News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What would you do?

Started by Mergingtraffic, June 01, 2017, 03:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

A couple "what would you do" questions:

If you're at a T signalized intersection and there's a left and right exclusive turn lane.  You're in the right turn lane and there's someone at the light that doesn't turn right on red and it's a long light with no prohibition and no traffic on the cross street.  Do you honk to nudge them? or wait?

If you're at a signalized intersection with left, straight and right turn lanes, and you're in the straight lane but you want to turn right into the right hand turn lane but can't because somebody in the straight lane is blocking you from entering the right turn lane because they didn't move up as much as they could to the car in front of them...do you honk or wait?

If you're on a 2-lane limited access highway and you pass a car that's in the right lane and you see a car in the left lane that's way back there (you move into the left lane to pass the said car in the right lane b/c there's more than enough room for you to move over) and the left lane car honks and flashes his lights at you.  You're going 75, speed limit is 55.  What do you do? Ignore him? take your time? hurry up?

Or person in left lane of limited access highway going 50.  Do you flash your lights, honk or just go around?

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

US 89

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 01, 2017, 03:53:35 PM
If you're at a T signalized intersection and there's a left and right exclusive turn lane.  You're in the right turn lane and there's someone at the light that doesn't turn right on red and it's a long light with no prohibition and no traffic on the cross street.  Do you honk to nudge them? or wait?

Honk.

If you're at a signalized intersection with left, straight and right turn lanes, and you're in the straight lane but you want to turn right into the right hand turn lane but can't because somebody in the straight lane is blocking you from entering the right turn lane because they didn't move up as much as they could to the car in front of them...do you honk or wait?

Wait. It's your own fault for not getting into the right lane in the first place.

If you're on a 2-lane limited access highway and you pass a car that's in the right lane and you see a car in the left lane that's way back there (you move into the left lane to pass the said car in the right lane b/c there's more than enough room for you to move over) and the left lane car honks and flashes his lights at you.  You're going 75, speed limit is 55.  What do you do? Ignore him? take your time? hurry up?

Ignore him. You're already going 20mph over the limit and you didn't really put him in any danger. He's going to pass you anyway once you get back in the right lane.

Or person in left lane of limited access highway going 50.  Do you flash your lights, honk or just go around?

Just pass on the right. If he's smart, he'll eventually realize he's in the wrong lane and move over.

kkt

Wait.

Wait.  But if someone is behind me waiting to go straight, I just go straight and then look for a place to turn around.

Pass in a reasonably expeditious way and then move back to the right lane.

Just go around if there's space.  Drivers dimwitted enough to sit in the passing lane when there's traffic waiting to pass them is probably too dimwitted to notice flicking my lights.

You notice a theme: honking is for immediate danger:  I'm in your blind spot, please do not continue moving into me!  Not to express irritation.

Brandon

Honk lightly at first to wake them.  Then honk hard if they don't.

QuoteIf you're at a signalized intersection with left, straight and right turn lanes, and you're in the straight lane but you want to turn right into the right hand turn lane but can't because somebody in the straight lane is blocking you from entering the right turn lane because they didn't move up as much as they could to the car in front of them...do you honk or wait?

Continue straight and make a turn in the right direction (be it right or U) later.

QuoteIf you're on a 2-lane limited access highway and you pass a car that's in the right lane and you see a car in the left lane that's way back there (you move into the left lane to pass the said car in the right lane b/c there's more than enough room for you to move over) and the left lane car honks and flashes his lights at you.  You're going 75, speed limit is 55.  What do you do? Ignore him? take your time? hurry up?

If I'm not up to the vehicle (rare), then I move back over.  If I'm next to the vehicle, then buddy, you're going to have to be patient until I pass this car.

QuoteOr person in left lane of limited access highway going 50.  Do you flash your lights, honk or just go around?

Just go around.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

1995hoo

1) Honk once. If that doesn't work, well, nobody is required to turn on red. I honk once under the assumption someone isn't paying attention.

2) I interpret this as meaning you're trying to get into the turn lane where it starts, not that you got in the straight lane and changed your mind, and you would have no problem getting into the turn lane if people pulled up properly. I do honk in that situation, although I use more of a beep than a real honk, an effort to get their attention that I'd like to turn. I also pull as far to the right as I can to help make it clear what I want. (This happens all the time at the turn lane leading to our neighborhood when people leave a full carlength or more.)

