126 and I-95. Vice versa for southbound traffic for I-95. Is there some kind of voucher or receipt or something where drivers can prove the toll was already paid or do drivers have to pay 2 tolls just to access the service area???

https://goo.gl/maps/ULhLJe8MWUB2
Newark born, Richmond bred

epzik8

Are you talking about full service plazas with food and gas? If so, that excludes the Bay Country Rest Area along U.S. 301 in Queen Anne's County, Maryland, the U.S. 301 Maryland welcome center in Charles County just off the Nice Bridge, the couple of U.S. 13 Maryland welcome centers, and a couple of other Maryland ones.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

DevalDragon

Quote from: epzik8 on May 17, 2017, 12:17:16 PM
Are you talking about full service plazas with food and gas?

Yes. The type that are currently prohibited on Interstates that were not grandfathered in like the Maryland and Chesapeake Houses in Maryland.

SP Cook

Quote from: sbeaver44 on May 17, 2017, 07:29:32 AM
Do the waysides on Skyline Drive count? 

I would think that all of those places along Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway would count.  They are government owned leased out ventures specifically aimed at those on the highway.    Natchez Trace does not operate that way, IIRC, directing people off the parkway to nearby commercial ventures. 

1995hoo

Quote from: plain on May 17, 2017, 12:09:47 PM
I know this one is on an interstate so it doesn't have anything to do with this thread but I have a question about it:

Maine Tpk's northernmost service plaza is located on ME 126 to the north of the northernmost toll booth on I-95 and the ramp to this has no reentry back to northbound... instead it forces people to utilize I-295 to access I-95 north again, subjecting drivers to the toll on I-295 between ME 126 and I-95. Vice versa for southbound traffic for I-95. Is there some kind of voucher or receipt or something where drivers can prove the toll was already paid or do drivers have to pay 2 tolls just to access the service area???

https://goo.gl/maps/ULhLJe8MWUB2

Yes. We've discussed that plaza before. Here's one prior comment about how it works:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=11396.msg271999#msg271999
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sbeaver44

Quote from: SP Cook on May 17, 2017, 01:11:13 PM

I would think that all of those places along Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway would count.  They are government owned leased out ventures specifically aimed at those on the highway.    Natchez Trace does not operate that way, IIRC, directing people off the parkway to nearby commercial ventures.
And that answers my other question, which was going to be if Blue Ridge has them as well.  I've done all of Skyline Drive but unfortunately only a small section of Blue Ridge Pkwy.

Nexus 6P

Beeper1

There is a service plaza at the US-6 / MA-132 interchange in Barnstable on Cape Cod.  You enter it from MA-132, but it has direct ramps onto US-6 WB. 

slorydn1

Quote from: sbeaver44 on May 17, 2017, 02:16:32 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on May 17, 2017, 01:11:13 PM

And that answers my other question, which was going to be if Blue Ridge has them as well.  I've done all of Skyline Drive but unfortunately only a small section of Blue Ridge Pkwy.

Nexus 6P

Not really, not in the same sense that Skyline Drive has. There is one resturant/gift shop (Mabry Mill in Virginia) and a lodge close to the Waynesville/Balsam area of NC (the name of which I cannot seem to remember) and that's pretty much it. There are a couple of other lodges along the route, but these are not on the actual parkway right of way (there is another one in NC where we could have a debate if it's technically on the parkway or on the adjoining roadway but its not clear cut).

There is no gas on the parkway itself but there are several spots to jump off, get gas within a few minutes of the parkway and jump back on again.

I did the entire Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway/Smoky Mountains Parkway combo 2 years ago Memorial Day week. Front Royal VA all the way to Gatlinburg TN. The absolute best 2 days of laid back driving ever. You should try it sometime!
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

SP Cook

Quote from: slorydn1 on May 17, 2017, 10:55:12 PM

Not really, not in the same sense that Skyline Drive has. There is one resturant/gift shop (Mabry Mill in Virginia) and a lodge close to the Waynesville/Balsam area of NC (the name of which I cannot seem to remember) and that's pretty much it. There are a couple of other lodges along the route, but these are not on the actual parkway right of way (there is another one in NC where we could have a debate if it's technically on the parkway or on the adjoining roadway but its not clear cut).

There is no gas on the parkway itself but there are several spots to jump off, get gas within a few minutes of the parkway and jump back on again.

Wow, I guess I am getting old.   There used to be.    A couple of places, and they had covered the pumps with wooden slats to make them look "natural" (maybe a replica pump from a previous era would have been a better idea).  IIRC it was full serve, and pretty expensive.  Probably went away when all the stuff about insurance for underground tanks hit back in the 90s.

I need to do a new road trip for that road.  Been over 20 years.

bzakharin

Most service plazas around where I've been are on toll roads regardless of whether they are interstates. Obviously some listed in this thread are not toll roads, and there's the CT Turnpike which is no longer tolled (but is I-95).

cpzilliacus

Quote from: slorydn1 on May 17, 2017, 10:55:12 PM

I did the entire Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway/Smoky Mountains Parkway combo 2 years ago Memorial Day week. Front Royal VA all the way to Gatlinburg TN. The absolute best 2 days of laid back driving ever. You should try it sometime!

In the 1970's, there were gas stations (Amoco then) and small c-stores at regular intervals on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Last time I drove all of it in the 1990's, all of that was gone. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Roadgeekteen

The merit parkway has a good number. I think there is also one on Mass 24.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.