3) Depends on how far back the other car is and how far along I am in passing.

4) Flash lights, then honk, then pass on the right.

In webny99's hypothetical, I'd probably speed up.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kkt

Quote from: webny99 on June 01, 2017, 06:33:08 PM
Another "what would you do"?

After passing someone, you get back in the right lane. The first in a string of cars behind you stays in your blind spot, refusing to pass or get over. You're approaching another truck - speed up or slow down?

Probably speed up, if I can get in front of the car in the left lane without cutting them off.  If I slowed down, I'd end up in the left lane behind the car that was sitting in my blind spot.

froggie

QuoteIf you're at a T signalized intersection and there's a left and right exclusive turn lane.  You're in the right turn lane and there's someone at the light that doesn't turn right on red and it's a long light with no prohibition and no traffic on the cross street.  Do you honk to nudge them? or wait?

This bothers a lot of drivers, including some commenters apparently.  However, as Hoo noted, the vehicle up front is under no obligation to turn on red.  Annoying, yes, but they're allowed to wait for the green.

ilpt4u

#3: Brake Check. If I'm getting the horn for doing 75 in a 55...yeah Brake Check.

jp the roadgeek

1.  Give it about 5-10 seconds, then honk lightly, wait 3 seconds, then honk heavier.

2. Wait, but signal and kind of nudge your way to the right if possible. 

3. Complete my pass, give a quick tap of the brakes, get over when possible, and give a dirty look as the jerk passes.  If it's dark and no one else is ahead on either side, I'll put the high beams on for a few seconds when he passes.

4. Go around.  I'm not an obnoxious idiot who believes in flashing my headlights unless I'm cut off by someone who doesn't signal.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Tonytone

A: Honk at them repeatedly, why are you stopping the flow of traffic, if it is legal to turn. That defeats the whole purpose of "TURN RIGHT ON RED" .

B: Well you can wait if traffic is packed, but if the person has space honk, they might not see you trying to enter the lane (because everyone looks at their phone) or they might just be an asshole  :hmmm: .

C: Just pass him and keep going. (Also in Drivers Ed class they tell you not to drive in packs, always drive by you're self) I do not understand why people get mad when you pass them because they are cruising in the left lane, especially when there are signs posted telling Slow traffic to keep left .

D: I'll flash my lights first, I've noticed in New Jersey on the turnpike people flash they're lights at you if your going to slow. I've had someone follow me on the highway and flash there lights at me because I did it to them, (they were in the left lane  :pan: ). But ill just go around, im always switching lanes.
Promoting Cities since 1998!

hotdogPi

Quote from: Tonytone on June 02, 2017, 03:13:22 AM
especially when there are signs posted telling Slow traffic to keep left .

Where in the United States does this happen?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

MNHighwayMan

I hope that's just a typo and Tonytone just meant to say "right," or else I want to know too so I can go rip that goddamn sign out of the ground myself. :bigass:

jeffandnicole

1.  Honk Lightly.  Then maybe honk again.  Then give up.

2.  Wait.   Because if you are so close to their ass that you can't pull out from behind them, you screwed up, not them.  If I parallel parked, I only need about 4 feet of space to pull back out into traffic, which is approximately the room you should leave between you and the car in front of you.

3.  Chances are, he wasn't "way back there".  If you're going 20 mph over the limit, pull into the left lane, and suddenly he's flashing his lights at you, either he's going way, way, way too fast, or he wasn't way back there.  In the former, you probably should've noticed how fast he's going, and stayed out of his way.  In the later, he was much closer than you thought.  That all said, I'll complete my passing and get back over.

4. Probably do all three.

After passing someone, you get back in the right lane. The first in a string of cars behind you stays in your blind spot, refusing to pass or get over. You're approaching another truck - speed up or slow down?

I usually speed up. 

This bothers a lot of drivers, including some commenters apparently.  However, as Hoo noted, the vehicle up front is under no obligation to turn on red.  Annoying, yes, but they're allowed to wait for the green.

Technically, in NJ, you are supposed to make that right turn after stopping.  Note use of the word "Shall":

Quote39:4-115.  The driver of a vehicle or the motorman of a streetcar: a. intending to turn to the right or left at an intersection where traffic is controlled by traffic control signals or by a traffic or police officer, shall proceed to make either turn with proper care to avoid accidents and, except as provided in b. below, only upon the "go" signal unless otherwise directed by a traffic or police officer, an official sign or special signal; or b. intending to turn right at an intersection where traffic is controlled by a traffic control signal shall, unless an official sign of the State, municipality, or county authority having jurisdiction over the intersection prohibits the same, proceed to make the turn upon a "stop" or "caution" signal with proper care to avoid accidents after coming to a full stop, observing traffic in all directions, yielding to other vehicular traffic traveling in a direction in which the turn will be made, and stopping and remaining stopped for pedestrians crossing the roadway within a marked crosswalk, or at an unmarked crosswalk, into which the driver is turning.  Both the approach for and the turn shall be made as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless such intersection is otherwise posted.

Besides, if you're allowed to do something, why not do it?  A Red light when you want to turn on red is the equivalent of a stop sign, except for vehicles mandated by law not permitted to turn right on red.

Beltway

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 01, 2017, 07:42:47 PM
#3: Brake Check. If I'm getting the horn for doing 75 in a 55...yeah Brake Check.

Shovel up for safety.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

Wait. He's under no obligation to turn right (except possibly in New Jersey, as the statute quoted upthread seems to indicate.) I will often use a red light to check an email or text (since doing so while stopped at a red light is explicitly legal in Kentucky.)

QuoteIf you're at a signalized intersection with left, straight and right turn lanes, and you're in the straight lane but you want to turn right into the right hand turn lane but can't because somebody in the straight lane is blocking you from entering the right turn lane because they didn't move up as much as they could to the car in front of them...do you honk or wait?

I wait. The driver in front is under no obligation to pull right up onto the next driver's bumper.

QuoteIf you're on a 2-lane limited access highway and you pass a car that's in the right lane and you see a car in the left lane that's way back there (you move into the left lane to pass the said car in the right lane b/c there's more than enough room for you to move over) and the left lane car honks and flashes his lights at you.  You're going 75, speed limit is 55.  What do you do? Ignore him? take your time? hurry up?

Screw him. I might just slow down to 70 or 65. I'm under no obligation to move over since I am also passing a slower vehicle. I'm also probably not going to be going 20 over, even with my V-1 running. In situations like this I wish there was a way to activate my brake lights without actually hitting the brake if he gets right on my bumper.

QuoteOr person in left lane of limited access highway going 50.  Do you flash your lights, honk or just go around?

Just go around. We have plenty of practice in Kentucky in dealing with Ohio drivers.  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

QuoteBesides, if you're allowed to do something, why not do it?

Plenty of possible reasons. Perhaps the lead driver feels he can't see well enough (I've had that happen when someone in another lane ignores the stop line).

Or, put differently....I'm "allowed" to fart all day long at work, but I don't do it.

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 02, 2017, 01:05:30 PM
Plenty of possible reasons. Perhaps the lead driver feels he can't see well enough (I've had that happen when someone in another lane ignores the stop line).

Or, put differently....I'm "allowed" to fart loudly all day long at work, but I don't do it.

Or belch loudly and frequently at work ... although in an office situation, management and Human Resources may have something to say about it, may try to find sanctions if it continues!     :-/

(Robert Coté, 2002)

vdeane

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 02, 2017, 08:33:27 AM
Technically, in NJ, you are supposed to make that right turn after stopping.  Note use of the word "Shall":

Quote39:4-115.  The driver of a vehicle or the motorman of a streetcar: a. intending to turn to the right or left at an intersection where traffic is controlled by traffic control signals or by a traffic or police officer, shall proceed to make either turn with proper care to avoid accidents and, except as provided in b. below, only upon the "go" signal unless otherwise directed by a traffic or police officer, an official sign or special signal; or b. intending to turn right at an intersection where traffic is controlled by a traffic control signal shall, unless an official sign of the State, municipality, or county authority having jurisdiction over the intersection prohibits the same, proceed to make the turn upon a "stop" or "caution" signal with proper care to avoid accidents after coming to a full stop, observing traffic in all directions, yielding to other vehicular traffic traveling in a direction in which the turn will be made, and stopping and remaining stopped for pedestrians crossing the roadway within a marked crosswalk, or at an unmarked crosswalk, into which the driver is turning.  Both the approach for and the turn shall be made as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless such intersection is otherwise posted.

Besides, if you're allowed to do something, why not do it?  A Red light when you want to turn on red is the equivalent of a stop sign, except for vehicles mandated by law not permitted to turn right on red.

I actually got honked at for not taking a right on red in NJ on the way to the Brick/Wall meet.  I was on NJ 70 east turning right onto CR 528 and between the stop line being so far back, the wide intersection, and the amount of traffic, I couldn't see a damn thing to my left.  Normally I'd just pull up a bit (especially given how far back the stop line was for the right lane), but at the time NJ still had red light cameras, and I didn't want to risk getting a ticket.  Plus I wasn't sure if right on red was even legal in NJ.  Unfortunately, being the first car in the lane, I had no way of observing how one typically handled this situation there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

Quote from: Beltway on June 02, 2017, 01:16:06 PM

Or, put differently....I'm "allowed" to fart all day long at work, but I don't do it.

Or belch loudly and frequently at work ... although in an office situation, management and Human Resources may have something to say about it, may try to find sanctions if it continues!     :-/

Heh, how timely, I just finished a 591 ml bottle of soda. The person who sits nearest to me is both female and in a supervisory role, so I will refrain from belching. (As to farting, I was thinking of the silent-but-stinky type.)

AlexandriaVA

Many times I have been honked at while waiting to make a right-on-red, and what the honker doesn't realize is that there is a pedestrian starting/finishing their crossing, and the honking car cannot see the pedestrian because their view is blocked by my car.

Unfortanately, one time a car whipped around me to (I suppose unhappy that I wasn't making a right-on-red) and nearly hit said pedestrian.

PHLBOS

Quote from: vdeane on June 02, 2017, 01:33:29 PMPlus I wasn't sure if right on red was even legal in NJ.
On a statewide basis, I believe right-on-red is legal in all 50 states & has been for decades.  However, it is not allowed in New York City (you likely already knew that).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

pumpkineater2

1) Wait. They're not obligated to turn on red.

2) Wait. It's my own fault for not planning ahead, and it's not the end of the world if I have to miss my turn and backtrack.

3) Pass car in the right lane normally, wait for other car to get right up on my bumper and then activate the windshield washers :awesomeface:.

4) I'd just go around them, however if the speed limit were say, 75, then this person must be out of their mind to be going 50 in the left lane, and would get a honk and/or a flash from me.

wbeny99's situation: Slow slightly to get right next to them, honk to get their attention, and try to wave them over. I did something similar to this once, and it worked.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 02, 2017, 01:40:02 PM
Quote from: Beltway on June 02, 2017, 01:16:06 PM

Or, put differently....I'm "allowed" to fart loudly all day long at work, but I don't do it.
Heh, how timely, I just finished a 591 ml bottle of soda. The person who sits nearest to me is both female and in a supervisory role, so I will refrain from belching. (As to farting, I was thinking of the silent-but-stinky type.)

I perfected the art of "gross belching" about 40 years ago. 
I got comments like, "that sounded like you were about to belch your guts out", or "that sounded like
you were about to puke all over the floor."
The "after belch" -- the belch that remains after the initial belch ends.  Also known as the residual belch.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

AlexandriaVA

https://vacode.org/2016/46.2/III/8/3/46.2-835/

Quote§ 46.2-835
Right turn on steady red light after stopping

QuoteNotwithstanding the provisions of § 46.2-833, except where a traffic control device is placed prohibiting turns on steady red, vehicular traffic facing a steady red circular signal, after coming to a full stop, may cautiously enter the intersection and make a right turn

Note that at least in Virginia (I presume in all other states as well), there is no obligation to turn right on red, even if clear and following a complete stop.

Tonytone

Quote from: 1 on June 02, 2017, 07:36:07 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on June 02, 2017, 03:13:22 AM
especially when there are signs posted telling Slow traffic to keep left .

Where in the United States does this happen?
I ment keep right

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.